The best item in your carry-on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by wayferapp, Mar 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. wayferapp

wayferapp Member

Status Points:
    Spurred by the article below, we've been thinking: what is the best - the one indispensable - piece in your carry-on that has saved you on many a-trip?

Article was in the WSJ and has been back-of-mind since reading - we wanted to share and build on it:
    "Tips From the Ultimate Travel Strategist:
    David Grayson Always Travels With Duct Tape While Bouncing From Warsaw to Phnom Penh"

He recommends and always packs:
    - A sewing kit
    - Small roll of duct tape
    - Maglight (replaced in the comments by four sevens LED - "smaller and way brighter")
    - A separate wallet for frequent-flier cards and passports
    - Official Airline Guide

Comments also add:
    - Tide Stain Pen
    - Trail mix
    - Passport copy (for intl)

What would you add to the ultimate carry-on list?

stephenbgarvan, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  2. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aspirin
    Band aids
    Toothpaste/brush
    Floss
    One set of clothes
    Deodorant

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always pack a Cliff Bar ... you never know when you're going to be hungry ;)

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    satman40, timfrost and Newscience like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't memorized your frequent flyer numbers, you aren't a frequent flyer! ;)

ella, Dublin_rfk, satman40 and 3 others like this.
  6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or you diversify. I find it handy to have elite cards even for programs that I don't plan to use on the trip. You never know when a flight will get cancelled and you'll have a night at an airport Hilton.

In addition to the suggestions above, I add:
    • my passport(s), even if the trip is planned to be domestic (hey, things could happen)
    • a "distressed passenger" accommodation voucher (e.g. from apaglobal.com)

satman40 likes this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    MilePoint cards. Just in case.

8. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Advil and allergy meds. It was a terrible realization that some countries just don't belive in the stuff and don't carry it

satman40 and wayferapp like this.
  9. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A travel powerstrip is a must for me. Too many things to charge up, and too few outlets, especially in foreign countries where you may only have 1 adapter. (and no, I don't get a kickback for that link)

andyroo31, satman40 and wayferapp like this.
  10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noise canceling headphones.

satman40, wayferapp and Newscience like this.
  11. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a handy dandy little multi-compartment tray that houses all manner of Rx and regular medication. I have the Rxs scanned into my computer and on my phone as pictures if there's ever any question they are for me. Takes up far less space than a bagful of pill bottles and I don't have to go rummaging around in my bag. I bought it at the container store and it instantly became the most compact and efficient thing I've ever used for pills.

I also never leave home without my epi-pen - usually two. If it doesn't save my life it could save someone else's.

PhoenixDown, satman40 and Newscience like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your meds are class 1or class 2 drugs you can go to jail without them being in a prescription bottle. I always carry mine in the script bottle. I have put many a person in jail for not having them in a script bottle.

Dublin_rfk, Newscience and satman40 like this.
  14. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the items listed below I'll try to put in my personal bag, as I can usually get everything into a carry-on and won't need to check baggage. While this list is long, most of the items are small. Aside from the computer, the largest items are the noise-cancelling headphones and neck support.

*One day's supply of clothing, or at least some extra underwear and socks in case they make me check my other baggage and there's a problem of some sort.
    *One of those USB recharger batteries.
    *All the chargers and connectors for my Surface 3 Pro, cell phone, and other technology, including earbuds.
    *All medication.
    *As others have mentioned, a sewing kit and tape. For tape, I take either Gorilla Tape or gaffer tape, or both, and re-wrap a small amount of it around one of those dummy credit cards from come-ons they send you in the mail. Get real professional gaffer tape, not the cheap stuff. If I'm flying into Naples or Barcelona, I'll use the sewing kit to sew up my pockets.
    *Noise-cancelling headphones (I'll often just keep these around my neck when boarding to save space and weight in my carry-on).
    *Magazines and crossword puzzle books.
    *Papers with all my contact and itinerary info.
    *All the tickets for anything I've pre-purchased.
    *An additional paper with all my credit card info in a coded format that no one but me or my traveling companions could decipher (some of the numbers will refer to traveling companions' house numbers or birthday dates or phone numbers, so a thief who gets hold of them won't be able to use them, but my wife or kids or companions could).
    *Sunglasses.
    *Umbrella.
    *Ear plugs (both sponge and wax).
    *Sleeping mask.
    *Neck support for sleeping on the plane.
    *A stick of sunblock (looks like a big stick of lip balm). (I was on an airport shuttle bus that caught fire in a place where there was no shade, and the other passengers and I were sitting on our luggage in the sun for well over an hour before they got another bus to pick us up. This stuff saved my hide, http://www.rei.com/product/785331/banana-boat-sport-sunscreen-stick-spf-50, until I remembered that I could also use my umbrella as a parasol. Fits in a pocket, covers your arms and face and neck several times over.)
    *If I am not traveling super-economy (and sometimes if I am) a lightweight pair of slippers for use on long flights.
    *Band aids and sterile gauze pads (you can use the Gorilla Tape to make a big emergency bandage, but replace it as soon as possible with real stuff).

