The Cost of Frequent Flier Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rwoman, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LA Times: The Cost of Frequent Flier Miles

This is from last month, but certainly something I'm sure many of us have an opinion about.

I know in my own experience, I do not book award tix from the UK because the $400+ in fees/surcharges/taxes are often not far from what I'd pay for a revenue ticket.

:)

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting! This does not seem to be a problem with at least two Asian airlines I used recently. I redeemed to do

HKG-PEK in XC then PEK-SHA in XF on CA + SIN-HKG in XC on SQ, and it cost me just $45 in tax/fee/charge;
    also PVG-SIN in XC on SQ: $16.00 in tax/fee/charge.

This has been consistent for the last couple of years...

So, why would BA charge so much to redeem miles?

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fuel Service Charges. A concept created to help them recoup the expense of having you carpool without paying their advertised price for the seat you take.

NYCUA1K, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  4. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems that UK taxes are a problem all around. Looking at at spring trip ATL-LHR-MAN, I was turned off by the $1K "copay" for using BA Adios. Then I priced coach on DL and taxes were $400 per. Yikes. That makes paying $1K for F look a lot better.

Andyandy

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the non-US airline charge the fuel surcharge on award ticketing. On some airlines there are no fuel surcharges even for non-US airline (e.g., I believe NZ through BD is without YQ charges, as well as AA through BA).

The lesson is to know the rules of your particular partner and book the awards accordingly.

Sometimes it is still worth to pay those fuel charges - for example, on the bmi program where it is easy to get the miles and the redemption rates are favorable, paying the taxes on business or first redemption is still a very good deal.

6. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are doing the EL-AL thing... fees, charges, taxes, and then... more fees, charges and taxes... because they can

7. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just helping a friend ticket a SEA-TLS round trip for this spring, and the base fare on the chosen itinerary (SEA-CDG-TLS-AMS-SEA) was $373 round trip. The "taxes and fees" were $618, for a total of $991.

Last week I had to book a trip for a relative going to Africa in March - JFK-LHR-EBB//NBO-LHR-JFK and was considering using AA miles for his (Y) ticket. Phoned AA to get it priced, and because BA is the only Oneworld partner into EBB, and the only one out of NBO to western Europe (the other is RJ to AMM, thus necessitating a second award) it had to be an AA/BA combined award itinerary.

75,000 miles for the award, and $800 for the taxes and BA fuel fines. The cash price of the ticket was right around $1500 (which includes the fuel charges and other costs.) By going the redemption route, it would have given my miles a value of less than 1c each. Ain't happenin.

Taxes and fees on a one-way J redemption I made for myself SEA-JFK-LHR on AA metal came to a total of something like $30. SEA-LHR on BA would have been the same miles and $475.