The Best Tech Gear for the Road?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Horse, Jul 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can take it with you. A digital nomad reveals his favorite mobile equipment for traveling light.

By Anil Polat, PCWorld Jul 29, 2011 9:00 pm Link

Editor’s note: Former computer security consultant Anil Polat has set a goal of traveling the world indefinitely, while blogging about his tech-fueled experiences at foxnomad.com. Given his on-the-go lifestyle, Polat has strong feelings about what to look for in digital tagalongs. Here’s what he recommends.

Checkpoint-friendly laptop backpack
    Laptop bag or backpack:

[​IMG]
    Your ideal travel kit includes a Bluetooth headset, an e-reader, audio cables, an all-in-one outlet adapter, and more.

Laptop:

[​IMG]

Ethernet cable
    Portable battery

USB drive

E-reader

Bluetooth headset

Stereo audio cable
    [​IMG]
    Stereo audio cable

Microfiber cloth
    [​IMG]
    iKlear cleaning kit

All-in-one plug adapter
    [​IMG]
    iGo adapter

2. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    USB light
    [​IMG]
    Flex Light

USB wireless antenna
    [​IMG]

Alfa USB wireless adapter

USB travel charger adapter

Individual power adapters

Portable travel strip

Unlocked mobile phone

USB multiport hub
    [​IMG]
    Four-legged Octopus

Extra SD Card for your camera

Chimpy and BeachMiles like this.
  3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can we please stop copying and pasting complete articles to this forum. It is not fair to the original author (I am assuming that is not the OP) nor is it fair to the site who is hosting the content and losing out on the traffic and ad revenue. If you think the article or in this case the list is substantive just link to the story and share your feelings.

Back to the article, I agree that most of the stuff is good to bring with you, though I think the screen cleaner is a bit overkill. Especially the liquid spray. I know I don't need to deal with any more liquids when I travel if I can avoid it. Usually my screen does not get so dirty that I ever need to clean it on the road and can't wait until I get home. The USB range extender I also thought was overkill I think a travel router would be better severed. USB light :rolleyes:.

I don't think that is necessarily true either.

CrankyScott likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't recall ever seeing an ethernet port in an airport terminal that looked like it would get me on the internet.

And I can't recall when I last had to use my own Ethernet cable at a hotel, because those that offer Ethernet also tend of have one in the room. So I have pretty much decided that my cable stays home from now on.

Bluetooth headset? Hate those, don't use it.

Multiport hub? Nope. Two ports plus USB charger for iPhone/iPad suffices.

USB Wireless Antenna? Nope, no way.

USB Light? Seriously? I do bring a small maglite with me most of the time.

Powerstrip? Have one, never used it. So stays at home.

Stereo audio cable? Nope. I enjoy listening to local radio stations and/or NPR.

Portable battery? Yes, but a much smaller one that suffices for my iPhone.

E-Reader? Only if I plan to spend time reading outdoors at the pool/beach... otherwise my iPad does the job.

Liquid cleaner? No way.

Chimpy and Horse like this.
  5. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bottom line, aside from all the tech stuff- best tech gear for the road is an iPad,period. Or some other tablet.
    I do emails, watch movies, listen to music, video skype, FaceTime, run apps, play games....all on a 10 hour battery life in a light easy to use machine that fits on my spray table or my lap.

It's the best.

santafefran, Horse and ctporter like this.
  6. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    A USB wireless antenna's overkill. If a connection's out of reach, it usually means you aren't entitled to use it.

I'm surprised the author didn't suggest a personal FM transmitter for a mobile phone. I find them more flexible for travel, since I don't have to rely on the presence of an audio jack for my music.

The author suggests a USB light to light up an e-reader, but also a Nook Color which uses a backlit LCD screen (not an e-ink display) and suffers from the same glare problems that the iPad does.

This article sure doesn't sound like one on travelling light with technology to me.

Horse and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only its spellchecker could read minds (a lot of my posts her on MP have weird typos because of it)

Horse likes this.
  8. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is hilarious. So true.

Horse likes this.
  9. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, it depends on the purpose of my travel. When I am going to a conference where I am one of many speakers I bring a 6' extension cord (meeting rooms never have enough receptacles for everyone's laptops). If the conference is more than a day I will bring along a portable speaker set for my iPod to listen to at night as I love falling asleep to music. Other than those, it is all about weight and space issues, and easy of carrying.

Horse and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    A network cable is a critical part of my road kit - I can't count how many times I have found an in-room cable not working. Today, its Hyatt Regency Kolkata.

adambadam likes this.
  11. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    It sounds like this author have been traveling for too long time and have lost touch with technology or have spent too long time in the computer malls in Hong Kong's Sham Shui Po. USB light, USB wifi antenna, liquid cleaning kit and power strip. Seriously? I can't think that someone who travels indefinitely would really want to carry those Back to the Future essentials around through airports.

Horse likes this.
  12. mhf
    Original Member

mhf Silver Member

Status Points:

A small wifi router is definitely preferable, especially in hotels that charge per device for Internet access. I use one even if I'm only traveling with a laptop. I've found myself in too many rooms where a) the supplied ethernet cable is like six inches long and b) the wall port is hidden behind a large piece of furniture.

KyRoamer, Horse and CrankyScott like this.
  13. CrankyScott
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which travel router are you using?

I have been using the Zuni Connect and have been extremely pleased.

Horse likes this.
  14. mhf
    Original Member

mhf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd been using one that I bought in Tokyo, but it died on my last trip. I've purchased a D-Link DAP-1350, but I haven't gotten around to actually plugging it in and testing it yet.

KyRoamer likes this.
  15. CrankyScott
    Original Member

Status Points: