The flight was so bad, he wanted out!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Kalboz, May 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976, Aktchi, marcwint55 and 3 others like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify, the thread title was a joke, right? :) There was nothing wrong or uncomfortable with the flight, judging from the article.

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, Aktchi and Kalboz like this.
  4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how low you have to be for someone to have even a chance at opening such a door against the air pressure differential?

Flyer1976, uggboy, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, missed placing a wink/smile in the title ... apologies! :)

uggboy, marcwint55 and Aktchi like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is 1,500 feet, based on the pressure delta (1/2 PSI) making it "difficult but not impossible" to actually pull the door inwards to clear the stops and actually move it out of the opening.

Keep in mind that if you actually manage to open the door when there's even a slight pressure differential, things are going to go very, very wrong for you...

This happened with AA 1291 back in 2000, where the FA was basically "blown" out of the plane with/by the door. This was an A300 which didn't have vent flaps on the exit doors to prevent residual pressurization in the cabin from holding the doors in place, and the plane landed fully pressurized after climbing through 16k.

The vents basically open and slowly depressurize the cabin, but as this plane didn't have them, when the FA managed to open the door he was thrown out with it (reports say that the door "exploded open") and was killed when he landed on the tarmac (the slides hadn't even deployed yet).

I don't know if Airbus has actually addressed this yet, and I knew they got a lot of flack for it. Their argument was that the warning light on the door was sufficient to tell FAs that there was a pressure differential, but the light only illuminates if the door is disarmed and the engines are off -- something people might skimp on checking in the case of an emergency.

MX, Flyer1976, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  7. rosiew

rosiew Member

Status Points:
    I would be terrified if I were on that airplane

Kalboz likes this.