The Best Wheeled Carry-On Bags

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Nov 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/luggage-review/best-wheeled-carry-on-bags

[​IMG]

Spot Cool Stuff never checks our luggage if we can avoid doing so. Like most frequent fliers, we travel with a wheeled bag that will fit through the airport security x-ray and into an airplane's overhead compartment.

Unlike most frequent fliers, we also run a travel review blog and are fanatical about travel gear. So we've spent a lot of time researching the best wheeled carry-on bags
    A lot of time. From conception, through research and writing, this post has been 11 months in the making.

Why so long? Partly because the market is flooded with rollaboard luggage options. But mostly because no single wheeled carry-on stood out to us as being absolutely better than all the others. As with so many products, the best option depends on what an individual consumer is looking for.

Given that, we focused on the best wheeled carry-on bag in five different categories. Factors we considered in making our selection included build quality, value for the price, looks, weight, cargo capacity (while staying under the 22-inch maximum height requirements that many airlines set for carry-on luggage) and bag features.

Read More: http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/luggage-review/best-wheeled-carry-on-bags

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)
    Thanks for posting this article, sobore!
    It's interesting that some folks will spend $300-$500+ for a wheeled carry-on bag! And that's neat to see the article feature a picture of the airline "cage" with a bag fitting in it, as I've yet to see an air carrier either size or weigh a passenger's carry-on bag. Full disclosure, I have and use a 22" expandable Tumi wheeled carry-on bag. Yet, I'm always amazed at the size of the carryon bags some fellow passengers try to fit on the plane. Perhaps this SNL skit isn't too far off?: ;)

sobore likes this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not terribly surprising to me that people would spend this kind of money on bags. In many cases you get what you pay for. I have a Burton roller bag that I got in 2010 that's traveled about 500k miles with me (about 80% on the train, 20% flying) It's only just now starting to show signs of wear - I just had to replace the bearings in the wheels. Still, well worth the $250 spent on it at the time. When you consider the previous two bags I had fell apart in a matter of months and cost $100 each... Doesn't take much math to realize the expensive durable bag is worth it.

Newscience and sobore like this.
  4. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any garment bags (carry on size) that anyone could/would recommend? Work unfortunately requires me to have a suit readily available for last minute meetings.

Thank you!

M