The Best Use for Marriott Points

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Kalboz, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and Counsellor like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Counsellor likes this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just I converted my Marriott points to UA miles on February 5th 2016. Today I got an email from united for 25% more miles for converting Marriott points (registration is required): https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/reg/PTM2016/conf.html :oops:

But Marriott's Hotel + Air Package webpage shows only 10% bonus: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

- so either way I'm missing on 10%-25% extra points for converting 3 week earlier! :eek: Wondering if a call to Marriott would help getting the extra miles ...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Kalboz - So, did you try calling? Results (if any)?

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tweeted and after a week received the standard response: sorry but no go! :p

Already burned the 5 nights at Bangkok Marriott Sukhumvit 57

Counsellor likes this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really wish they'd bring back the Sampler travel packages, seven night in three certificates, 2, 2, and 3 nights, You could use them together at the same hotel, or split between two or three properties. They were offered for Europe and Hawaii, and I really put them to good use one time: 2 nights in Prague, 2 nights in Vienna, and 3 nights in BudaPest.

Ah, those were the days!

B1BomberVB and Kalboz like this.
  8. chung55122

chung55122 Member

Status Points:
    I'm having a really difficult time finding a CSR that knows about the 5-night travel packages. I have a boatload of UR and am willing to redeem them for the travel package (via transferring to Marriott). Any tips on getting a CSR that will let you book the 5-night travel package without being a Vacation Club Owner?

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Opportunities are abound!

Now you can transfer 19K Starwood points into 57K Marriott Rewards points, which will give you 25K United miles and you’ll have 1,000 Marriott Rewards leftover. You can convert those leftover points back into 333 Starpoints. Effectively you can transfer 18,667 Starpoints into 25K United miles, an effective 33.9% bonus compared Starwood’s normal 25% bonus.

An even better deal is with Marriott’s miles+nights packages. 270K Marriott Rewards points would give you 132K United miles and 7 nights in a Marriott category 1-5 hotel. A transfer of 90K Starpoints into 270K Marriott Rewards points will make that happen. Even if you don’t use the 7 night hotel certificate being able to transfer 90K Starpoints into 132K United miles is an effective 46.7% bonus!

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/95865

Cholula likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that you have to be Platinum to get this accomplished.

When I called was told that it's only available to Marriott Vacation Club members but when I insisted, I was placed on hold and the agent spoke to a supervisor to come back and process the transaction for me. Just call and say that a friend of yours had this done for him by another CSR and be persistent ... but, of course, with much pleasantries ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    iolaire likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question on the nights and flights package. I know all 7 nights need to be at one property, but do when you book do you need to know the property?

The SW changes affected me as I was going to do the transfer this week for a 2017 and 2018 companion pass, so I need to figure out what I'm going do with the Marriott/SPG points. Luckily its mostly just Marriott card points, plus some SPG, 10k UR and 30k Amex (which I don't have enough of to do much with)...

B1BomberVB and Kalboz like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't have to select the property at time of conversion to Hotel + Air Package. They can be deposited into your account until you decide which property to visit. At such time, you have to call the 800 number to book this.

Please call 1-800-321-7396 to order any of the travel packages below.

Just redeemed one myself and using it at the Marriott Marquis Queen's Park Bangkok:

12/30/16 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels 270,000 12/30/17

Sweet Willie and iolaire like this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never been a big user of Marriott standard rewards but the 270,000 travel package option has perked my interest. Few newbie questions:

1) Are the airline miles deposited at time of conversion?

2) Can one use more miles or pay $ to upgrade to a higher category of hotel than cat 5?

3) Are SPG points credited at 1:1 when transferred into the Marriott program from my SPG account? (I could have sworn I read that SPG are worth more but can't find where I read this)

Thanks,

Willie

Cholula and Kalboz like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Done this package conversion at least 3 times and it works like a charm :)

1) I usually request conversion when there is a 10% bonus miles or more on conversions and usually UA is the best option to convert miles to.

2) More Marriott points gets you better categories but not sure about more money. See T&C here: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

3) No, SPG points morph into 3 MR points when transferred to your Marriott account. SPG points are estimated at $25 per 1000 points while Marriott's at $8 per 1000 points. See post # 36 above for your best options: https://insideflyer.com/forums/threads/the-best-use-for-marriott-points.31282/page-2#post-2759598

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Counsellor and Sweet Willie like this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pizzaman, Counsellor and Sweet Willie like this.
  16. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah California following Cleveland, there really are gods of logical fallacy.

No wonder United's kiosks in CA exude the desire to punch travelers in the belly.

Socratic Question: How do you defeat an opponent who spends every waking moment attempting to circumvent your natural competitive nature onto yourself?

Platonic Answer: You quietly build up a big stack. Corner them and come in over the top.

17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easy with the Koolaid dude! :D

18. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yo just cause Dan got to toss out a pitch doesn't mean on a LARGE scale , adopted by millions of users, your Abacus actually works.

It may have worked for you in some small situations. But overall it's a total mess.

How's about a "Hawaiian Punch"?

Why do you want to Fly anyway? It's all a product of mostly white supreme Hitler wannabe production facilities operating and building the aircraft.

Much more suited for the RV community at Emerald Desert.

19. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey did you hear ? Air Greyhound has a really great offer California.

Saw it on Reddit/DansDeal/BamazonicChronic

20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Others might share your opinion (and it's only that) about not want to share miles/point-related experiences and discussion but that only be counterintuitive to the idea of online community. This thread is about the best use for Marriott points, so if you want to philosophize, let's take it aside ... please PM me or start a thread to that end! :)

Going back to the subject at hand, Etihad is offering 20% bonus on hotel points transfers including Marriott. Again, I am not a taker because I am not the least impressed by EY's service even in their much touted first class. But many other out there might find this deal lucrative.

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardingarea.com/2016/10/etihad-20-bonus-on-transfers/

Our experience with Etihad is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157666962530740

21. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite offer is back on ... Transfer hotel points to United: 30% bonus!

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...904.551952515.1507508794-237444744.1463288423

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  23. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kind of down on chains lately bc not really giving you much and everybody's attitude towards loyalty programs and getting actual value is so lacksadaisacal way I figure if YOU don't care about your business or where you work, why should I?

Glad to see WN picking up Wiki wiki. Maybe it'll calm the 9th circuit down a bit.

Have fun making more K's more Dough Rey Me.

I'm sure he was arrested for his behavior AFTER receiving the bad news ( wrong bag, flight cancelled, hotel fire, Legacy lost)

not for his choice of fashion luggage.

https://is.gd/RYsGFK

Sorry it's like a trainwreck. Can't look away.

Even though it's terrible Karma

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017