The 'devaluation' of UA miles got you down and wanna burn and go? Then go shopping!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Mar 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got this in the email [the entire image below is the link to the online UA shopping site]:

UA shop spree.png
    The last time I clicked the link to one of these UA shop with miles offers, it was around "Black Friday 2012" and I wound up with a 16-mega pix Canon for just 12.7K RDMs that's been working great during my travels. It was a nugget that was hidden in plain sight in the offering that got snatched up within minutes after I announced the deal here.

Well, it seems that great savings are offered again this time, but you must log in with your elite status to get this benefit! Below is an example of deals that one can get. So, go ahead. Burn those now worthless UA miles!

UA shop spree2.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., the elites can save $ on purchases from an airline-sponsored merchandise website. It's important to take a good look at the math before purchasing. The bottom line is that the airlines very much want you to use your miles on anything else besides air travel. And, even with a devaluation, there's still some long-haul flights worth taking with those hard-earned miles.

8MiHi, NYCUA1K, goalie and 1 other person like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    All true statements I believe. Purchasing greatly discounted items with miles as an elite makes sense if (a) one has RDMs to burn or (b) one was going to spend real cash to get an item anyway. For (b), it might be useful to find out what the best deal for the desired item is in hard cash in order to compute the cpm, which may make it is easier to determine whether one was using the miles unwisely. My reason for going for an offer like this is definitely (a); as a long-haul 1K traveler I usually have RDMs to burn.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    8MiHi likes this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, too many hands take a piece of each transaction to make their regular pricing good deals. But back when I would get 100% bonus plus 25% bonus for using my Presidential Plus Credit Card to buy the flight I would find their sales worth leafing through. I even occasionally bought (a nice Bric rollaboard for better than 2 cents per mile).
    Generally merchandise runs just under 1 cent per mile when not on sale, so it is not a good use of RDMs. However they do provide these rather random sales that makes them worth considering.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, what you'd surmised was quite true: UA wants you to spend your miles on non-flight purchases! The following just landed in my mbox and the motto is "You don't need a reason to treat yourself with miles." Gee, thanks!:rolleyes:

UA SHOP.jpg

8MiHi likes this.