The calendar in Meet-ups. Why does the week start with Monday?

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by dhammer53, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy,

It's driving me crazy. I just posted BRT 11 and WineDo 4 in the Meetup calendar. How come the calendar is set up the European way, with the week beginning on Monday and running through Sunday?

SC Flier and secretsea18 like this.
  2. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know this too!

It is not as user friendly for us in the US, who rapidly scan calendars and expect that the first day of the week will be Sunday.

Can the calendar be changed to begin on Sunday?

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not sure about other countries, but Italian calendars generally run Mon-Sun.
    How many countries besides the U.S. do a Sun-Sat calendar?

4. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Canada and Japan also to my knowledge.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-day_week#Week_numbering

ISO have however defined the first day of the week as Monday: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601#Week_dates

I have previously been critical of MP being too US centered, but I think it is nice this time to see MP being international rather than US oriented.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That actually makes a lot more sense than starting the week on Sunday. Then again, a lot of international standards make more sense (the metric system, for example), but the mass bulk of use of other systems here in the US creates an inertia so it's hard for us to adjust.

SirRagnar likes this.
  6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree, many standards are difficult to change. Working globally with clinical trials I've seen problems with that everywhere. Starting day of the week should be relatively easy to change, I would think though, but I would much rather see standardized date formats, measurements etc than the week day which after all have limited relevance.

7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Our attempt is certainly not to drive you crazy, even though there may be evidence of such!

I'll find an answer. Here's my guess. That function is a custom add-on to our current software platform and my guess is that the developer is based in Europe and found comfort in the default being such for his own views and use. I also guess that it is customizeable but my use of the calendar so far is that it has not driven me any more crazy and as such, may not find a "better" reason than to leave it alone? What say you?

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP here. Randy, I'd change it before you reach 100,000 members on Milepoint. For clarity. ;)

SC Flier likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The problem is, what is clarity for Americans may not be clarity for Europeans; and I don't know how other continents structure their calenders. I'm guessing milepoint is predominantly American, but that isn't necessarily the case, nor will it necessarily be the case in the future.

(of course, perhaps we feel Europeans are more adept at adapting to American norms that Americans are at adapting to Euro norms, so in that case, we could go along with the American way, eh?) :)

Bottom line, there is not correct answer to this one; whatever is done will be off-kilter for a significant part of the user base.