The Challenge Begins

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by malikguy, Nov 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just challenged platinum and I hope I make it!! I'll keep my signature up-to-date with the challenge status as it progresses. I have from 11/1/2012 thru 1/31/2013 to complete. To my surprise, it was only $200 to enroll and I had the expectation that it would be $240. Wish me luck!

Counsellor likes this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. Did they give you Gold status upfront? Otherwise, you can ask for it.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You think with the DEQM promo running the challenge would almost be unnecessary and cheaper in the long run. Did you do an analysis?

4. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was very close to Gold already, 3K EQM away, so they did actually bump me early. Nice to know they will bump you to Gold on a Plat challenge. :)

I did some analysis and I decided to challenge because I already had flights booked through the end of the year anyways; almost every weekend. But even with DEQM, I will be sitting at 40,514 as of 12/31/2012. Also, my EQP (16,039) is very far from Gold or Plat, so that's not gonna happen. I have it all entered into a spread sheet that calculates everything for me, see below. Please let me know if you agree with my analysis.

[​IMG]

BC BOOKING CODE
    BCM BOOKING CODE MULTIPLIER
    SEG SEGMENTS
    BEQM BASE ELITE QUALIFYING MILES
    GEQM GUARANTEED MINIMUM ELITE QUALIFYING MILES
    EQM ELITE QUALIFYING MILES
    TEQM TOTAL ELITE QUALIFYING MILES
    MLTP MULTIPLIER
    EQP ELITE QUALIFYING POINTS
    TEQP TOTAL ELITE QUALIFYING POINTS
    CPTS CHALLENGE POINTS

viguera likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    nice xls!

6. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'd be more than happy to provide anyone with a copy of the template. Just send me a PM.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's quite a busy spreadsheet, I almost feel like you made it more complicated than it needs to be! :confused:

The question is whether you could have flown the ~5K needed to crack 50K EQM under the DEQM promo for less than you paid for the challenge. It's highly unlikely, so the challenge was a better option. :)

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    50k DEQM in 2 1.5 months is quite a bit of flying though .... isnt it?

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He's already got travel booked that brings him to ~40K EQM by 12/31. He just needs another ~5K EQM (x2 under DEQM) before the end of the year. But doing that for less than the challenge fee is difficult.

He's not starting from 0 based on his chart.

edekba likes this.
  10. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL, yes, it is a very busy spread sheet, but all you have to enter is your status, BCM, and BEQM. The rest is calculated automatically. It became more complex the more rules and caveats I learned about from AA like the fact that challenge points always calculate off of base miles, not guaranteed minimums. Hence the addition of the GEQM column. Secondly, regarding the DEQM promo, you only get DEQM on the BEQM, not the GEQM. So, if you are elite, you would get the 500 mile credit then, your bonus would be 224 (for the flight IAH/DFW) for a total 724. If you aren't elite, it obviously doesn't matter. Lastly, I had to add in the promo multiplier for flights getting DEQM vs flights not. Anyways, I agree, very busy spread sheet, lol. But very helpful to me none the less. ;)

I'm glad you agree with me on the challenge, I was starting to second guess myself. :cool:

50K is 25K butt in seat so yeah, it's still a lot of flying. Not to mention, not many weekends left in the year or PTO left to travel. :D

edekba likes this.
  11. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think to finish off the challenge, I am going to book a P ticket for DFW/SEA in January. That's 1,659 x 2 = 3,318 * 1.5 (P Multiplier) = 4,978 EQP. That should put me over 10K finishing at 10,682. Total cost to challenge: $200 (enrollment) + $735 (P ticket) = $935. Not too shabby???

BTW, edekba, here's the full spread sheet so it's less confusion, it includes my whole year of activity.

http://download.neoteque.com/AAdvantage.xls

edekba likes this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    oh right. he's at ~30k left which is 15k EQM in 2 months. That's not that bad actually. Doing quick math ... that puts him at ~40EQM. So one transco and he gest PLAT. But since he's based out of DFW getting 2.5k for under $240 $200 is hard.

$935 > than another 2500 EQM though I think but yes ... not enuf wknd/PTO left most likely.

13. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to remember, I would have needed 10K DEQM which is 5K more butt in seat miles so I'd have to do a International flight or maybe a first class transcon for less than $935. Haven't book the last flight yet, so I'm definitely open to suggestions. :)

edekba likes this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well ... I know 5k BIS is LAX/SFO <-> JFK so ... wouldnt a DFW - LAX - JFK - DFW work?

