The Best of Naples in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by NileGuide, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. There’s no shortage of pizza in Vancouver, but there’s nothing really like Nicli Antica when it comes to authentic pizza that you would find in Naples. They have flown in their wood burning oven directly from Naples and only use San Marzono tomatoes on a base of “00” Caputo flour crusts and top them with the best of the best ingredients. After 90 seconds of baking, the result is quite possibly one of the best pizzas you will taste, outside of Naples. The crust is both soft and chewy at the same time and the marinara is bursting with flavor. Since their opening a few months ago, business has been booming and there’s usually a wait on any given night because they don’t take reservations. On this occasion, a group of us arrived at 5:15 to ensure a table and we were seated at one of the last available tables, before the lines starting forming.
    On the menu is a few antipasti plates and then a handful of pizza choices. I like that they don’t try to incorporate other items onto the menu because when you’re good at something, stick to it and excel. That, Nicli certainly does.
    [​IMG]
    Credit: Natasha John
    The birthday girl of the night ordered what she usually gets when we’re out for pizza, the classic Margharita. This basic pizza consists of pomodoro, parmigiano, fior di latte and a few whole pieces of fresh basil. She was not disappointed and I think she would have been happy with just this and no presents, if push came to shove.
    [​IMG]
    At $19.00, the Quattro Formaggi is one of the most expensive pizzas on the menu, but our cheese loving maiden is happy to order this every time she goes because it’s generously loaded with various flavorful cheeses. It doesn’t have a marinara sauce and is topped with extra virgin olive oil, parmigiano, fior di latte, gorgonzola, emmental and fresh basil. They bring chili infused and rosemary olive oil to the table that are a welcome addition to dip those chewy crusts into.
    [​IMG]
    Our meat loving, Italian man was lured by the Prosciutto Crudo that’s dressed with pomodoro, parmigiano, fior di latte, basil, prosciutto crudo and it was a work of art that any Italian mamma would be proud of.
    [​IMG]
    The Funghi pizza was my choice because I love mushrooms and this did not let me down. Some of their pizzas are topped with fresh arugula, this one is not, but I requested it and it was the perfect addition of peppery greens to my earthy mushroom pizza.
    [​IMG]
    If you’re feeling like a salad, one of the choices is the Insalata Prosciutto e Rucola is a mix of prosciutto, arugula, roasted pear and cambozola cheese that’s dressed with a balsamic-fig vinaigrette.
    The wine and cocktail list is quite extensive and they offer a number of Italian wines to go with your meal, but when the house wine is $5.00 a glass, it makes it hard to say no to a glass or two of that. I started the night off with the Italian 75 cocktail which was right up my alley with prosecco, campari and other yummy tinctures.
    Nicli Antica is definitely one of Vancouver’s hot spots, so be prepared for a wait if you’re going during peak hours. Otherwise, try going during off-peak times and take your time enjoying your pizza.

Continue reading...