The DL attack on AS, and now WN joins in

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Seacarl, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL has announced flights that will compete with AS from SEA to ANC, FAI, JNU, YVR, PDX, SFO, LAX and LAS (as well as ATL, MSP and SLC). Many of them with decent frequency.

And now WN has announced service from SAN to MCO, PDX and SEA, all AS routes. When WN started SJC-AUS, AS soon retreated from that route, so at least SAN to MCO seems like it become a casualty.

Sure seems like a lot of new competition for AS, and likely a need to reduce capacity on some of these routes. Where do they go now?

2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my understanding the SAN-MCO flight for AS wasn't really doing that well. To the average traveling public I don't know what this means... but for Southwest's loyal CA-based customers this is nice for them since they will no longer have to connect at PHX/LAS/OAK. I think the growth of AS' service to Hawaii may help them keep those routes going at SAN to an extent but since so many of their Hawaii flights leave the West Coast in the morning and turn in the islands to return at 10-11pm their same-day connections aren't really all that good.

If you are a resident of Alaska and in AS' club 49... I would think even mild loyalty would be hard for DL to steal. On the face of it DL's fares are much higher right now anyway, but they may get some of the leisure market... which can't be much this time of year.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I do hope AS comes out on top. It would be a shame for them to have to cut back their operation at SAN so much after opening a new FA base and expanding service, but that's the way the game works.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    arshavin likes this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noooooooooooooo........

I'd hate to see that. They really do have a good thing going for them.

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points: