The budget Terminal to be replaced!

Discussion in 'SIN | Singapore Changi Airport' started by Whendoublewidesfly, Mar 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Same article on my blog)

Watch out Terminal 2 you're about to get some new housemates! That's right the newly remolded Terminal 2 that still lacks amenities compared to the surrounding Terminals at Singapore's Changi International airport is going to play home to Singapore's Low Cost Carriers over the new few years. In 2013 the "budget Terminal" which is more of a oversize warehouse with doors that lead to the tarmac will be torn down and replaced by a larger and more updated terminal which will be referred to Terminal 4, dropping the name "budget" completely.

[​IMG]
    the departure hall empty, a big box of nothing
    The Budget Terminal isn't even that old, but it's not Singapore quality by any means. The current Terminal was built in 2006 and has the capacity to move 7 million passengers annually. However the number of LCC at SIN is growing rapidly and last year 26% of aircraft movements at SIN were done by LCC. SIN's administration is preemptively building the new terminal for they see massive growth in teh LCC market, and carriers in the region (SEAir, Silk, Tiger, Jetstar Cebu pacific, tiger, Air Asia, Lion Ai,r Firefly, etc) all have large orders placed for more aircraft, and more aircraft = more traffic = more space is needed for these jets. Due to this growth, the oversize one room warehouse with a few gates and even low cost, budget oriented shops will be flattened and a newer a nicer terminal will be built and be in full operation by 2017.

The New terminal at SIN will be more on pare with other facilities across the airport and will be two levers, one for arrivals and other for departures. It will also include medium and high end shopping and retail along with a number of other amenities that travelers have became accustomed to while traveling through the nicer and newer airports throughout Asia.

As the Move to Terminal 2 may be hectic at first, there is a number of benefits to this move by the LCC. Currently Terminal 2 has the capacity of 23 million. yet it is only operating at just over half that (throughput in 2011 was only 13 million). By adding all the LCC into T2, this will still only increase traffic by ~5 million, keeping it well within the range of capacity as the new terminal is built.

Furthermore, this is great new for travelers who are transiting through Singapore and connecting from a legacy full service carrier to a budget carrier. In the current mess, one must clear customs (even if not staying in Singapore), and then take the train or bus (bus during the late hours and early morning hours) from the main airport (T1,T2,T3) to the satellite Budget Terminal. With the swift move to T2, travelers without baggage will be able to easily walk off one plane and use the transfer desk to check in and board the next flight without ever leaving the secured area. This will not only save time, but increase comfort, for anyone who has spent time in the singapore airport knows its a utopia of roof top gardens, middle and high end retails and restaurants, spas, video games consoles(for free), movie rooms, internet/computer stations, a butterfly garden and more! Singapore airport is a place one can get lost for hours an never be board!

I applaud Singapore for making these changes! T2, although not the best of terminals is a HUGE upgrade from the current big box Budget Terminal. No artist renditions or plans have been released yet for T4, but if it's anything like T1 or T3, you know it's going to be good!

uggboy and estnet like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I just read about this as I was in transit the last few days and went through SIN. Budget terminal will be closed Sept 25 gthink that's the right date)
    Also mentioned that there would probably NOT be a direct connection, still need to take a bus, so maybe a nogo to connect without exiting once it is done but for the next few years while it is under construction it will be very convenient not to have to exit if no checked bags :)

uggboy likes this.
  3. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now you can walk between the 3 terminals, it a long walk, but it can be done, i think Singapore will build a walkway or a tram between them.....time will tell

uggboy likes this.
  4. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a long walk. I didn't see a sidewalk when taking the bus between Terminal 2 and the budget terminal.

I think this is good news. Going through customs & immigration at the budget terminal takes so much longer than at the proper Changi airport.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been news for around 3 weeks now. Farewell, Budget Terminal. You won't be missed. ;)

(Wonder if taxes will go up because of this... but it'll only affect some of the LCCs anyway.)

6. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard the architectural design was not impressive. They should do some tweaking before its final... :D