The Best Use for Marriott Points

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Kalboz, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed with the points guy that transferring Marriott points to airlines at a ratio of 10,000 points to 2,000 miles is not a great deal. The best Marriott redemption at the moment is 270K MRPs (Travel Package as seen below) for 7 nights at a Category 1-5 property plus 180K US Airways miles -- this is normally 120K, but there's a 50% bonus until March 31st on hotel conversions.

[​IMG]

B1BomberVB, iolaire, sobore and 3 others like this.
  2. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    although its the same amount of Miles , wouldnt a person be better off cashing in for either a Cat 6,7 or8 since most 5s were 3/14s Cat4s. Cant think of that many 5s Id like to spend a week at

B1BomberVB and Kalboz like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many are great properties in category 5, including my favorite the JW Marriott Bangkok, among others:
    • Bangkok- JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
    • Hua Hin- Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa
    • Koh Samui- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
    • Phuket- Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
    • Takuapa, Phang Nga- JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa
    More here: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUpPropertyList.mi

And the 180K US miles should get you there and back in first class ;)

gregm and sobore like this.
  4. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    thats 1 Country I havent hit yet but most places Id spend a week are > Cat 5 usually WorldWide and Im usually not in any 1 place for even near a week

I still have a Cat:6,7 nights that I got when Cat6 was the highest Cat and keep rolling it over . Since the places I used to spend a week or more (now no longer a MR) was after using Premium Pounds costing me bet $49-79 a night, eventually I will ante up some extra pts and get either a week at a Cat 7 or Cat 8

Kalboz likes this.
  5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What can I do with 50,000?

Kalboz likes this.
  6. dmc730

dmc730 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Transfer them to me:rolleyes:

ella, Flyer1976 and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, Travel Packages awards are not available for 50K MR points, they start from 200K and up as shown in the chart above. However, 50K will get you plenty of room as you can redeem for 4 nights and get the 5th night free (same as in SPG program). Marriott has 8 Marriott brands categories & 5 tiers in Ritz-Carlton from 7,500 to 70,000 points per night. Plus, Marriott has PointSavers, where you can use up to 33% fewer points for your stays at available properties including the RC. See more here:http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/2011/09/26/better-know-a-reward-marriott-pointsavers/

To enhance your balance for better awards, you can also buy up to 50,000 points in a calendar year from Marriott Rewards at the rate of $12.50 per 1,000 points. Further, and until April 2, 2012, you can buy back your elite status for 2012. Also, Marriott Rewards allows you to transfer between two spouses/domestic partners the minimum points needed for a reward redemption, rounded to nearest 1,000 points.

iloveawardtravel and SDFlyer like this.
  8. ulvy

ulvy New Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz ....Thanks! I am wondering how I can find the 50% bonus? Is this for U.S. Airways only. Is it on the Marriott rewards site or the U.S. Airways site?

Kalboz likes this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting deal. I don't have the Marriott points now, but will need someplace in Bangkok at the end of the summer. If I get hold of a bunch of Marriott points later in the year and there is some kind of bonus going on it might make sense at that time.

I assume that the airline points and the hotel booking are separate — you don't need to somehow actually use the points in conjunction with the stay, do you?

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    One reason for getting a Cat. 1-5 award rather than higher is that Marriott will allow you to increase the Category level later (with the required point difference of course.) Thus, if you aren't sure where you want to use the hotel portion yet, get the lowest level possible and then if you want to use it at a higher category hotel later, you can pay the point difference.

But you can't do the opposite. If you order a Cat. 8 TP award and later decide you want to use the hotel portion at a Cat. 6 hotel, you can't "decrease" its category level. Thus you would have waisted points.

12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone recommend the best Marriott property [for use of points] in Dubai? I will try to go towards the end of the year. I have plenty of points.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also have 2 free night Cat 5 certs to use by May or June. I'd like to stay close to home and just "beach it' for a weekend. Any suggestions?

Kalboz likes this.
  14. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doing a quick search of marriott.com for Cat. 5 beach hotels in Florida, I found there are 4 such Marriott hotels. Two of them aren't too far from you (assuming you are in Ft. Lauderdale): Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach and Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina

The other two Cat 5 beach hotels in florida are bit further from you but they are: Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront and Sawgrass Marriott Golf Resort & Spa

I haven't been to any of those four hotels, so I can't really tell you how nice they are or how nice the beach is that they are on. But if you want a beach front hotel using your Cat. 1-5 free night certs and you want to stay close to home (i.e. in Florida) those seem to be your choices.

Kalboz and gregm like this.
  15. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use category 1-5 certificates for the JW Beijing and also MR points. Its a great Hotel with good service, lounge offer etc. Normally a night would cost $300 IF you pay. I never have.

16. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. None of your links worked! :confused: The four of them are a little far for a quick weekend. I travel to and from work every week and would prefer to stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks for the info.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, @Thomask but Beijing is a little too far from Ft. Lauderdale (for a weekend). Not sure there's a great beach there either!! I will, however, definitely consider it for future certs and point use, but when I have at least a week to spend there.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry, I guess I should have read the whole question.

19. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    No worries! Still good info.

Thomask and Kalboz like this.
  20. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops. Sorry about that. I'm not yet used to the interface here. It seems to treat links just a bit differently than vbulletin based forums (like FlyerTalk.) I'll make sure to pay more attention to that in the future.

I guess the real question then is if you only want a beach-front property or not? If not, I suspect we could find you something a little more close to that area. When I travelled out to the Miramar area, I used to stay in Plantation. There is a Ren there that is nice and I do believe it is a Cat. 5, but it definitely isn't close to the beach.

21. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would definitely like to beach it. I live 2 miles from the beach now, but just want to be able to walk to and from the beach with a cocktail and a pair of shorts!

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Florida has many Cat 5 properties (48 of them), and I am sure you will find the gem in the haystack here: http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/florida.hotels.united-states.Category5/

Also, even though Mexico city isn't a beach destination its JW Marriott is highly regarded ... a nice place to stay while checking out the Aztecan ruins :)

[​IMG]

gregm and hhoope01 like this.
  23. hhoope01
    Original Member

hhoope01 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you were better able to provide a link than I was, I'll use your link to provide one more point. :)

In Kalboz's link, on the right-hand side under "Select Features", at the very bottom of that list you can see he checked "Cat 5" to show the list of Cat 5 hotels in the state of FL. If you move up one section to "Activities" and expand it, you will see "Beaches" as one of the check-boxes. If you check that box, you will then see the same 4 hotels I listed earlier. And that is how I was able to get that list.

gregm and Kalboz like this.
  24. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  25. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although the redemption value probably is not that good, I found an interesting way to use Marriot points... To purchase Priority Pass membership.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/moretrvlserv.mi

RewardPoints
    Priority Pass - Standard Membership 20,000
    Priority Pass - Standard Plus Membership 55,000
    Priority Pass - Prestige Membership 85,000

Kalboz likes this.
  26. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, on a points to the dollar basis the standard membership is the best value. I didn't say a good value, just a better value than the higher levels based upon the published prices of $99/$249/$399. And seeing how it's not too difficult to get a discount from those prices (e.g. code FREDDIEAWARDS gives 20% off), yeah, I imagine most people would rather use the points for something else. But hey, if you're flush with Marriott points...

Kalboz and vickers like this.
  27. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    bigx0 likes this.