The Continuing Decline of the Kosher Delicatessen: Why?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jan 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    It was late at night in Brooklyn years ago when I still lived there; and from my radio, Dick Summer was extolling the virtues in great detail of the fare which can be enjoyed at a typical Kosher delicatessen: the delectable and unmistakably smoky flavor of pastrami; the incredibly spicy jolt of real brown delicatessen mustard; the crunchy and potent zing of a real sour pickle; the warm and inviting comfort of a matzoh ball soup with noodles in a rich chicken broth; and the full flavor of a dense potato knish — all chased by a generous swig of the elixir known as Dr. Brown’s cream soda. My mouth was watering as I was listening to the nirvana enriched by the smooth voice of Dick Summer; but even though all of the Kosher delicatessens near where I lived at the time were closed at that moment, I knew that I could always walk to one the next day to satisfy that seemingly insatiable craving of overdosing on that salty and savory goodness. I remember introducing my girlfriend at the time to the Kosher delicatessen experience. She had never sampled a pastrami sandwich simply because she did not like rye bread or brown mustard — and probably would not like pastrami. After overcoming her trepidation, a simple taste quickly turned into a devouring of the sandwich. She had found a new food to list amongst her favorites. Since I moved from Brooklyn... The post The Continuing Decline of the Kosher Delicatessen: Why? appeared first on The Gate.

Continue reading...