The best time to go to Ireland, June or July?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by disambiguous1, Sep 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My youngest is graduating from high school in June, and I'm putting together a trip for her and my wife to go to Ireland, wife's mom's ancestral homeland. Graduation is on the 12th of June. My wife can set her vacation any time during the summer. I'll be using United points to book the flight, built up via the MP credit card.

I'm wondering what time in the summer would be the best to go. Aside from a trip to the little town where her family came from, they'll be doing the usual tourist thing, including some travel in England and Wales. The main concerns are crowds, weather, and cultural events. For convenience on this side of the Atlantic, I'm considering late June/early July. They'll have two weeks.

What say you, the vastly knowledgable denizens of Milepoint? What's your favorite time to visit the Emerald Isle, and why? Any advantages to getting on the plane as soon as possible after graduation? How are things in July? Is there any reason to wait until August? -DA1

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've not been in that exact season, but I'm tempted to say "err on the side of lower crowds". I think the earlier the better. Remember that the emerald isle is big, and the roads are narrow; they might prefer to have more time there rather than spread themselves thinner by including England and Wales on the same trip.

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ireland has pretty constant weather compared to North America -- coolish and damp throughout the year. I'd avoid peak vacation season if possible and go in June.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed Ireland in June when I went in 2010. It wasn't that crowded in Dublin and the people were very friendly. The weather was perfect as well being in the mid-60s. :)

5. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent. Many thanks. June it is then, since there seems to be a consensus that June is not the highest part of the tourist season there. DA1