The dark side of the Maldives...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by eponymous_coward, Apr 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://avaaz.org/en/maldives_global/?fp

Apparently it isn't all beaches and five star hotel reports from travel bloggers.

Not meant to be recrimination, but maybe something to think about while you're enjoying those AXONs and GLONs you burned...

lsed, LETTERBOY, Kalboz and 5 others like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've had some serious problems for a while, complete with reports of police brutality and human rights violations. There was an effort to hijack their #SunnySideofLife campaign last summer, but not a whole lot of people paid attention to that I'm afraid.

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly abuses and the dark side aren't new:( This is a new low:mad:

LETTERBOY, mrx900 and uggboy like this.
  5. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, this is what happens when you don't have a proper education ; the system of law there is supposed to be following Shariah, but its their own version....and sadly, people who don't know anything about shariah assume this IS the law, when it absolutely is not. I met a law student at Al Azhar University, when I visited Cairo (used UA miles for two F tickets--trip report coming soon) and he said a lot of these so-called Islamic countries send their folks over to learn Shariah, but they are astonished on what they are learning from the texts & scholars, is so different than what is implemented in their home countries, which is the problem. This case is a prime example of that.

estnet and uggboy like this.
  6. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one who just doesn't get the Maldives frenzy?

I spend too much time flying already. Why would I burn thousands of air and hotel points to literally halfway around the world to hang out in an overwater bungalow?

Granted we are very fortunate to have 100s of wonderful beaches nearby in California, not to mention Mexico, Hawaii, Florida, Caribbean, etc. and there are probably 500 more interesting places to see on my bucket list.

It does not sound like we will lose much when global warming submerges this place.

7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're interested, there is a documentary about Maldives struggle with global warming called The Island President (also on Netflix) which was an enlightening piece.

iolaire likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's on netflix already? I've been waiting for it for a minute but I didn't think it was available for streaming yet.

9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just watched it 2 days ago :)

10. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you've not been there it's hard to judge. To see the atolls from the sky is quite amazing. And the crystal water and endless ocean, blah blah... makes you feel like you're in paradise. But it quickly wears off after 1 day.
    Probably more fun just to be there for 3 and move on. 7 Days was just overkill.

I think I was more mesmerised though, when I climbed up Table Mountain and gazed into the horizon which was actually clouds and not the sea. I just sat and stared... Felt like a god.

To get back on topic... Male itself is quite the dump.

11. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the Maldives on my "bucket list" for years, mainly because of reports from other mileage hounds about the water, the overwater bungalows, etc. But after I read the story about that poor girl last month, I lost all interest. French Polynesia has beautiful water and overwater bungalows, plus probably the most gorgeous scenery I've ever experienced. I think I'll send my money that direction.

bez7 likes this.