LAX - JFK is ~$350
    DFW - LAX ~$135
    JFK - DFW ~$200

So ~$700 vs $900

but I have to warn you I have no clue what I am doing ... complete noob here. I will get AA Gold in about 3weeks having never set foot at DFW :)

15. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, no worries, I'm a noob too. Just got Gold for the first time this year but have been doing a lot of research. Just in case you were confused. I did only pay ~$700 for a P ticket DFW/SEA. I was saying $900 because that includes the $200 enrollment fee for the challenge itself. :)

16. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I trust you meant to type 1/31/2013, or you're gonna need a time machine. :)

malikguy likes this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This runs contrary to what AA has stated on the promo. They were asked to clarify this issue and stated that the guaranteed minimum is what's doubled, not the base miles. So if you're an elite, you get 1000 EQM on flights under 500 miles under this promo.

I'm curious what caused you to assume only the base was doubled? Did you see something from AA elsewhere that stated so? If that's the case, AA has issued conflicted information on the promo.

18. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a time machine indeed, lol. It was supposed to be 1/31/2013 and it's fixed now. :)

David, when I contacted the AAdvantage desk about the challenge, we were discussing the rules about the challenge as well as the AATHX promo to see if the promo would help me with the challenge (it does not btw). When we were talking about the DEQM, she stated that it is strictly based off of BEQM so that's when she told me what I posted in my previous post. Maybe the rep I spoke to was misinformed or out-of-date, but it sounded like she was reading off the T&C's. I'll call back later and also glance through the T&C's again to see if I can confirm.

Counsellor likes this.
  19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doing the challenge now allows the OP to take some flights in January which will count for the challenge and also count for status earned in 2013 for the 2014 program year. It's a bit like rollover and a bit like counting the same flight for two program years. I never thought about this before, but doing a challenge that spans calendar years is a nice strategy.

edekba and malikguy like this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah except that the way I understand it challeges completed before the end of June gives you status until Feb the following year. Challenges completed in second half of the year gives you status until Feb two years hence.
    So not such a great strategy as one might think is it?:)

21. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct, but I think what he is saying is that you can essentially enroll in the challenge at the last possible time frame of one calendar year to complete in the next. For example, you could enroll in a challenge starting on 12/15/2012 and end the challenge on 3/15/2013. This way, you are completing the challenge and gaining status for the current elite year but also have accrued EQP, EQM, and segments for the next elite year. So it's almost like double dipping.

22. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    To each his own but if you wait three months to complete you wont have to worry about EQM etc for the next elite year. Plus it seems many here are inlikely to make Plat by regular means based on next years travel (if you need to go through all these machinations) you will get a soft landing to gold for the third year.

Surely you intend to fly AA during the rest of the year correct?

23. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are close. Challenges started in the first half of the year go thru the next year (2014) and challenges started in the second half of the year go thru the next year (2014) and the year after that (2015).

With that being said, yes, you can gain Platinum status for longer if you challenge in the second half of the year and you would get anywhere from 17-19 months of Platinum benefits depending on how long it takes you to complete the challenge.

In my scenario, I challenged on Nov. 1 which could potentially gain me Platinum status for 13-15 months depending on how long it took me to complete the challenge. I will complete in the middle of January so I will get almost 14 months of Platinum benefits and I got to earn miles while challenging for my next award year during the month of January.

Regardless, the main factor in all of this is that I have traded 3-5 months of extra Platinum benefits away in exchange for having it 7 months sooner because I would not have achieved Platinum this year regardless.

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA doesn't allow promos that double your elite qualifying miles/points to count for challenges, and despite that history people asked about this specific promo and AA stated that history would remain the same in various locations. No surprises there. ;)

As for the base vs. minimum, I've seen AA confirm at least twice that the minimum is what is doubled. While I love phone AAgents as much as the next, they have a long history of saying things to customers that are not correct. Which isn't to say the two instances where I saw AA confirm they'd use the minimum wasn't the same issue. It just appears we have AA employees giving individuals different information.

Luckily AA does patrol this message board and will hopefully see this thread and give an official response. :)

malikguy likes this.
  25. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    haha honestly sometimes I think you secretly work for AA :)

Counsellor and malikguy like this.