The best ways to get & post 165K AA miles in 5 weeks!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Kalboz, Oct 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My lifetime AAdvantage account stands at 835K miles ... now, that the new rules at AAdvantage will go into effect on December 1st, 2011, what are the best ways to get 165K AA miles to post in 5 weeks? Need to clinch lifetime AA Gold status, worth it? any advice, input or recommendation will be greatly appreciated. :)

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got SPG points?

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    6 months ago I would have said yes, without hesitation.

BUT...
    After the BS that United pulled with my lifetime status (reducing bonus miles earned on revenue fares from 100% to 50%), I would say no lifetime status is worth going out of one's way for.

The airlines & hotels hold all the cards, so yes you could earn lifetime AA Gold but AA could change the perks w/in AA Gold at anytime so what may be a nice to have now, could be almost worthless down the road.

I'd suggest staying your normal course & if a lifetime status happens, great I hope you can benefit, but personally I'm not going out of my way to earn anymore lifetime status.

edog22, zpaul, tommy777 and 11 others like this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is to book a few longhaul trips in paid C or F with an AA credit card. Or if you can front the cash, you could find some opportunities to buy gift cards through the AA shopping portal to use later. But this close to the deadline, there are few inexpensive options.

zpaul, JohnDeere19, Wurm and 3 others like this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    46K of them ;)

6. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Deposit $75,000 in Ameritrade account- 50,000 miles.
    If you have SPG points, trade them in for AA miles.
    Make donations to AA partners and you get a tax deduction as well.
    Sign up for some AA credit cards if you can, but it may be too late to get the miles depending on the closing date of the credit card.
    Transfer various hotel points, if you have them and if they can be exchanged for AA miles.

zpaul, alohastephen, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 to this. Unless you fly AA frequently, lifetime Gold currently gets you the stickers, free bags, priority boarding, and better seats. Upgrades? I'm 0 for n. You would have to calculate the value of these benefits in the time between now and the point at which you'll get lifetime Gold from BIS miles.

Oh, and to leave a suggestion with a low physical ROI but good karma points: if you have a good chunk of cash, use your Citi credit card to fund more Kiva loans. In 12 months or 18 months, you can always withdraw the funds from your account (minus a small risk of default/currency loss), or reloan for more karma.

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about access to lounges? Matching status to other OneWorld airlines & access to their lounges?

Aren't these part of the benefits?

9. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gold doesn't give you lounge access, Platinum does.

10. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup. It's deceptive in that Gold is the first tier with AA, whereas * Gold (second tier) gets lounge access.

Edit: agreed with NYBanker below. "Confusing," perhaps.

zpaul, JohnDeere19, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is true that Gold gives you no lounge access or priority baggage delivery. But: You still get a special "desk" number, and even before making Vested Plat I noticed the Gold desk was helpful in flight interruptions, cancellations and the like. Also (and I think this is still the case), Golds can book exit rows at time of reservation w/o a fee. And unlike many folks on here, when I was Gold I found my upgrade requests cleared a preponderance of the time (though obviously not too far in advance). And you still get the 500-mile minimum and 25% bonus, unless something has changed. So, IMHO it is worth it.

What I didn't see in your post or in those of the people who have responded so far is the "Buy AA Miles" feature on the AAdvantage web site. The "exchange rate" is neither wonderful nor terrible, and I do use it each year. Have you used it for 2011 yet? If not, you might consider that. A couple pieces of advice on Buy AA Miles: (1) Since Dec. 1 is not very far away, if you plan to do this in 2011 and haven't yet, I would do it in early November, and to get credit-card miles as well as the miles you buy, I would do it with an AA credit card whose billing cycle ends sometime well before the end of the month. (2) Why do I say early November and not right now? Well, you could buy the annual maximum of 40,000 now (if you haven't yet used this feature in 2011), but there some history of AA offering a "November monthly special" where the annual cap is raised to 60,000 (in which case you could buy 20,000 more then, I guess). Finally, there is, beyond the temporarily increased cap, also some history of offering "bonus miles" in November, beyond the ones you buy at the normal Buy AA Miles rate. However, be advised that points.com, which administers the program, gives you the miles you buy within a few days, but waits until after the expiration date of the bonus to give you the bonus ones, and you wouldn't get the extra ones til (well) after Dec. 1.

zpaul, JohnDeere19, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Deceptive is a strong statement.

zpaul, JohnDeere19, Chimpy and 4 others like this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    40k of them will get you 50k AA in two steps. You could buy some points on AA or spg, too.

