The Eleven Worst Airports for Connecting Flights and Layovers are...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Canarsie, Aug 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...found here. Be sure to read the article for further details.

Here is the list. Do you agree?

11. Baltimore/ Washington International Airport (BWI) Baltimore

10. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) Atlanta

9. McCarran International Airport (LAS) Las Vegas

8. San Francisco Intercontinental Airport (SFO) San Francisco

7. Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) Houston

6. Fort Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) Fort Lauderdale

5. Miami International Airport (MIA) Miami

4. O’Hare International Airport (ORD) Chicago

3. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Los Angeles

2. Dulles International Airport (IAD) Washington, D.C.

1. Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) Newark

flyingdawg, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no problems connecting in ORD twice last month.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with numbers 5, 6 , & 10 but I can think of worse airports like DTW JFK MEM.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

flyingdawg, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK can be a real PITA and I was not the least bit impressed with MIA last January...

ATL and DFW are just massive airports, but I have not had significant issues making a connection.

flyingdawg and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is hard to argue with the statistics, and the relative improvements too. Factually the worst of these looks stellar when compared with LHR, and a missed connection at many other large airports around the world is much worse than being stuck at Dulles. Thus, on this sole criterion I think US airports are fairly decent, even when thunderstorms close DFW or heavy snow discombobulates O'Hare. For any of you who think the worst of the US is bad I suggest trying to connect at LHR or LGW on a day when there is a light dusting of snow or a droplet of water in the sky.

NOTE: For the record I am suggesting that the worst connection problems in the US are much better than connection problems in most of the western world.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree especially with regard to LHR even in good weather. It amuses me to no end to read the comments of Brits on these boards when it come to some US airports ..but of course they dont have to connect at LHR do they?
    9 out of my last 10 arrivals there involved crappy bussing from a remote stand, there is ( no real or) close to efficient connection between terminals, even the new T5 lacks adequate signage and one is forced to fight ones way through the Royal Maze of shops to get anywhere.

flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as the list goes I must disagree with ORD, SFO or even LAS.
    And how in the world could PHL and JFK not make the top 10???:rolleyes:

flyingdawg and Gargoyle like this.
  8. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have any power of observation at all, you can
    negotiate any of these airports without too much
    trouble. I'd say that airports whose terminals are
    not connected behind security are all worse than
    interconnected ones, period.

Anyhow, the article has a split personality.
    Does this sound like #7 on a worst layover list? Or this #1?

9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The author of this article blew it ! He discusses layovers....

He used departure time as a metric when the key variable is whether you arrived on time.

If I'm making a connection and my plane arrives on time.... and I depart late, I still make my connection.

Now if I'm starting a trip, it's a different story... but for some reason I don't think this guy flies very much.

DTWBOB

flyingdawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo, which makes LAX suck-diddly-uck for connecting across terminals (AA->AS), much like JFK (AA->BA)...

SC Flier and flyingdawg like this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Connections at large airports with two different airlines often require the nose of a bloodhound, the insights of Indiana Jones and the legs of a hurdler. Even within the same airline I have had marathon level athletic events required to make connections in IAH, MSP and CLT. CLT has different levels so my mother needed two golf cart trips (each with a wait time for an available seat even after an airport aide called for one) to get to her connecting flight.
    I agree with many above that the author is not likely a frequent flyer and used metrics that are, at best, incomplete.
    I also agree that LHR has the potential for being the worst possible connecting airport.

flyingdawg and Sunshine7 like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agreed. ATL and ORD are big, but except for T5/Int'l at ORD, (and I don't know about the new int'l terminal at ATL) you don't have to exit and re-clear security. Therefore it's just a question of traveling a long distance between gates, but signage is relatively clear.

JFK is much more of a mess, and they all pale compared to places like CDG, (although it has improved greatly in the past two years), FCO, LHR, even AMS.

8MiHi and flyingdawg like this.
  13. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind when connecting flights are delayed, or if I'm late arriving at a connecting airport but still have lots of time, but our 120-minute connection in ORD on an MCO-ORD-YQR flight in February turned into a 40-minute connection thanks to rescheduling, plus late departure. Let me add we had two small children in our party of seven and we had to change terminals as we arrived UA mainline and departed UAX. Thanks to learning about the bus service United has behind security, we made our connecting flight with 15 minutes to spare, but it was still stressful.

flyingdawg and 8MiHi like this.
  14. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. ATL and ORD can be a real bear when making int'l/domestic connnections. But this is really only due to the sheer number of miles one must cover. How JFK was overlooked for this list is beyond me? I've only had limited experience with domestic connections at LAX, but I can see where that routine would get old very quick.

8MiHi likes this.
  15. circi

circi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had no issues at ATL or ORD but getting out of PHL has been a flippin' nightmare for me. I'm guessing it's not on the list only because it's not used often as a connecting flight.