The bmi to BA status match is now LIVE

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by adl73x, Apr 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.britishairways.com/travel/webforms/public/en_ie?eId=120001&wfpId=loyalty_card

If you already hold the status to which you are matching, your qualification year will be reset to start now, and your BA tier points will be set to zero. This could be a good thing if you are looking to extend your status. If you don't already have BA status it is an excellent thing.

The length of time this offer will remain available to existing bmi Diamond Club members is still "until further notice" but that probably means at least until 3rd July 2012 when bmi miles will be able to be swapped 1:1 for BA Avios.

gleff and oneluckybastard like this.
  2. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update. Does this mean DC Gold is relinquished after the tier match or held concurrently?

3. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to relinquish your bmi status. You get to keep it, which may be useful for the 35% miles bonus when flying bmi on actual distance, and if the VS partnership continues you should still have VS LHR Clubhouse access when flying VS.

At the moment I'm using the Hilton 1000 miles per night that I earn with bmi, which is more than any other Hilton partner (BA is 500 miles per stay). Coupled with the current Hilton double miles promotion, I should be able to get quite a few more bmi miles before I turn them into Avios.

oneluckybastard likes this.
  4. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to this offer from BA, I now have QF Platinum (OW Emerald), BA Silver (OW Sapphire) and AA Gold (OW Ruby).

Just what the frequent traveller needs; every elite (published) status in Oneworld ;)

5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know whether once the bmi miles are swapped 1:1 with BA Avios we will then be able to redeem on any OW airlines? Thanks.

6. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once you convert they will become Avios and subject to the normal BA redemption options.

cennas likes this.
  7. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which means you can, subject to award availability, redeem Avios for flights on other OW carriers, but generally not for upgrades.

BD didn't participate in *A upgrades anyway, so you haven't lost anything there.

cennas likes this.
  8. craigs1973

craigs1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a question on an approach I am considering and was looking for some advise on it - I am currently a BA Blue with 100 tier points and no BA travel booked as yet; I am also a DC Blue with 9993 Status Miles. My objective would be to get to DC Silver and then Status match to BA Silver. First step would be to apply for the bmi plus credit card (this has an annual fee of £85) and earn 4000 status miles - giving me a total of 13,993 status points and a need to find 2007 points to reach Silver - with the BMI timetabel operating until Oct - would I need to hit 16,000 miles before then?

9. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on the status match conversion window; it might not be available for the duration of BMI's summer timetable, in which case you might have to get the 2007 points sooner.

10. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main issue is that we don't know how long the status match will be available. At least until 3 July 2012 is the best advice we have.

Doing it the hard way, reaching BA Silver from where you are you'd need 500 tier points which is 25 UK domestic sectors in mid UK economy (H class or above) - fewer if you do status runs in Club Europe at 40 TPs per sector.

You could earn 6000 Diamond Club status miles by taking 5 UK domestic Economy Flexible sectors at 1200 miles each.

The MBNA Amex has been known to take a while to post the status mile bonus, but that would certainly be cheaper for 4000 if you can time it right.

11. craigs1973

craigs1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback, but other than the status match conversion window - it's ok?

adl73x likes this.
  12. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not valid for south pacific residents :mad:

13. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, but should you need an address in the UK, I'd be happy happy to help. Hate to see a great match go to waste.

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Strange how long it takes them to process the match once requested.

adl73x likes this.
  15. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the volume of active Diamond Club members has taken them by surprise. The terms have extended from the intial 14 days outward, but they have stressed that the match is based on your DC status at the time you apply, so all those who applied with DC Gold or Silver almost expired should still be fine, even if they don't have the benefit of the OW status for a while.

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    oh my DC status won't expire for 7 months. But I'd like AA Flagship lounge access sooner :)

adl73x likes this.
  17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just found out that I was matched to BA Silver. The actually didn't send an email saying that the match had already been processed, as promised. I found out only when I logged in to my account to have a look around and familiarize myself with the program, and found that my status had changed to Silver. Great match!