The Best Lifetime Luggage Warranties

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.gadling.com/2013/08/01/best-lifetime-luggage-warranties/

Picking up my luggage from the JFK baggage carousel on my last trip, I discovered Alitalia had managed to rip off an entire wheel from my 5+ year old suitcase. I didn't even bother to file a claim with the airline, as it's a Briggs & Riley, with one of the best luggage warranties in the business. I took it to Manhattan's Modern Leather Goods (an authorized repair center) and five minutes later, my bag was as good as new. I filled out a short form with my contact information and walked out with my repaired bag, free of charge.

My other bag, a Swiss Gear four-wheeler purchased at Target two years ago, is also showing some wear, with a few tears in the nylon exterior after a few big trips. However, since the receipt for that bag is long lost, I fear, so is my chance of getting it repaired free of charge. Depending on the collection, some Swiss Army bags are covered with a free warranty for several years or even a lifetime, under certain conditions, but only with the original sales receipt.

Read More: http://www.gadling.com/2013/08/01/best-lifetime-luggage-warranties/

jbcarioca, Travelsavant and uggboy like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've been a Briggs & Riley guy for years now. The few times I've had a problem with one if my bags they quickly repaired it. No fees, no questions asked.

jbcarioca, Travelsavant and sobore like this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    B&R is the way to go. Very good and fast repairs. When your bag has finally given up the ghost, they will even cut you a deal on a new one.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have yet to have one give up. :)

5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I
    No doubt B&R is the highest quality and best warranty. Tumi has a "lifetime" warranty where you get to pay them $30 to repair your bag if it is over a year old. :mad:

I think what happens with B&R, when an old bag ends up at their facility, and the repairs needed are just too extensive, they offer you a new bag at a discount. So, they don't have to do the work, probably cover their costs with the price they charge you and you get a discounted new bag. Win, Winner!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Another vote for B&R. Love my B&R bag. Unfortunately they are (in general) a bit bulkier and don't look as nice as many other bags out there...but when it comes to warranty repair - they rock. My bag has been back 3 times so far in about 5 years. Always get the bag back within a couple weeks (tops). In one instance I had back-to-back trips with a few days in between. Called their NY repair office and they expedited the bag back for me. It spent a total of one day there and came back good as new. They'll also upgrade all the hardware every time it goes back. My bag has come back with better handles, better interior extension pieces and more.

7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eagle Creek is my brand of choice only because I started out with a book bag in college and I still have it plus two other pieces. Their stuff is a little less sophisticated in appearance (very casual) but I really like them. I have looked at B&R stuff and it is really nice but the price point is a little high for me. Same with Tumi.

MX, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had good luck with Briggs and Riley and also with Victorinox. Victorinox recently gave me a brand new bag when I took one back to the store for repair. The bag was already 5 years old and they replaced it for free. I've had a Briggs and Riley repaired, but never needed a replacement.

MX, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No doubt some of my fellow frequent travelers have poked fun at my bulky Briggs bags. I've never really cared much because they're so damn sturdy. And, they now have the cooler looking Torq bags. I gave one away on my blog recently and will be posting the review from the winner shortly, but the short summary is he's very pleased with the bag.

chrislacey, jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would never poke fun at people who choose very heavy, bulky bags. So long as they do not impede my own carryon space I am not bothered. In the meantime Victorinox, at much lower prices still repairs anything i send to them and ships it back to me updated and functioning nicely. In short one does not need to be heavy and bulky to get a good warranty.

sobore likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I like the style of the Victorinox bags, especially the handles on some of the rolling carry-ons. But, I just wasn't able to find the right configuration for a carry-on that works for me. And, I love the flat bottom inside the B&R. I would buy a Victorinox, just haven't found one to use as my everyday bag.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... surprised nobody said costco

paladinua likes this.
  13. paladinua

paladinua Silver Member

Status Points:

I got my Tumi at Costco - have had no problems, and its been to 6 of the 7 continents... but its only been carried on (If I know I'll be on an RJ or I'll have to check it, I take one of my old Delseys).

That said, B&R bags look awesome, I'd love to have one, but, alas, the Tumi is great, until it kicks the bucket.

Of course, that all said - I'm hoping to get a Rimowa from SMD5, that may be the coveted lifetime bag.

14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I still have an old Kirkland carry-on that was my everyday bag back in the late 90s/early 2000s (I think). It's now my wife's backup bag. Still going strong.

edekba likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, I am not a huge fan of any bag. The. victorinox bags I have bought have all been very deeply discounted. They also handle the severe abuse my bags receive when they leave Brazil nested and empty, return stuffed to the gills with weight almost always about 30kg. I use scales to ensure that I do not exceed the weight limits. Those bags carry everything from fertilizers and car, refrigerator and other parts as well as more typical stuff.

I have sent Tumi for repair and had the repair refused because of my abuse. Travelpro always seem to be about to break but do not. The Victirinox become tattered and are sometimes with metal frame parts peeking out from the fabric but the continue serving. Every few months I send one of them fir repair which always comes back with modest improvements. I send them to repair here in Brazil but they all were purchased in the US. No receipt required so far. I have become a loyalist because of that.
    I bought one Rimowa, which was damaged the first time I checked it, on LH no less. They refused the repair claiming that air carrier damage was excluded from the warranty. For $600 I was shocked. No more Rimowa for me. No more Tumi either.

I have never tried Briggs & Riley, mostly because of weight and bulk, plus generally higher prices than I'm now willing to pay.

16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an Eddie Bauer bag that I check when on longer trips. I has been many times across the pond and has resisted the abuse of "rampies". The bag is 7 years old.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Victorinox has changed their warranty terms.

The Victorinox Werks 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 bags had a "Carry With Confidence Guarantee" which covered airline damage through the life of the bag. Their newest Werks 5.0 line limits that coverage to five years.

I have had good experiences with Victorinox, too, but I'm much less excited by this new warranty.

18. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    people either love or hate Rimowa:eek:

they do not have a lifetime warranty but 5 years for free repairs and quite reasonable rates after initial warranty period

lightweight and most importantly 4 premium wheels, just drop your carry-on on top of your main suitcase and roll away

stuff dents easily but durable otherwise and weatherproof to a degree, there service centres knock dents out for free

[​IMG]

I have had most of the bag sizes for years

19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    5 years just seems too short for the amount of abuse I can put on a bag.