Against that, unless you care a lot about baggage fee waivers, AA gold isn't really that worthwhile. Upgrades are few, and you don't get lounge access with gold/ruby.

14. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Donations are a good way to get many points fast, and a tax deduction as well. Of the various charities that give 10 AA Miles per dollar donated, I believe Komen for the Cure and USO each have a 50K miles annual limit, but the National Foundation for Cancer Research annual limit is (I believe) 500K.

The key here is to donate using appreciated stocks if you can rather than out-of-pocket cash so that "cost" to you will be less. You'll need to contact the charity (rather than just donating at the site) in order to set up the stock donation, but it can be done rather rapidly.

If you do donate in cash, charge the donation to the Starwood AMEX so you get Starpoints that convert to AA miles at 25K miles for 20K points. That gets you to your goal faster.

15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The expensive new CIti Executive card will continue to earn points towards lifetime status from spending for at least a year...

16. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have not opened Citi AA Personal cards in the last 18+ months, you can probably get two 50K bonus Citi AA cards, one AmEx and one Visa. Must apply for both on the same day and preferably back-to-back. Make the $3000 spend on each immediately when you get the cards. 106K AA miles.

Convert the 46K SPG points to 56K AA points. 162K AA miles.

There are a ton of ways to get 4K miles, including flying.

17. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know, the agents I now get at UA (when I went from 1k to PremEx) leave soooooo much to be desired.

18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Willie I am not saying the AA Gold ones I had were superhuman or anything, but they are courteous, will listen, etc. One of them did not hesitate to put me on hold for a second and (successfully) plead to a supervisor when there was a schedule change that was to get me in way late on a free Milesaaver First ticket to a popular Christmas destination and seats were available, but not in that inventory, on an earlier, more convenient flight. I'm sure the EXPs, and I know the Plats, get treated even better, but the Gold ones are quite okay, in my experience.

19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz, with the decent amount of suggestions you have received, as the next few weeks unfold I think we would be curious if (a) you decide it's worth and it choose to go for it, and, if so, (b) what methods you choose, and (c) if you make it!

20. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Golds do get to use domestic first/intl. business check-in desks - this can be helpful when you are at a very crowded airport and the standard economy class line is a mile long.

21. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And "PriorityAAccess" (SM) security screening at airports where it is offered, too. When I went to confirm that a minute ago, I found the entire "grid" of EXP vs PLT vs GLD benefits. Here is the link, if it is "AAny" help. http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/elite-benefits-chart.jsp

zpaul, JohnDeere19, harvson3 and 3 others like this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    zpaul, JohnDeere19 and Chimpy like this.
  23. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Man, I wish I lived in a world where I could even theortically consider stuff like "just drop 75k in a brokerage account." :D

zpaul, alohastephen, msv and 7 others like this.
  24. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's also the Fidelity AA promo for 50K miles for depositing $100K.
    There's a thread on TOBB about that deal; the best part of which is that you don't actually need the full $100K to get the miles as people have been able to churn money in and out of their account to meet the requirement. Depending on how much you can drop in and out, you might be able to get the miles in that time-frame, just before the Dec. 1 deadline.

zpaul, JohnDeere19 and Kalboz like this.
  25. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    • transfer in SPG
    • buy more SPG to transfer in
    • buy AA
    • have someone transfer in AA
    • citi world elite mastercard (earn for another year) plus you get 25k miles for $1k spend

zpaul, MyTravels and Kalboz like this.