*FLASHLIGHTS, either:
    -A good headlamp, like the ones that cavers use, that can be dialed down low to save batteries (Pietzel is good, but Black Diamond models can use AAA batteries, which are easier to find than the button cells, I tend to steer away from Princeton Tec as the batteries drain even when they are not turned on).
    -Or one one of these two: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Executive_Precision_Lighting_Instrument.html, or the Streamlight Stylus PRO. I specify those because they take AAA batteries, which are usually easy to find, and they fit in a pocket. The Brite Strike has a low setting that will save batteries, and also an emergency flasher setting that I've successfully used to stop a charging dog at night, but the Streamlight costs about half as much. I'll keep the Brite Strike or Streamlight in my shirt pocket, but if I'm taking the headlamp that will go in the personal bag.

*A three-ounce bottle of Sea-to-Summit shampoo, because it's the best travel shampoo ever made, and in a pinch you can use it as a body soap or shaving soap. (Sea-to-Summit also makes excellent shaving cream in the same type of super-tough bottle. They also make dry sheet versions of all their products that save weight and space, and don't need to go into your liquids bag.)
    *One disposable razor, because you never know when you'll be stuck in an airport for 72 hours.
    *Either a small PackTowl (REI makes a cheaper product that's virtually identical) or several of those tough blue shop paper towels.
    *Several little packets of disposable anti-bacterial hand wipes.
    *Packets of face wipes (they are different from the above, as the anti-bacterial stuff is not good for the face and eyes, just don't get them mixed up)
    *Kleenex (with my allergies, I take several travel packs along).
    *Toenail clipper kit, to substitute as a multi-tool that I can't bring on the plane anymore.

I assume that most people will keep their passport, credit cards, and destination currency on their persons, and carry their computers, if they're bringing one.

Unless requested, I won't go into my camera packing strategy, as I am a professional photographer/videographer and my needs will be different than most people's. -DA1

daninstl, Newscience and satman40 like this.
  15. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have nothing even remotely so exciting, trust me.

Gargoyle, Newscience and satman40 like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just carry a script pad, we have no problem. Less pills the better..

Long flights I do take a few 10 mg zolpidem tartrate, seems to make the time go faster,

The headphone are provided, but I still bring my own, and the I-pad mini...

I take most of my lenses out of my Case Logic Camera Backpack, and put most of my travel items in there, we use the passports, for local travel also, easier to show TSA.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  17. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well yeah, that's all obvious. I assume the OP meant to enquire about special items.

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You fit all this in a carryon? :eek::D:p

http://www.hulu.com/watch/539034

Gargoyle, satman40 and YULtide like this.
  19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    looks like there are some preppers on this thread :D Meds/Alieve, charger, phone, earbuds.

20. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    It's a TARDIS carryon: bigger on the inside than the outside.

Dublin_rfk, daninstl, estnet and 3 others like this.
  21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    EBags has a 20% off sale, on TUMI, and you can buy via AA Shopping.

7 points.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, then just forget the plane, Dr. Who! :p

YULtide and Gargoyle like this.
  23. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    it seems to me that a cell phone or tablet lets you do a lot - even if not used as a phone it can be used as an emergency light, you can take photos of ff cards, passport (in case of loss), keep screenshots of reservations, etc. eliminating a couple of things that people pack separately.
    Altho I have to admit if I had access to one - for sure I'd choose a tardis!

YULtide, Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  24. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious, I've seen the Doctor on various space ships, ocean going ships, trains, but never an airplane (or is that aeroplane?)

Gargoyle, Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  25. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Carry-on" stuff we are talking about here I assume. How about the kitchen sink. I usually check bags on long flights so I would include the sticker from my check baggage or bag claim ticket.

My carry on usually contains:
    Meds
    contact solution and case
    computer/ipad, etc. plus chargers
    granola bar
    animal crackers in a small baggie (don't ask but I love them)
    extra pair of underwear and socks
    gum
    Noise cancelling headphones (ear bud kind)
    a few vitamin C drops
    a pen
    an empty water bottle I use to fill at the airport after security except for HKG of course :(
    small toothbrush and paste
    business cards
    Also I will take some PJ's and and extra t-shirt if flying international
    Photo copy of all hotels, flights, rental cars, etc. (I keep a copy of passport at times as well. I also keep copies in cloud storage)
    Frequent flyer cards
    wet wipes on long flights at times
    Burts bees lip balm
    This doesn't include my wallet and cell phone of course. Also if on a vacation my DLSR will be with me as well.

Newscience likes this.