The flight where check-in turned into chicken-up ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flight where check-in turned into chicken-up ...

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, uggboy! What a story!

Although I wouldn't be disappointed in travelling to Grenada in the Caribbean, it's understandable that Dr. Gamson was a bit miffed, but, let's face it, the readers of this article needs much more information so as to help to determine which party was at fault. It may just be likely that BA doesn't owe him anything, and he ended up in this predicament due to his inattentiveness when purchasing his airline tickets.

uggboy likes this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. There is definitely not enough information available to determine "who" is at fault. Hard to say what the best course of action is. Perhaps as a show of good faith, BA should reimburse the trip and replace it with another trip to the correct destination. On the other hand, asking the airline to pay out a small fortune for "pain and suffering" doesn't quite seem right. It doesn't say what the "three day ordeal" actually consisted of, but at some point don't you just have to give in and have fun where ever you've ended up? That's what I would have done. ;)

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's more info in the linked article.

The claim is that the tickets were bought from a BA agent at a call center in Florida and the E-Tickets said only Grenada, without an airport code, country, or flight duration shown. Also, there has already been a hearing an BA's motion to have part of the case dismissed, that motion was denied by the Judge.

If the facts are as alleged, I think Dr. Gamson may have a case.

uggboy, blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A spelling error in the city name by the ticket agent resulted in the country instead of the city, but the good Dr. (he's a dentist) obviously didn't check his tickets (e-ticket or not) for the correct airport code for the connecting flight out of London, nor did he see the error on the baggage tag to it's final destination, which he also should have looked at to be sure his luggage got to the final destination.

An article on NBCNews.com mentioned that he used 375,000 FF miles for the flights and paid for expensive hotels at the intended destination, and he's trying to get all his costs and missed hotel stays paid back. I'll try to find the link and post it on here.

Here's the NBCNews.com link: http://www.nbcnews.com/#/business/t...-after-landing-grenada-rather-granada-n138026

uggboy and Counsellor like this.
  6. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Problems like this are the reason they changed the official name of Dulles Airport (IAD) to Washington Dulles. Foreigners who were trying to get to the biggest city in Texas (Dallas) often ended up in the Virginia suburbs of DC. Those were mostly the Europeans. Asians who wanted to go to Dulles sometimes ended up in Texas. Just about every foreign accent scrambles "Dulles" and "Dallas" in some way.

I understand that some Texans who were trying to get back home ended up in Scranton. They're still trying to figure that one out. -DA1

7. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I truly am empathetic, whatever happened to the days of taking some personal responsibility for your plans? You really let someone book this for you and then took your hands off the controls until you were well into your flight? I'm not saying he shouldn't be reimbursed but if he took the trouble to book all these hotels and activities why didn't he double check the flights?