The Best Time to Buy an Airplane Ticket (and When We Actually Buy)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Kalboz, Mar 12, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    A recent study by Expedia and the Airlines Reporting Corporation suggests there might actually be an optimal time to buy airplane tickets.
    http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2...y-an-airplane-ticket-and-when-we-actually-buy
    [​IMG]

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    When discussing a "study", it's customary to disclose who paid for it.
    In this case travelers and the airlines are on the opposite sides of ticket purchases, and obviously do not have same interests.

uggboy, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does Expedia and Airlines Reporting Corporation share similar interests? Do you think that this report is accurate or otherwise?

uggboy, Kalboz and MX like this.
  6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Expedia is a vendor to the airlines. There are lots of online reservation services, so I'm sure Expedia would strive to deliver the best value to its customers (the airlines).
    The first paragraph of the article addresses the validity issues somewhat. On the surface, this "study" appears to steer travelers to purchase tickets based on fixed timing, rather than price or travelers' convenience. I would expect such behavior will result in more unwise purchases and subsequent change fees or cancellations.

uggboy, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good catch, MX! Thanks for your explanation! I found it difficult to believe that a "best price ticket" would available on the same day in advance for all airlines, let alone that a 2-day advance purchase difference (57 versus 59 days) is a big deal. And a HT to Kalboz for posting! :)

uggboy, Kalboz and MX like this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember, ARC used to be the major vendor who issued paper tickets; that was in the era when internet was known as Arpanet :) Now, in the era of etickets, and period of settlement (between airline and ticketing agents) has been all but skewed to reduce and/or change the middle(person)'s role. OTAs have replaced BnMTAs.

Newscience, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone other than vacationers book travel 6 months out?
    and if they do are they buying the "best/lowest" fare offered?
    In today's ever changing and fluid environment I would expect that a lot of trip protection is purchased which could negate any real savings on the "Best" price.

Kalboz, MX, Newscience and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I understand the article correctly, this data applies only to flights originating in Singapore. So, there would be a corresponding chart for other points of departure. This raises an interesting point: how specific does the historical data need to be to serve as a good basis for making a useful forecast? That is, will one chart for all of the U.S. be good enough, or do you need a chart for your home city because the historical record shows variation at that level that you would need to forecast the "best" time to buy? I have never seen data sliced that finely for public reports.

IMHO, George Hobica, from the first study you pointed out, has the money quote: "There is no secret time. You need to look four times a day—minimum—every day of the week, as far in advance as you can."

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see or rather I don't see an optimal time to purchase North Pacific ( Japan, China, Korea, or Taiwan ).
    China is always high Japan and Taiwan fluctuate greatly in no obvious pattern.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. IOI

IOI New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm planning to travel to Taiwan on next year.
    Did you have any suggested time to purchase the cheaper flight ticket? Or which airline you prefer?

14. tann

tann New Member

Status Points:
    Where are you planning to take the flight?

15. underfly

underfly New Member

Status Points:
    airline.. I am not sure. I would suggest you see maybe can purchase cheap ticket from airasia. Btw you plan to go there by tour or backpack? If you decided to go by tour by your own. I suggest you find out more for this company. You can do your DIY tour.
    I used this company before. Not bad at diytourasia.com but slightly more expensive

16. IOI

IOI New Member

Status Points:
    I will plan to depart from Kuala Lumpur.
    Any suggestion?

17. IOI

IOI New Member

Status Points:
    I go there only by backpack. I heard that AirAsia is quite cheap and mostly suitable for backpacker. But I'm seeking for more suggestion from others.

18. tann

tann New Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you can try to search for AirAsia air ticket.
    If you are planning for backpack travel, you can try to purchase air ticket with hotel together to get cheaper price on AirAsia.com or download their mobile app for easier booking.

19. Kuan

Kuan New Member

Status Points:
    I did heard before those hotel that purchase with air ticket package is bad in quality right???
    Location far from traveling place, dirty and bad service..

20. tann

tann New Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the AirAsiaGo service for many times but never met the situation as you spoken.
    Due AAGO is not purchase by package instead of let you choose the hotel you want.

21. IOI

IOI New Member

Status Points:
    But how I could know which hotel is better? Look have to survey before choosing too..

22. tann

tann New Member

Status Points:
    The website will show you the details of hotel when your are choosing the hotels.
    Reviews, comments, even stars and location also will be there. So unlikely will get the bad quality one.

23. Kuan

Kuan New Member

Status Points:
    I see. Then I would like to try it once. Thank you for your information..Seems like alot of friends recommend to use AirAsia. Sorry for wrong info given before.