The Doughnut Vault- A lot of Taste in a Tiny Space

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by MLW20, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Before heading to Chicago I did a little research to find out some interesting things to do. I had been to Chicago a few years back with Kim and wanted to find some places to visit that seemed a little more off the beaten path.

One of the places I came across was a tiny doughnut shop that was only open a couple of hours a day. Let me explain. The Doughnut Vault makes around 1,000 doughnuts per day and keeps very odd business hours. They are open Tues.-Fri. 8:00am 'til Sold Out and Saturdays 9:30am 'til Sold Out. You read that right- they have opening hours but no real closing hours. Once they sell out of their doughnuts, that's it for the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We only had around 48 Hours in Chicago and trying out the Doughnut Vault was at the top of my list of things to do. It took a bit of effort to get inside the vault. On Friday morning my brother and I arrived at 11:00am and the doors were already locked. The friendly girl that works there opened the door and apologized, explaining that they were already sold out. She said that they had sold out early, about an hour before we got there. Pretty amazing- two hours open and 1,000 doughnuts sold.

I was a bit disappointed that I missed out on trying the doughnuts. I figured that I would have to try to get there on my next trip to Chicago not that I was sure when that would be...

Check out the rest of the post HERE

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing how many they sell in a relatively short time. Thanks for sharing this "secret" with us.:)

MLW20 likes this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes me want to make a trip to Chicago.

Also Michael. Posted on your blog about a Cuban Sandwich Shop in Ybor City that does the same thing with Cuban Sandwiches.

uggboy and MLW20 like this.
  4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like an interesting gimmick. I'm sure if you only headed there late, you'd get tired of having the door locked on you all the time. At least the doughnuts should be fresh!

uggboy likes this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They were pretty good doughnuts! Thanks for the comment on my blog! We loved Ybor City when we visited a few years back but I did not know about this sandwich shop. It sounds awesome!
    I am thinking that if the place was sold out too many times you'd make it a point to get there earlier!

uggboy likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and uggboy like this.