The Best Rib Joints/Smokehouses in the US

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Newscience, Sep 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I been lucky enough to hit several on the list. Bryant's, Oklahoma Joes, The Alamo in Richmond and many more in Memphis, Nashville, and KC. But IMO Fiorella's Jack Stack are rated too well.

Newscience likes this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see several seriously overrated eateries (Kreuz? Smitty's? Louie Mueller's??)
    but think Jack Stack is more or less in its proper place.

Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    YMMV. IMO NYC BBQ ??

violist and Newscience like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having spent a decent amount of time in Central Texas, I have eaten at Black's, City Market, Kreutz, and Louie Millers. All are decent. But City Market is the best of the Four. Probably because they are not a "name" and the Barbeque is the thing. But the best I had was in Sulphur Springs Texas--way up in the Northeast corner of the State. Called Jack's but really just a roadhouse with a barbeque pit. Located on the eastern bypass around town, just past the Railroad Tracks. (That is the best way to describe the location) Chopped Beef Sandwich was BBQ Brisket chopped with a Cleaver, put on a big old bun and covered with their Sauce.

But that is my opinion. (My opinion also thinks that nowhere in DC or NYC has decent BBQ):cool:

violist, ACMM and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll agree that there are few decent BBQ joints/smokehouses north of the Mason-Dixon line. In the same way that you shouldn't bother with eating a crab cake north of Maryland. ;) Rocklands meets the criteria to be on this list, and you'll just have to give it a try if you're in the neighborhood! ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  7. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, that Brooklyn BBQ wasn't too bad, but there seemed to be a substantial
    overrepresentation by NYC stuff.

Newscience likes this.
  8. BerniceDavid

BerniceDavid New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this awesome list would be looking for good place in US and this link sorted out my search. I am also looking for good restaurant is US that serves authentic Thai food. I know one i.e Moon Thai Weston but apart from this does anyone have other option.

Newscience likes this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chicago has a number of options, see the Chicago dining thread or message me.

I'm heading to Dallas in a month, will for sure check out Pecan Lodge from the list, thanks for posting Newscience.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016