The Credit Card Loyalty Program Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Canarsie, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread is designed to be the definitive thread to compare credit card loyalty programs to give those milepoint.com members the information needed to make an informed decision about which program is best.​

I prefer credit cards which give a percentage of cash back for every dollar I spend instead of earning points and miles, such as Discover. I know this goes against the grain of some fellow milepoint.com members, but I like the flexibility of cash as opposed to the restrictions of how and when I can use points and miles earned from credit cards.​

Please ensure that your information is as concise and as easy to read as possible so that it will not be as difficult for fellow milepoint.com members to decide.​

Thank you in advance.​

2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer AMEX MR Points of All the cards that I have. They are very easy to trade, many of their partners offer instant, free, online trades.

3. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should this thread be broken into zones as the responses to this are going to vary dramatically from country to country and continent to continent?

4. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily, as it is meant to be a gateway, or a starting point, to those searching for the credit card loyalty program that is right for them.

This thread will hopefully eventually include links to more specific threads in their respective forums.

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to feel that way but have recently changed my point of view. I have three cash rebate cards, and gave up airline-sponsored cards a few years ago as I just don't need any additional miles, let alone the yearly fee to renew. I was looking at the Loyalty Traveler web site about 6 months ago and Ric had some very good reviews on the various products out there, so I made the jump for my first hotel card with Priority Club. You get extra points for stays at their properties, a signup bonus, and one of the best features is no foreign exchange surcharge. That alone is well over $100 in savings a year to me. They also offer a free night on renewal which offsets the renewal fee. Now, if you're not doing a lot of international travel, or staying at their properties, maybe this card isn't for you. I know folks that are just as happy with their Hilton and Marriott cards, but those properties tend to be above my price range when I travel.

One of the features I have used is cash and points. Instead of 25,000 points for a $200 property I have four nights booked at, I paid 15,000 points and $60 a night (that $60 allows you to purchase 10,000 additional points at a discounted rate). Pretty happy with my return here so far.

sagefemme52 likes this.
  6. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    1+, as Ric Garrido lays out in his amazing LT posts, there are some fantastic hotel opportunities, if you have the CC's for a chain that you already stay with, and earn points for spend and stays. I especially have been happy with my Starwood "cash & points" stays, the only downside is they are capacity controlled, so not always available when and where you want.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a mile/point card that does not have an annual fee? I'm not talking waiving the fee for the first year, but a fee free card. I got rid of my MP chase card as I always have an issue paying the annual fee for something that is making MP loads of cash.

8. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try Hilton HHonors credit cards, as there is no annual fee for either the Visa or American Express cards.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! I'll look into it![​IMG]

10. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    tom911 likes this.
  11. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, you only get 1 point/$ spent on "cash and points" purchases with your PC credit card and not the 5 points/$ bonus you might expect. Cash and points is a great way to make reservations even without the bonus points, but thought it worth mentioning the exclusion. I found out the hard way and it was later confirmed by Chase.

tom911 likes this.
  12. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, I'm not attached to any particular frequent flyer program. So the card I like the best is the Starwood Preferred Guest card. I can transfer the points to nearly two dozen airlines (most at a 1:1 ratio) or use them for hotel stays instead. And if I transfer at least 20,000 points, SPG throws in another 5,000 on top of it. So as a primarily leisure flyer who flies to a wide variety of international destinations, I love the flexibility of not being tied to just one program.

The downsides of the card is that there's no spending bonus beyond spending at Starwood properties- all other purchases are $1=1 point. The annual fee is $65, but there's often a promo that will waive it for the first year.