The Danger of Water When Traveling and How To Drink and Consume It Safely

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.travelerstoday.com/artic...water-when-traveling-drink-consume-safely.htm

When traveling, eating is usually one of the most exciting parts of a trip, trying new foods, or trying foods you love in the place where they were invented. But this also comes with the risk of illness, especially in places that don't have the same strict food and cleanliness requirements we are used to in the U.S., as water quality may be significantly lower than it is at home.

In many places, the water can be a safety hazard, with the possibility of contamination by bacteria, parasites or viruses. Many people bring antibiotics as a contingency plan when visiting developing countries, though it can happen almost anywhere.

Read More: http://www.travelerstoday.com/artic...water-when-traveling-drink-consume-safely.htm

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    My solution ...... images.jpg

ab3i, Mapsmith, sobore and 4 others like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to say beer.

sobore, daninstl and uggboy like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't even drink tap water at most USA hotels but mostly because of the over jealous water softener salespersons settings. When I'm outside my US home country I never drink tap water it's just not worth the chance of ruining my trip. I also include cruise ships on this as well. I've interviewed cruise ship staff officers about tap water and how or where they take on water and I'm not convinced its safe plus if you add in the complex and rarely cleaned plumbing systems on board you end up with strange brown specs and sludge out of the faucet. Beware to also brush your teeth with bottled water. Now on the other hand if I was going to a 1st world location to stay or live for a long time I would drink the local water and just acclimate to it.

sobore likes this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, the water on Cruise ships, (or at least the potable water) is usually desalinated water. The water pumped on board at the ports is used for laundry and cleaning. The desalinated water is actually better than most water you will find in a municipal water system. The only problem I have ever found with Cruise ship water is that being desalinated (deionized, or denatured) it has most of the minerals taken out and can actually taste bland.

daninstl likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They actually pass that water back through a mineralization plant to add minerals back to improve the taste but they don't typically desalinate near land because coastal waters are the most contaminated. I was told by the head chef on the Carnival Imagination last year that they do take on potable water for use as well. That may be inaccurate but what I don't trust is the filthy plumbing system. I've gotten tap water out in a glass in the rooms before that was brown with huge chunks floating in it. I just personally don't trust it.

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use your "Imagination" (sorry couldn't resist) On 7 Carnival ships, I have never had a problem. And the best tasting water on a ship was on the MSC Poesia. Most tastes better than aquafina.

daninstl likes this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would trust an MSC ship more than Carnival but maybe it's my Imagination or Fascination :) we just got back from a Med cruise on the MSC Splendida in the Yacht Club. I didn't drink much water but the other beverages went down just fine.

9. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    tastes good and alcohol kills germs as well :D (although i am not shelling out for a blue label and will probably stick with a more affordable Macallan 12 or the likes)