The credit card used for this purchase must be available at check-in? Urgent!!!.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kayjay, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a flight for my cousin and he is having a family emergency. As a student, I helped him pay his flight with United and paid with my CC. After making the reservation few minutes back, I found this "The credit card used for this purchase must be available at check-in."

Is there a way arond? I am not going to travel or going to be at the airport, no way I can show my CC during his check in.
    What should I do?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as the ticket has been paid for and issued, there shouldn't be a problem. He should be able to check in with just his ID. I've never seen any requirement that the original form of payment be available to check in.

jbcarioca and kayjay like this.
  3. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over the yrs I ran into this with both DL & AA and either I had to go to a CTO (no longer exist for the most part) or any Airport counter where they were able to match my CC and my ID and then put a note in the Record that everything is AOK, especially when the passenger/s flying dont have the same last name as the name on the CC

Its a way for them to stop CC fraud, with DL twice I was overseas and the person over here did a conference call and the rep was willing to accept that

jbcarioca and kayjay like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Years ago United used to enforce this as an anti-credit card fraud measure. And I would have to go to the airport to show the card, they'd add something to the United fields in the record that the credit card had been shown and turn off the alert. But I haven't seen anyone have difficulty with this in a long time. Have them check in online if you're concerned, they'll have their boarding pass a day in advance and then you will know that they are fine...

hulagrrl210, jbcarioca and kayjay like this.
  5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen this quite a few times with UA and they are serious. The Mr. Chicken will not let you check-in with out a CC. I would advise calling the elite line and explaining the situation to the telephone agent who may be able to lift the restriction.

hulagrrl210, jbcarioca and kayjay like this.
  6. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    The restriction is a UA restriction from united.com.

You could invoke the 24-hour refund and re-buy the same thing through an agency (e.g., Expedia), or from continental.com if there's an equivalent CO-coded flight if they're not willing to lift it.

I'm not sure why they do this -- I get the restriction every now and then, and I've used the same card for years, against my same 1K account for myself whose name matches the card. If they really wanted to be serious about CC fraud, they would use a few more criteria before deciding which ressies to flag.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you get to the airport prior to your cousin's flight? If so, go to the ticket counter, show the card and ask them to remove the flag from the record.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an excellent idea. If the comments on the ticket record reflect your call to confirm he should be fine, The bakup is always to call you directly by the checkin staff at UA.
    Even though it is now uncommopn this does happen. This should ensure there will be no problem.

9. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also a notarized letter should help in this situation. You can mail out the letter.
    I had that message pop up many times with all carriers (UA,AA,BA to name a few) and only once BA asked me for the card.
    But a phone call to explain it (agent can make a note on the PNR) and a letter of sorts (explaining the situation and you approved the charge) should hopefully suffice

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. flyingbrick
    Original Member

flyingbrick Silver Member

Status Points:
    They might/might not enforce this at check in. Do you feel lucky? It's worth a call to see if you can get the flag removed that way, but I expect they will insist you go to the airport. Any airport at any time before flight to show your ID and CC. No way I would mess with mailing anything to UA and hoping they respond.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    as a data point, I have seen this requirement shown on MANY reservations I've booked for friends & family with different last names & completely different addresses. (I'm guessing ~50 tickets on UA).

NOT ONCE has the credit card I used (my CC) ever been requested when friends/family have checked in using online, Mr Chicken, or counter at airport.

The first couple of times the 'CC must be shown' message popped up & I called out of panic but UA assured me it was not a problem & that the CC would not need to be shown when the friend/family member was checking in, since then I've never bothered to call.

Please let the board know the outcome of your situation.

12. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I had the same thing happen when I bought a ticket for my niece (20yrs - not a kid) to come out to me for a visit. I missed the notation in the reservation until a day before her flight and then called up and tried to get the flag removed and they refused. Kept saying my niece had to have the card with her or I needed to go to an airport and show an agent my credit card. So, I went through 3 phone reps - three different calls. My neice has the same last name as me - and it is an unusual last name. She was flying to my home airport. It was just ridiculous.

