The Delta Air Lines Medallion Status Match Master Discussion

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Canarsie, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This discussion is designed for those who are looking for a status match from the frequent flier loyalty programs of which they are currently members to the Delta Air Lines SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

2. factorial

factorial Active Member

Status Points:
    I successfully matched my United 1K status to Delta Platinum Medallion status by following these instructions:

Fax a copy of your elite status card from the other airline to the following number: 404-715-9220
    (Alternately, a copy of your most recent mileage statement may work.)

Include a note addressed to:
    Delta SkyMiles Service Center
    Attn: Elite Status Match

In the note, explain that you're an elite with another airline and would like to shift your flying to Delta if they will match your status. Of course, don't forget to include your Delta SkyMiles number so they can easily grant you status!

DLroads and dts like this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. Could be useful at the end of 2011 for me.

4. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I spoke to Delta today and was told the above information and also upon earning an additional 50k EQMs they will upgrade me to Diamond. Hoping that this will also include EQMs from Amex MR transfer @ 25k and Delta Reserve Amex EQM earnings.

Anyone know the answer?

dts likes this.
  5. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've searched around the internet and it seems that the standard way to do this is to send an unsolicited fax and hope someone will take care of it? Am I the only one who's feeling a bit uncomfortable with this? MrPickles do you mind sharing what number you used to talk to a real person about this? I'm also a 1K thinking of matching to DL.

6. Richard1148

Richard1148 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have three questions about status matches with DL:

1. Will DL give a status match if I already have Medallion status? I recall reading somewhere that they will not match to a higher status if you already have any Medallion status. I am Silver but only because I am a Million Miler. I did not fly enough on DL last year to qualify for Medallion otherwise.

2. Will DL give a status match if I already had one? I did a match to my CO Plat a while back when CO left SkyTeam and DL was readily matching CO.

3. Will DL match Flying Blue? Through FB's recent status match promo, I have FB Plat status and would like to get back to DL Plat.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Status matches are granted at the discretion of the airline, so anything can happen if one convinces someone with decision-making authority that a status match would be sufficiently valuable for business. In particular, if one can document that one would become an extremely high value customer or if the status match is requested by a very important corporate client, the status match may be approved even if it otherwise violates the rules.

Having said this, here are realistic answers to your questions:
    1. Normally, if you already have status, a match to a higher status is likely to be viewed skeptically, unless possibly your travel pattern has already changed significantly or you can argue that it will, perhaps due to a move or a new job that requires extensive travel.
    2. Normally, airlines and hotel chains announce that they offer status matches "once in a lifetime" (yours or theirs).
    3. Normally, airlines will not match status from another airline in the same alliance or joint venture. This is viewed as poaching from a teammate and not a good practice to encourage.

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but unless your case is unusually compelling (at least monthly TATL/TPAC trips in full paid BE?), I don't think there's much chance from the questions you're asking.

If you don't need to fly DL, you might want to consider a status challenge with AA or UA/CO (new program).

Anyway, welcome to MP.

8. Richard1148

Richard1148 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSPeconomist. I figured that my chances would be slim. I'm not flying DL much anymore, but still have a lot of miles for awards. I really only wanted Plat status so I could change any awards if necessary or to get a better itinerary without having to pay the change fee. I suppose my previously earned 1.4 million miler miles with DL mean nothing now.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, your MM status does give you Silver, including a free bag even if you don't have a DL AmEx card, special lines for check in (and security in some airports), boarding in zone 2, and some chance of an upgrade (but IIRC not for a companion and perhaps not on award tickets either). This makes it more bearable to fly coach award tickets if that's how you decide to use your miles.

DLroads likes this.
  10. european28
    Original Member

european28 Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a CO Plat/UA 1P (soon to be 1K). Would they match my CO Plat to DL Plat? I am getting really tired of the high fares on UA/CO and I want to jump to either AA or DL. Trying to figure out which makes the most sense.

I will at a minimum retain 1P status on UA, but it seems that DL and AA both have better fares to the places I want/need to go.

Thanks.

13. What is the best reverse status match for a Delta DM and almost 2MM? United or AA? How do you go about this?

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not an either/or; you can do both if you wish. However, IIRC AA charges a fee for a status challenge for Gold or Plat (not EXP) and UA now also offers challenges, not matches. Before doing anything, check the fine print about whether these are "once in a lifetime" (yours or the airline's)

15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there is a fee to do the AA challenge - it was $180 for the Plat and I think it would've been $100 or $120 for Gold.

16. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am currently a CO Plat and a UA 1P but some of my flying will have to be on DL in the near future (2 weeks). If I status match now, will that status be good through 2012 or will it only last until the end of 2011?

I've also thought about status matching to DL but crediting to AS and then at the start of 2012, matching to AS.

Thoughts on this strategy?

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC a status match to DL now would last through the end of February 2013, thus including all of 2012.

I don't know about AS matches, but sometimes to get a match you must show that you actually fly--i.e., that you're not asking for a match on the basis of a comped status.

Remember that status matches are once in a lifetime--yours or the airline's.

Titans26 likes this.
  18. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier, paladin87 and DeltaExpert like this.
  19. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My friend matched Chairman's to Platinum. They will match all others to Gold, except for Silver which will stay Silver. I just achieved Chairman's for 2013 & am thinking about matching to Platinum to keep my DL status alive.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  21. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm..go for platinum only to get gold...may have to go for Chairmans or just stay Gold.

22. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm A-list on Southwest (almost A+) and they agreed to a status match challenge to Silver. Already have 3 flights booked, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think you would have a problem.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  23. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you already are a Delta PM they won't status match you from Chairman.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  24. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was a friend's match. They didn't already have status on DL.

25. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see, now they are doing Status Challenges instead of automatic Status matches