The best DFW food choices

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by abk, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Up until today I had been a fan of the D concourse for food choices. Tigins in the early part of the day and Cool River in the evening. Today I was on the A concourse with a little time to kill so I walked the concourse. The new Pappadeaux is about the nicest airport restaurant I have ever seen. It is down stairs in a space that used to house the train system and is a great looking space. I did not eat there but on Saturday I will make every effort to try it. In addition, they have a Pappasito's cantina that looked interesting also and I understand that this group is opening a third venue in the airport. If you have had a chance to eat there let us know how it was.

Scott, aitchly and oklAAhoma like this.
  2. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pappadeaux is wonderful - it's my go-to restaurant for seafood / cajun food (even outside the airport). Pappasito's is good, but certainly wouldn't rank in the top 10 Mexican or even top 10 Tex-Mex restaurants in the Metroplex. If I was in Terminal D, I would choose Blue Mesa instead of hiking over to Terminal A for Pappasito's.

3. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Pappadeaux is a great addition to terminal A and is a great place for a healthy lunch/dinner - or a couple of good cocktails - before your flight.

If Mexican is your thing, I'd skip Pappasitos and go to terminal D for either Cantina Laredo or Blue Mesa (they each have their own unique flavors)

I've become a fan of Urban Taco in terminal C. Great "street taco" type food. Super fast too (it's all to-go).

Cousins BBQ in terminals B and D is one of my favorite local haunts with a DFW location. I grew up around the corner from their original stripmall smokehouse and it's good stuff. When I officed nearby, I used to always grab one of their BBQ-topped loaded baked potatoes to carry back to the office.

If you have lots of time to kill, leave the secure side at terminal D and go eat at the Grand Hyatt. Their lounge has good sushi and appetizers and the restaurant menu is great (if it's breakfast time, I absolutely LOVE their green chile chicken chilaquiles! - they are crave-worthy!)

mbry and Chamonix like this.
  4. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Headed to DFW later today and this thread is not good for my diet.

BBQ topped baked potato?! Urban Taco? Omg, I'm so in. Probably not today, short layover, but on the return.....

5. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely recommend Cantina Laredo in terminal D. Just had dinner there Monday night. Great carnitas in a chipotle wine sauce. Guac was a little bland, though.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sadly as much as I connect through DFW I've never had enough time to stop and eat. All the food looks great when I'm dashing from terminal to terminal to catch a connection. So much Tex Mex. This thread is motivating me to book a long connection sometime in the future.

7. byroncheng
    Original Member

byroncheng Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I went through DFW i sat down straight across from the Red Mango stand in one of the food courts. It was really tough to hold out - I didnt have my GC with $15, and i'm definitely a cheapo. When I discovered my flight was delayed i just had to leave that area - nothing else would prevent me from getting the largest sized cup. Granted, that's not a bad compensation for being late.

8. oklAAhoma
    Original Member

oklAAhoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pappadeaux is indeed a great addition to terminal A. As for Pappasito's, I wouldn't travel from D to A just to eat there, but neither would I leave A to avoid it. Imo it's certainly better Mexican fare than that found in many airports.

DesertRose and gemac like this.
  9. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, just stick to Pappadeaux!

cockpitvisit likes this.
  10. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like Reata Grill in Terminal D; they have a great chicken Caesar for a healthy day and chicken enchiladas otherwise. :)

11. I usually opt for Blue Mesa if I'm eating at DFW.

I think the worst place is East Side Mario's... If my bad pizza experiences memory serves me correctly, the second worst slice of pizza I've ever eaten (after a pizza place in London that microwaves their slices to heat them up!)

12. Ugh. Disgusting fried Southern food.

13. Wrong. H.

gemac likes this.
  14. Thanks for the detailed recommendations by terminals! I fly out of DFW every Friday, but typically don't have enough time to properly explore the eating options. I'll have to write these down for the next time my flight's delayed!

15. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wrong. I ate there tonight and had fresh shrimp cocktail and a wonderful greek salad. Hubby got a pasta dish with grilled shrimp and crawfish in a tomato-based sauce. A lot of their dishes actually trend toward the creole influence rather than the cajun - for example, elaborate sauces over grilled fish. Their fried food selection is the weakest part of their menu. Luckily, it's a very small part.

oklAAhoma, gemac and TuesdayMass like this.
  16. Elaborate sauces = over-sugared/salted American cuisine. The food is fattening.

17. Axey
    Original Member

Axey Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, but that can be said about most american food. [​IMG]

18. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually my favorite is over in D at Rocky Mtn Chocolate. Its a not miss when we transit DFW.

19. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cousins BBQ brisket and Ben & Jerry's ice cream next door. That's our ritual when transiting DFW with the Boss and kid.

gemac likes this.
  20. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just had the king crab roll at Pappadeauxs. It was great. They also have free wifi which is a plus.

Samuel Rhoades and gemac like this.