The bmi MBNA Amex (and [mostly] Defunct Mastercard) thread

Discussion in 'bmi | Diamond Club' started by adl73x, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    MBNA offer three bmi branded cards:

The bmi Amex has a welcome bonus of 20,000 miles and offers 1.5 miles per £ spent; 3 miles per £ spent at flybmi.com

The bmi Plus Amex has a welcome bonus of 24,000 miles and offers 2 miles per £ spent; 4 miles per £ spent at flybmi.com, and 4000 Diamond Club status miles each year.

MBNA used to offer a bmi Mastercard which was withdrawn years ago [although I successfully applied for one over the phone last year]. This card came with 10,000 mile sign up and confers 1 mile per £.

The Plus Amex comes with a £85 annual fee.

None of the cards exempt you from card fees at flybmi.com any more.

I was inspired to post this because for the first time ever my 4000 status miles from the Plus Amex posted today without any intervention or prompting on my part. Woo Hoo!

2. ysb41
    Original Member

ysb41 Silver Member

Status Points:
    the MBNA bmi small business card gives 1 miles/£, and it is a VISA, which is good when Amex is not accepted.....

Skyvillager likes this.
  3. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that still available? It had disappeared from the MBNA site last time I looked.

Disco Volante likes this.
  4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhpas, like the Mastercard, it's another triumph of MBNA stealth marketing, whereby you have to call to find out if a product exists?

5. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well for a recent MasterCard reissue, they're now shoving PayPass on it.

Could be good for those who want to collect miles when they buy coffee from PayPass consoles.. and want some miles to go with it!

6. lallyr
    Original Member

lallyr Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best ones are those that got the MC at 2 miles per £ a couple of years back.

7. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oooh, really? Very cool. My old '2 miles per £1' Mastercard is coming up this year. Or perhaps I can ring MBNA and get one sent early?

EDIT - just looked at the MBNA and, yup, all the Mastercard's they still issue (not BMI) do have a PayPass logo on them.

8. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    It makes the MasterCard useful for the odd spend. Now when I find places that take that sort of payment system...

My update was on a standard BMI M/C. Alas, I didn't wake up to the Platinum card... until it was too late...

9. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two recent targeted offers received in regular mail by some:

One for 1500 Tesco Clubcard Points for a registered MBNA Amex used 3 times:
    --------------------------
    Use your MBNA American Express Credit Card to make three or more Card purchases over £30 each at Tesco (in-store, at Petrol Filling Stations and online at tesco.com) between 28 February and 31 March 2011 and you'll receive 1,500 extra Tesco Clubcard points.

To take advantage of this offer, register your credit card at
    amexnetwork.co.uk/clubcardpromo.

----------------------------------

Another for 500 Clubcard Points for each GBP30 spend at Tesco for an MBNA Amex (up top 5 times):

https://tesco.amexnetwork.co.uk/tescopromo

Several FT users (myself included) have reported that these register fine without being targeted. No guarantees, of course, but similar promos before Christmas worked with no issues for those not targeted.

Tesco Clubcard points can be redeemed for lots of things, most importantly, 1 Clubcard Point = 2 BA miles, so if you fly both BD and BA the BMI Amex transaction could benefit both.