The End Of The $1 Coin Hassle

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Len Williams, Jul 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else seen the comments on this blog? I'm relatively new to the points/miles game (started about a year ago) and I'm kind of wondering why this "crosses the line," but blogs about $1 coins do not? Where is the line?

I wouldn't want to be attacked like this for sharing the wrong information so I would appreciate some guidance. I know FDing tricks and mistake fares are to be kept private until the deal is gone (right?).

Thanks, MP!

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anytime something that the community has figured out and then is made THAT public is never a positive. Granted we're functioning within the gray area of the intent of these kind of programs, but why call attention to ourselves? Just creates a lot of unintended consequences. I agree with you that this is as bad as screaming out loud about the coin program. Fortunately at MP we havent seen much of that cryptic crap the other site has.

4. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to point out that my post on this was to suggest an alternative way to meet the minimum spending requirements -NOT as a way to earn easy miles or points regularly.

However, I suspect that the strong opinions voiced against sharing is because folks may have been using Amazon Payments to regularly earn miles!

I'm still struggling to understand the fuss. I'm hardly the first blog to write about this! Is it the detail that some folks don't like?

5. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I imagine the fuss is because of the a-b-c structure of your post. Not only explained in detail, but with pictures!

Those who choose to use Amazon in this way will get quite upset if the gravy train ends. For reference, look at a presidential coin thread after the 99 box ordering was throttled.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Len Williams
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ATTABOY!

Keep up the great work!

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they don't like that you blog about it so openly, complete with screenshots.

Or maybe they don't like your bowtie, I don't know.

Either way, there's some scathing comments on that blog, like you just gave up the secret recipe for Coke or something. :)

kenbo, buschoi, Grace and 1 other person like this.
  8. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So is it the amount of detail that makes it "over the line?" Would it have been okay if he had posted it without the instructions and screen shots?

Everytime I google something concerning travel hacking or just frequent flying in general several FT threads come up. This is usually how I find the answer to a specific quesiton I have. I feel like FT has more readers than just a random blog I guess that's why this is confusing me. Is it because Daraius's blog doing well will personal benefit him?

Len Williams likes this.
  9. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    he looks like myron noodleman :/

Andyandy, Quasiconvexity and viguera like this.
  10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think your post is a bit more discreet here on MP, but a post on the other travel board may bring it undue attention, so let's discuss info and keep it a bit low key so the WSJ does not publish this info; otherwise, the golden goose will surely be gone.

lili and phsu like this.
  11. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to stay as active as I can on here and FT. But there just aren't enough hours in the day! This is the first time I've heard of this method and I thank you for sharing. I do agree things like this should be kept low key. I personally never re-post any information I learn from MP or FT to any other place.

12. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    <Dr. Who> Bowties are cool. </Dr. Who>

Hmac, DCA Rob, MrHalliday and 2 others like this.
  13. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything Dr. Who is cool....

14. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're upset because their attitude is: "Tell me the secret. Oooh, now I know, so don't tell anyone else so that we can keep it as long as we can for ourselves."

And yes, I knew about Amazon Payments long before the post and independently of FT.

15. Hahahahaha I have had the privilege of working with good ole myron a few times ... that guy has a good gig going. Nothing like what you would expect outside of on field character

16. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the only fair solution is to create a smaller subgroup of people on MP (and a larger one on FT). Details like Daraius and others have shared for our benefit would only be shared among the elite so that they could benefit. Perhaps they will be willing to tell it to others privately.

When we riff-raff get into these deals, it kills it for the elite group.

Okay, the above was obviously tongue-in-cheek. Until Randy and the directors come down and make bylaws that include what can and cannot be shared, I'll always vote for the guy who shares information with good intentions. Nothing lasts forever but more of us can get into it before it dies if we know about it. Some make no sense to me and I pass. Others seems like Home Runs. Daraius is serving up detailed information. Remember when you were a Newbie, when information was passed out and you had to figure out what it meant and how to take advantage of it?

There is no right or wrong here at issue, but I vote for information!

17. Len Williams
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I second that! Let the information be freely distributed.

worldtraveller2 and SnickersCatt like this.
  18. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to this & appreciate the info... I intend to use this the right way... For example, I owe my family some money for a gift I bought... This enables me to get some points & pay them back at the same time... I didn't realize amazon payments had no fees vs. paypal..... sorry to the "elites" out there, but you were all new to this at one time too....so I appreciate the info & even though I'm new, I won't ruin this for all of you, I promise!

jmrich1432 and Len Williams like this.
  19. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several of the people that support this post and the distribution of this information in this form, including the person who first blogged it, are categorizing those opposed to the post as 'elites' and people who 'use this regularly to get miles/points.' While it might be nice to pretend that they are more ethical, etc. the fact is that the blog specifically recommends circumventing Amazon Payment's T&C, costing Amazon money, and if followed is likely to result in the shutdown of your Amazon account and potentially the program itself (or at least heavier restrictions).

Quoting the T&Cs and giving lip-service to the T&Cs and to not abusing the system is simply that, lip service. It is clear from the post that the author is recommending abusing this system and spells out exactly how to do it, even if 'only for the signup bonuses,' as if that makes some moral or practical difference.

I think, and it appears that many critics agree, that there is a big difference between outlining how a system works and exposing potential work-arounds, and flat-out recommending that people abuse it with screen shots and expicit directions. The first leaves to the reader the moral judgment as to how to proceed and the second says that it is OK to abuse the system in a way that hurts the provider and everyone who attempts to use it within the T&Cs.

While I appreciate that it is all public knowledge, the fact that a lot of people, even on FT, MP, FW, etc., were unaware of it goes to show that it is not so widely known, otherwise there would be no point in posting the information. If people had put in a little bit of effort, they could have found out about this and how to use it responsibly. By handing it to a potentially large number of people who do not understand the risks or how to use it responsibly, this post multiplies the chance of people getting accounts closed and the whole system shutdown or modified. Even if this blog is mostly geared toward peopel on FT, MP, etc., it is far more accessible by Internet searches to those who have little incentive to keep the program going for others or knowledge about the dangers inherent in the post's recommendations.

Ike

richinaz, buschoi, MyTravels and 6 others like this.
  20. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right too!

21. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where I’ve read about the Amazon Payments venture (yes it's on several sites) the post are less-than-obvious (unlike coin threads), and are very explicit about one thing - to PM (Private Message) if you have questions and don’t publicly post a lot of questions, etc.

A public blogging goes against the spirit that has been consistent across several Bulletin Boards.

buschoi and iolaire like this.
  22. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All gravy trains have an ending, then a new one is found.

23. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best gravy trains are ones that are not talked about in public and last for years!

buschoi likes this.
  24. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the old timer just doesnt want to do the work to start the new train!

jmrich1432 likes this.
  25. marathon man
    Original Member

marathon man Silver Member

Status Points:
    yup! and I can think of a few that have but I aint sharing them here. And to make that possible, one would have to post great posts, spend time researching and coming out with ideas, having a unique way of communicating and inspiring others, help others, share information to those who share alike, and do all of that and more for a long time to be later welcomed into PMs and other areas to share and learn of new deals and offers and maintain old ones that should last if well managed.

buschoi likes this.