The Chatwal, NYC - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SC Flier, Apr 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chatwal hotel joins Starwood Luxury Collection

Hotelier Sant Singh Chatwal is partnering with Starwood Hotels & Resorts to help market his most ambitious New York City property, The Chatwal, which opened last year on West 44th Street.​

The posh hotel—room rates run upwards of $500 per night—is announcing Tuesday that it is now part of the Starwood Luxury Collection, giving it access to Starwood's vast reservation system. There are more than 75 Luxury Collection hotels in 30 countries, but none had been in New York until The Chatwal.​

83 rooms.
    128 West 44th Street
    www.thechatwalny.com

uggboy likes this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This surely means that Leading Hotels of the World loses this hotel in New York!

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears already to have disappeared from the LHW website...

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info TRAVELSIG!

It is all about getting people into the hotel, do not know how high the occupancy is, but Mr. Chatwal hopes that Starwood and their reservation system can help with this matter.

Can clearly remember the time when the hotel joined LHW and all the press releases // Leaders Club releases and hype!

We have stayed at two Luxury Collection properties in Europe incl. the Sheraton Park Tower in London // eg. underwhelming 'til the point that they have forgotten us in the lobby to check-in even. We also stayed at the Des Indes in The Hague, great property, posh design, but no bathtub in our room // while breakfast was super // room service foodwise was underwhelming and not worth it.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the article, I took the following statement to mean that it definitely is no longer with LHW:
    "It had been part of The Leading Hotels of the World, an organization that markets independently owned luxury properties."

There are a few LHW properties that are also affiliated with major brands (Fairmont, Barcelo), but I am not aware of any SPG properties that currently fall into this category.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, Starwood has no hotels associated or members of LHW.

Before Starwood had taken over the Le Meridien chain of hotels a few years ago, there were a few of them with LHW but since them they all dropped out of this organization.

Coming back to other hotel chains who have hotels with LHW, they getting fewer, Fairmont and Kempinski for example have fewer and fewer properties who are a LHW member.

Thanks SC Flier for the infos! Very welcome!

Wurm likes this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think that most of the big brands now give an ultimatum to their hotels and simply prohibit such affiliations in their contracts. I would guess that most hotels that still have dual affiliations are able to do so because of old contracts. When the contracts come up for renewal, we can guess what will happen.

We saw a few examples like this when Starwood bought LM and not all of them participated in SPG at first. (i.e. Starwood was unable to force them to participate.)

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great input indeed! I would think the same or otherwise it would make no sense, as the loose out of the clients from LHW! I wonder why they are so afraid of such affiliations, of course they want that you join SPG for example and they want earn money and not just give a good name and margins to the individual hotel owner or LHW! In the end however, I always assumed with being a LHW member, there came prestige with it and with this prestige came the bookings associated as well. Not all people would book with LHW or being a member of their Leaders Club, but the prestige that they are LHW gave many also a reason to book simply with SPG or other hotel chains. At least with us in our own history so far we have sometimes booked with a hotel directly or chain because the LHW membership counts something, even when NOT booked via LHW themselves, it was all about association and belonging to such a prestigious membership that gave us the reason to react // book in this way.

9. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just had a look. Rates pretty high, but the property looks decent.

10. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is Rocco Forte Hotels, although admittedly that is quite a small, Europe-centric chain.

Another reason that precludes major chain participation is the revamped LHW Leaders Club. It's base-level members get free internet andf free continental breakfast for two as part of their guaranteed benefits when booking via the LHW channel, and there is the possibility of a one-category upgrade as well. I would think that it would be a nightmare for the rooms manager and his/her staff to try prioritize room assignments and possible upgrades - do you give the better tooms to SPG plats or to LHW associate members??

uggboy likes this.
  11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully I'll earn starpoints when I dine at the Lamb's Club. Hopefully!

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed Rocco Forte Hotels, have not stayed in one yet, but planning too in the future, but have followed this hotelier on his path through the press and a visit to his Balmoral property in Edinburgh to the Bar and had Dinner and some Drinks in his Amigo property in Brussels.

