The best cheesecake in New York- It is still Junior's

Discussion in 'New York Area' started by jbcarioca, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I first tasted Junior's cheesecake in 1966 when I was driving a cab and a fare took me there, eulogizing the cheesecake all the way. The fare, a generous guy, tipped me well, then asked me to park the cab and be his guest for a pice of the cheesecake. I accepted and took him on to JFK afterwards. It was an excellent fare. the big benefit was discovering Junior's.

Years later I was living in Bahrain, making frequent trips to NYC. An Iraqi friend asked me to bring back a Junior's cake, which I did, three of them. Her family, one of the very few jewish families in Bahrain at the time, devoured all three of them in a couple of hours.

Those two memories do not alter my tastebuds. Nobody can equal Junior's. Touristy now, yes. Overrated, no, that cannot really be done.

Now let the attacks, claims and counterclaims begin. I dare anybody who has not lived in New York for at least ten years to sustain an opinion.

Canarsie should also be allowed a view, and Dovster (there is nobody at Junior's interesting to him, I think) may have an opinion. All the New Yorkers have already well defended views I am sure.

2. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never cared for cheesecake.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am just about to confiscate your Brooklyn passport. [​IMG] How can that be?

4. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fell in love with Junior's cheesecake when I moved to NYC in 1989. My cousin took me to the shop in Brooklyn and I was in cheesecake heaven. No other cheesecake tastes quite like it. Few years ago I started looking for other brands, to see if I was missing something. I tried S&S, Two Little Red Hen, Eileen's, but not one of them comes close to Junior's. Their strawberry cheesecake is to die for. I was excited that it opened a branch in Times Square few years ago, with a little outlet for take-out. It is super touristy, but their cheesecake (my favorite is the strawberry one) is super yummy!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still have not tried other locations. Brooklyn means cheesecake for me, obviously Juniors

theskyflyer likes this.
  6. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also do not have that thick Brooklyn accent.

Bizarrely, I have had a number of people guess that I am originally from the mid-western United States. At least one person thought I was from Iowa, even though at that time I had never been to Iowa.

Iowa?!?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last week two people agreed that I was French. Stimpy, were he to hear me speaking French, would howl with laughter at that one. I have also had numerous people think I was from Northern Europe. They are all inferring that based on the way I speak Portuguese, not my native tongue.

IME that 'thick Brooklyn accent' seems to be associated with lack of travel, especially early, and correlated quite highly with lack of higher education. Had you that attribute I would be surprised.

Iowa? That is funny.[​IMG]

8. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made my first visit to NYC on business this past Oct...Spending 2/3's of my life in the Midwest and the rest in Cali, most of my cheesecake experience was either out of a box from the grocery freezer case, or at a chain restaurant that shares the name with the desert. My wife and I received a Junior's cookbook from a friend a number of years ago, but having never been to NYC didn't really know what it was. As a hack cook who enjoys to dabble, I used the cheesecake recipe in the Junior's book a couple times to make decent tasting, but intramuscularly pretty cheesecakes (there at a lot of steps!).

A couple weeks before my trip to NYC, I was watching either the Travel or Food channel and it was a show about a guy settling food "grudges" or something, and he went to both Junior's and Eileens in NYC, and was going to judge who was the best (also did Geno's vs Pats CheeseSTEAK's in Philly). Anyhow Junior's won, in his opinion. I decided that I wanted to try to both and see which was better.

Between a busy week of work stuff and trying to fit in as much touristy crap as I could in the short time I was there, we stumbled across Eileens almost by accident. Had a piece, and while sitting in the small little shop, which was empty, was discussing with my co-worker, the taste, texture, etc. It was just "OK"... I think the words "Dry and Mealy" might have been uttered, the people working there I think heard us and while nothing was said, I think if the looks I was being given by them could kill, I'd be dead and not writing this novel about cheesecake.

We didn't make it to Brooklyn at all unfortunately , but were able to make it to the Junior's at Grand Central the night before we flew home. BY FAR, WITHOUT A DOUBT, NO CLOSE SECOND PLACE best piece of Cheesecake I've ever had the pleasure of putting in my mouth and stomach! I haven't yet shelled out the $40ish to have one sent all the way to Cali at fear of being disappointed, but eventually I will. Either that, or just use as an excuse to take the family back to NYC and hit up the main store as well.

To those that made it to the end of this long reply, I leave you with this!

[​IMG]

jbcarioca and goodandclassy like this.
  9. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Times SQ location / two blocks from home certainly weighs in Junior's favor :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    The picture of that cheesecake is mouthwatering!

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint. Unlike the topic of this thread milepoint is not fattening!

goodandclassy likes this.
  12. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm growing to like this place! I will be participating a lot more often as I like what I see here (besides the cheesecake of course). :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. DCAview
    Original Member

DCAview Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny -- I've had the same experience. Born in Crown Heights, but people seem to think my accent is either vaguely Midwestern or (my favorite) "newscaster."

And that's the way it is.

wiredboy and jbcarioca like this.
  14. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great addition to Times Square area. Perfect place for pre post theater. Good pickles too!

goodandclassy and jbcarioca like this.
  15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. Maybe we can schedule a Cheesecake Do at Grand Central Terminal.

SC Flier, Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Cheesecake Do sounds like a good diea, but it should be in Broklyn at the original site, should it not? 'Curse were it to be at grand Central we could have fush at the Oyster Bar before the cheesecake.:D

17. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    A cheesecake do....that's frightening! A moment on the lips....

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to live on State Street and I wouldn't set foot in Juniors for lifetime top tier status on any airline or hotel!

It's physical space is nasty, the cheese cake is nasty and tastes like chalk. The place seems to consistently have have a ton of health code violations. I don't think I've eaten there in well over a decade!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf3SSHefqGI

Lady M Boutique cheesecake is the best in my book!

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best part is GCT's Junior's is an idine for at least American, likely more. Always nice to pick up a couple dines on the way through.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I strongly suggest you choose someplace else. I wouldn't eat there if they paid me!

21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it doesn't make me sick and I enjoy it I don't care what grade it gets.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please consult with the mice that run freely around the display case.

Landing Gear likes this.
  23. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots of good suggestions. I love NY cheesecake

24. Landing Gear

Landing Gear Active Member

Status Points:
    When you actually live in Brooklyn or any part of New York City, you have a different life experience as opposed to someone who might have been born here and moved or someone who visits here occasionally.

One element of this experience is access to local news reports and word of mouth from your friends, neighbors and co-workers. (The cable channels New York 1 News and News 12 Brooklyn e.g. are not available outside their service areas.) While the following story is a year and a half old, it is one of the reasons why no one I know no longer eats anything at Juniors.

From New York 1: Mouse Photographed In Junior's Cheesecake Display

Just thought this discussion needed a touch of "Brooklyn reality." :)

25. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When are you going to give it a rest? You're snide comments are embarrassing.

SC Flier likes this.