The codeshare and UG on delta domestic flights

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DLroads, Jun 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Janice D. Diamond purchases a ticket for DL domestic flight, under a codeshare partner
    (i.e. AeroMexico, KLM, Airfrance).
    Would Janice Diamond be on the UG list in accordance to her status on skymiles?
    What about John D. Silver in the same scenario (John Silver is naturally delta FO/skyteam elite, and not elite+ pax).

I am asking it because we noticed that in several cases KLM website provided us with lower pricing for the same delta operating flights (US domestic) than delta.com, especially when making it tatl on the same trip. It is a difference of about $30-40 per ticket, but if we need (and we do need)- to book about 8 of those in a set, two or three times during the summer, it begins to add up.

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe so. If it is not a Delta coded flight then you would not be eligible. You could always try to plead your case with the Gate Agent though.

3. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that is the common believe. So, I guess we would do that only for Johhanna silver and jane Gold... (where UG chances are low), and leave Janice Diamonds and Joyce Platinums on DL codes. Well...still saving few $$$ per team RT. It all adds (To about a total of $1200 if we were to do them all codeshare)

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't think a foreign carrier could market purely domestic itineraries, even if operated by a US carrier. Is this not the case?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK codeshares are typically used only on flights (or destinations) that are commonly used with connections involving the marketing carrier or as part of the joint venture. Sometimes these domestic codeshare flights are continuations of international codeshare or joint venture flights. However, once the flight has a codeshare number, there might not be a prohibition on the marketing carrier selling it separately, as a stand-alone flight. In addition to price differences, some passengers might want it for FF miles earning (especially status miles in cases where not all alliance miles count for status or for special promos and challenges that might specify the marketing rather than operating carrier) or due to rules that certain carriers (including one's own national airlines) must be taken. There could also be situations involving passes (can one buy the analogue of Visit USA from AF or KLM? Do AF/KLM/AZ offer a scheme involving prepaid segments or distance?) that specify the ticket stock and/or marketing carrier.

Among US carriers that codeshare it was possible, at least in the past, to purchase a codeshare-only ticket from the marketing carrier. For example, I once has a MSP-IAH-MSP RT totally on CO metal with NW flight numbers and NW ticket stock purchased through the NW elite call center in Chisholm. I think NW was similarly able to sell Alaska tickets in which every segment had a NW flight number.

If you use the regular (not DL) AmEx Plat charge card to access lounges, you must be very careful about codeshare flights. The same issue might arise with the DL AmEx Reserve credit card. Even if your case technically fits within the rules, the dragons can still be difficult.

6. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was this during the CO/NW/DL partnership. If so, selling codeshares between hubs was a direct violation of the agreement with the Department of Justice.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it was before DL was in the partnership. I remember a number of times that I was offered codeshares between NW and CO on the MSP-IAH and vv nonstops.