Rocco Forte expands [ also interesting to know that so far Rocco Forte owns all his properties but will grow now only through management contracts ] now into the Middle East incl. Abu Dhabi, Jeddah, Cairo, Luxor and others, going a bit away from Europe and as reported earlier he is selling his Geneva property Le Richemond to pay back debts accrued during his own expansion drive, it has been reported also that his group will manage the property in the near-term at least further as a Rocco Forte property.

Absolutely right! When two guests check-in at the same time, whom to prefer a LHW Leaders Club member or the hotel chain own program, especially when high ranked, a clear conflict in my opinion. The Leaders Club could be a great idea, however, how many times it has happened that all of a sudden a favourite property in LHW is not more listed with them! What to do?

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upgrade priority issue also arises when SPG hotels participate in AmEx FHR (i.e., some LC properties in particular) or Virtuoso, or when a hotel participates in both LHW and FHR, etc. Usually the rules are written so that a guest cannot get double benefits--for instance, two room categories when each program specifies a one-category upgrade if available or breakfast for four--and the benefits of course can depend on the booking channel. If the upgrade is based on availability at check in, that would seem to determine the outcome. However, IME hotels favor their own repeat guests first and then those associated with their "home" program.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a very average stay here in early August. I managed to snag a free 1 BR suite (Superior suite) under the special NY BRG program that SPG ran earlier in the Summer. We were planning on spending the weekend in NY in any case (to celebrate my wife's birthday) so I decided to book the next night at the Chatwal as well (on a Virtuoso rate). I got in touch with the hotel in advance of our stay to let them know about the two separate reservations, and that we would appreciate being allowed to stay in the same room for both nights (availability permitting). I also let them know that we were in town to celebrate my wife's birthday. I heard back from the hotel promptly that although not guaranteed, they will make a note of the request and accommodate us if possible.

The FD attendant was friendly and welcoming, although the hotel still had our two reservations listed separately, so it took a while before she was able to locate both reservations and combine them. She did mention that we would be able to stay in the suite for both nights, which was a gesture from the hotel we appreciated. The strange thing was she kept insisting that my Platinum benefits would not be eligible on the first night because I was booked on an "ineligible rate" so we would not be able to avail ourselves of any of the amenity choices (we had planned on choosing the breakfast) for the first night. Since the Virtuoso rate included breakfast, she mentioned that we would have breakfast for the second day of our stay, but not on the first. We went back and forth for about 5-10 minutes (during which I tried telling her about the promotional BRG rate for the first night, and that my Platinum status should be honored given that it was booked through SPG, and even asked for a supervisor, who was unavailable), at which point I decided to yield and just head on up to our room (we were getting late for a dinner reservation). I figured I would take it up with someone else later on (as it turns out, we woke up too late for breakfast the first day in any case).

After the stay, I got in touch with SPG customer care to let them know of this incident - heard back from them quite promptly assuring me that I was indeed entitled to the Platinum benefits and that they would ensure that the management is trained accordingly ^ (email excerpted below)

No further contact from the property (as promised); however we did receive 500 starpoints as goodwill. A few other notes from the stay

- The 1 BR suites have a strange U-shaped layout, with the bedroom and the living room on the vertical portions of the "U" and connected through the horizontal part. This layout results in a slightly claustrophobic feel as the living room is completely disconnected from the bedroom, so doesnt feel like a regular "suite". No view to speak of - the window faced another building so the rooms were quite dark. The two bathrooms were great, though!

- The room is furnished beautifully, and the bathrooms were especially great. Special mention goes to the bed and the shower, both of which were outstanding

- Breakfast at the Lamb's Club was just about okay. The continental breakfast comes with a pastry basket - I asked for a bagel instead of the basket, and asked for some sides (sliced avocados and tomatoes) - the sides were charged at $8 each. My wife had some French Toast, which was okay.

- Service at breakfast was quite indifferent

- My wife went for a spa treatment which she enjoyed, however the hotel forgot to take off the $100 virtuoso spa credit, and I had to get in touch with the hotel later to have it removed.

Overall, this stay was a bit disappointing especially given the high expectations I had going in. On checking in, the head butler mentioned we should get ready for the best stay of our lives.

It was not even close.

YULtide and SC Flier like this.