The Dumb Way We Board Airplanes Remains Impervious to Good Data

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gregm, Apr 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the conference calls that come with earnings reports attracted exhausted travelers instead of financial analysts and journalists, there’s no way Delta, United, American, and Southwest could make it through the week without getting an earful about the agonies of boarding an airplane.

While airlines policies vary—there is no standard accepted way of loading passengers—any “eye test” indicates that having travelers line up at the gate, only to wait again inside the plane, isn’t efficient. Data back this up: Boeing’s research showed that boarding a plane was 50 percent slower in 1998 than in 1970. “Boeing believes that these trends will continue,” the study noted, “unless the root causes are understood and new tools and processes are developed to reverse the trend.”

http://www.businessweek.com/article...ains-impervious-to-good-data?campaign_id=yhoo

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boeing should stick to building planes. It doesn't take much research to determine that the invention of roll-a-boards (they never existed in 1970) and their use by all pax are the main reason for slowing the boarding process.
    Of course the recent phenomenon of charging/restricting checked luggage has only exacerbated the problem but I remember back to well in the 80s when all I used to take on board was my passport or ticket folder.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    In defense of the roll-aboards, it's the old overheads that can't handle the average one. ("2" side of the MDs, older 767s, etc) If the airlines are spending cash to update the interiors, the least they can do is replace the undersized bins or make extensions, like for the 757s.

4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's only so much room on the smaller aircraft to try to increase the size of the bins much more. Better checked luggage handling and security along with the expectations of a reasonable wait time at the carousels might help to alleviate the costs of checking a bag. And not making carry on luggage sizing rules that are never enforced won't speed up the boarding process, as watching someone trying to squeeze an oversized duffle bag in an undersized overhead is neither interesting nor efficient while three quarters of the plane has to wait in the aisle or jetbridge.

gregm likes this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can understand first class boarding first. What I dont understand is if I am sitting in the back of the plane, why do I have to walk past every filled row? Is it people boarding outside of their zone, or do that many people have status and credit cards that allow earlier boarding?

6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about your iPad and Laptop? lol

gregm likes this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smartphones are getting more and more capable of doing much of what they can do and are much smaller.

Flyer1976, gregm and vickers like this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    And laptops and ipads didnt exist in the 80's. ;)

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite frankly, I have my opinion why boarding is so screwy as you describe. The GAs are unable to enforce pre-boarding as they can't ask "so what is your disability?" And half the Y pax have Priority Boarding from CCs. What's left?

10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points. Also, has anyone ever been turned back if they tried to board before their zone was called? Ive never seen it.

LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  11. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither did hotel's business centers with computers and printers, nor did your office with the same, or your home pc with even more features. So while flying, make your smaller, lighter, almost as capable smartphone your toy on board and wait until you land to make those conference calls, video games, printing your coupons and other important needs that can wait until you get to terrafirma instead of causing others to wait while you argue that your carryon fits in the overhead or hold up the boarding lines waiting to put their backsides into their seats.

Other choice: Private executive jets let you bring everything including the kitchen sink on board if you can get it through the aircraft's door. ;):rolleyes:

vickers likes this.
  12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always check a bag when I travel. Im an over-packer. lol. Never put anything in the overhead bin either. I just have my backpack that contains my work laptop, personal laptop, ipad, 2 cell phones, mifi, and chargers. :) Yeah, im a pain in the ass through security though.

LETTERBOY, gregm and blackjack-21 like this.
  13. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess you've been on flights from EWR/ATL to PBI to have seen the boarding disability that's suddenly cured when deplaning, almost miraculously?

gregm and vickers like this.
  14. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen the GAs gently question by asking 'are you pre-boarding" as an obviously able-bodied person approached and redirected them if they were honest and replied "no".

LETTERBOY, vickers and blackjack-21 like this.
  15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's everywhere!

Flyer1976 and blackjack-21 like this.
  16. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you're saying that you're the one who's holding up the long lineups at the scanners and patdowns and shoe and belt removals while I'm standing there holding up my now-beltless pants in my stocking feet?

Thanks much!:rolleyes:

gregm and vickers like this.
  17. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even at FLL???

gregm likes this.
  18. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. My bad. Lol

blackjack-21 likes this.
  19. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I didn't get you a bin. Yes I do need all 5. :)

blackjack-21 likes this.
  20. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too late as usual! I got two bins for my sport jacket, western boots, and belt, and my wife has two for her purse, shoes, and other necessities, so you'll have to hopefully move to another lineup to search for your other four bins at which time we'll be through faster then you'd even imagine in your wildest dreams and head to the lounge ahead of you to consume all the consumptables before you're even throught the lineups.

vickers likes this.
  21. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially at FLL. :mad:

Flyer1976 and blackjack-21 like this.
  22. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think all of the boarding problems would be solved if the airlines initiated nonstop flights from the NY area and even ATL to Naples, Florida instead of having to first fly to RSW or FLL and either rent a car or take the six seaters the rest of the way there (only if I can sit in the right seat), as that would mean that those lineup and seat and overhead abusers would be left to their senior's flights while leaving all the rest of us, who obviously know better, to enjoy a pleasant nonstopper to the comfort, relaxation, nicer beaches, great fishing, excellent restaurants, of a quieter, with no SpringBreaker nonsense, smaller city.

gregm likes this.
  23. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget "and the chance to run into Judge Judy."

24. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen it happen to others numerous times.

anileze, LETTERBOY and vickers like this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was on a PBI-LGA flight and there were 42 wheelchair pax boarding! This took an hour to do these preboards and the flight was delayed.

Miraculously, upon arrival in LGA, only 6 still needed a wheelchair. (I was in row 1 and heard the ground agent confirm the count with the FA.). A few hours in Y in DL proved highly therapeutic for these people who just hours ago couldn't walk!