The decline of the hotel bathtub—Gone for good? [ Plus: POLL ]

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Apr 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

?

Do you use bathtubs in hotels?

This poll will close on Apr 5, 2088 at 10:32 AM.
  1. YES

33.3%
  2. NO

41.7%
  3. I use them only on vacation

16.7%
  4. I love to shower, but don't like a bathtub

4.2%
  5. I

4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || The decline of the hotel bathtub—Gone for good? ||

We love bathtubs in hotels and yes, we bath in them too. :)

joanek, IDGflygirl, sobore and 4 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never ever ever ever taken a bath in a hotel, and I think I'm probably like the majority of guys here.

Even when we're out on leisure stays in a resort, usually the tub is the realm of the wife and occasionally the toddler. Me personally I'll trade 10 tubs for a sizeable rain shower.

mtlfire, marcwint55, GoodBoy and 2 others like this.
  3. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can only remember using a bathtub in two hotels. Both were nice suites with proper standalone tub and shower.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    20 gallons vs. 120 gallons

I have no doubt that showers use far less water than a bath, but 120 gallons for a tub??? (perhaps a HUGE whirlpool tub)

Avg tub holds approx 60 gallons and that is when completely full, which of course it isn't when one is bathing in the tub.

8MiHi, marcwint55, GoodBoy and 3 others like this.
  5. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, hotel bathtubs are most popular with people who have little children they need to bathe in one. Some women (myself included) enjoy the occasional tub soak, but I never do this in a hotel because I'm suspicious of the cleanliness of hotel tubs. If you like whirlpool tubs, do yourself a favor and don't read anything about the sanitation of those... you'll never want to use one again.

6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tubs make sense where families need to bathe young children. I would never use a hotel tub for a bath as I question how clean they really are. So, for me, showers make much more sense and I'm pleased when I see a nice shower instead of, or in addition to, a tub in a hotel room.

7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to use a whirlpool tub when the hotel has one. It is a great way to unwind at the end of the day.

IDGflygirl and iolaire like this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bath everyday at home and multiple times per day at hotels in warm climates. (I grew up in the Alaska without running water, so a bath continues to be a privalage I enjoy.). A shower is in no way relaxing as compaired to a bath. I'd guess that if I was not a bather, then my wife would shower more than taking a bath.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use a tub occasionally, more for relaxation. I'm relatively thrifty with the water but probably do use more than a shower. It's an occasional treat if I have time after a long day.

10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cannot recall the last time i took a bath. For sure wouldnt take on in a hotel. Not that I am so "green" but I do find it wasteful but understand parents with children using them but cant imagine they fill it very much at all. Certainly not as much as an adult bathing would.

11. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't care for this trend AT ALL. I prefer a tub to a shower and see no reason that patrons can't be given a choice. I love being able to relax with a long, hot soak after a tough day traveling, touring or working. This seems to be an issue only here in the States, other countries see tubs as the norm, not an option. One hotel manager told me it really came down to costs: it takes longer to clean a bathroom with a tub and less time spent cleaning means you can cut your staff and salaries.

iolaire likes this.
  12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certainly not the places I've stayed in Europe. I'd say it's at least 50/50 shower only vs. combo shower-tub, if not more like 2/3 shower only.

viguera likes this.
  13. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    What type of hotels I should have specified that I'm talking mid-to-upper range accommodations, "semi luxury" vacation rooms, not business accommodations or pods, equivalent to Hyatt, Westin, Taj,etc. I'm finding many US renovations and rehabs removing baths, many equivalent euro/Asian locales keeping them.

14. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I'm talking about a mix of mid-tier business and vacation type hotels that have almost all been locally-owned and operated and were in old buildings with smallish rooms and tiny bathrooms that were likely added within the last 20 years. Only major chain hotel I've stayed at in Europe was the Hilton Budapest, which I believe did have a tub.

joanek likes this.
  15. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Give me another year or two and I won't care if there are tubs...my kids'll be showering by then