The 3rd agent I spoke with was pretty rude and I asked to speak with a supervisor. I heard the phone click and thought he hung up, but a minute later a sup got on and in less than a minute after that the flag was removed. All three agents told me it was a credit card flag from the bank. I said it wasn't, the charge had already been paid off on my previous cc bill, and indeed I called the bank after the 1st call and they said of course- everything was fine, and the charge went through and they had no trouble with the charge. It was so irritating that the phone reps went to such a lengths to make it some CC fraud issue when it absolutely wasn't! UA really needs to get this issue worked out. If they are concerned with credit card fraud they need to take steps DURING THE PURCHASE procedures. ... gee, just thinking about that experience has just made me real ornery ... ;)

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's incredibly frustrating especially in cases where the bill has been paid off several months before the flight or when the pax on the ticket has my unusual last name or has been travelling with me a hundred times on my PNRs.

But it's not only UA. Foreign airlines such as SQ have forced me to show the credit used to purchase the ticket even for tickets I booked for myself with my own card. And they really did insist on seeing the very card.

I think from now on every time this happens I will file a complaint with my credit card company.

14. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never really focused on the line before - but two reservations I made last week both say "You MAY be asked during check-in to present the credit card used for purchase." This is on the e-mail receipt, but not anywhere on united.com that I can find. I just went back and checked a bunch of old e-mails and it is actually on all of them. I've never been asked - any reports of being asked when the line said "MAY"??

15. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    All e-mails say may. What you need to be on the look out for is a line in red that says "The CC used to purchase this ticket must be presented at check-in." Again it will appear in red in your confirmation letter from .bomb.

16. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rarely do you get asked for the credit card in the U.S. (but international locations it can be common).

In the U.S., you could refuse. (Which is unrealistic for your niece, I know). They will probably issue your boarding pass, but you are likely to be flagged for higher security screening. If they refuse to check you in, then ask for an immediate refund of your ticket - in cash. Of course, they typically don't have the cash so they then try to refund to the credit card (which they don't have, right?) and after a puzzled look they check you in. Worth a risk? Worth the aggravation?

17. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    TG does this as well, although SQ will accept a photocopy of the card to show. I had this issue on a ticket paid by my company on their corporate card.

wombat18 likes this.
  18. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't the problem be solved by simply checking in on line?

FWIW, I routinely buy ticket for employees as well as my kids and nobody has ever been asked.

19. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    agree with Jason8612. Give him a letter with your credit card info and your name and sign it. Not sure if you need to notarize it (but doesn't hurt), but on the letter if you just say you paid on his behalf and the letter is authorization (a copy of your ID would help too). my wife did this when she bought tix for her parents. good luck.

wombat18 likes this.
  20. flyingbrick
    Original Member

flyingbrick Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope. If it's really flagged, online check in will be blocked. That's actually the worst part because even if you have the CC you can't check in online.

DL started doing this again recently as well. Seems to me to be triggered by the CC address info, purchaser address info and ticket origin city not matching up

21. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Must play havoc on business travelers.

I just asked my son if he has ever been asked and he said that yes, he was once asked. He just said, "I have no clue, call my company" and they just let it go.

22. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both TG and PG have this also. However they do not ask for the card when a visa is secondarily processed through the 'verified by visa' channel. Otherwise it's a situation of: no card no travel.

23. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like these ideas!

kayjay likes this.
  24. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too have been asked with foreign airlines once or twice (my own ticket, my own credit card). When I travel I do make sure I take any cc with me for which I used for reservations. Unfortunately, my incident with my niece was so last minute there was no way to get her my cc card or a letter or whatever. And - she had been on an airplane but once in her life, and never travelled alone. She would not have been able to deal with an agent at her airport if she would have been refused boarding. If I hadn't gotten a supervisor to lift the flag I would have made a pain-in-da-*&%$ trip to IAD to get my cc checked off that evening. Glad I didn't have to though.

So... if an airline does refuse a passenger because they don't have the credit card, they will refund the ticket? I would expect so.

25. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call and explain, mention it is a family emergency, talk to a supervisor(s) if necessary. United rule- If you don't get what you want, hang up and call again. Remind them of your status, cite the inconvenience and tell them you'd really appreciate anything they could possibly do to help you.

I've run into problems before where my dad booked my travel on his card. We were traveling same day together but started from different airports. They gave me a REALLY hard time checking in, I told them to call the airport where he at to verify if they wanted, but this proved WAY TOO COMPLICATED for them and I ended up just talking (threatening to complain) my way out of it. I hate pulling the DYKWIA card, but sometimes it works.