The BEST Assessment of Post 9/11 Security Advances I've ever heard

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Derek, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some time ago, someone on FT posted the best assessment of US air-travel security advances post 9/11 I have ever read. I can't find the post, so if anyone knows/can find the post I am referencing, please let me know so I can give the OP credit.

EDIT/UPDATE: Thanks to MSPeconomist and N965VJ for identifying who to give credit to. The great analysis discussed below is from: Beyond fear: thinking sensibly about security in an uncertain world by Bruce Schneier, 2003.

This is not my analysis at all, but I found it to be so spot on I thought I'd repost it here. The OP's succinct assessment was something along the lines of this:

The only two real advances in our airline security since 2001 are:
    1. armor plated/fortified cabin doors; and
    2. the understanding that people who hijack an airplane may intend to use it as a weapon.

The OP argued (very persuasively) that 9/11, as we know it, would not have occurred if armored doors had been in place (the terrorists only had boxcutters etc) and that the passengers would have attacked/subdued them if it had occurred to them the hijackers were going to crash the plane. They likely assumed the hijackers, as had previously been the norm of hijackers, were simply going to divert the plane and make demands.

Just as persuasively, the OP made the case that all of the other "advances," e.g. "take off your shoes!," "no water!," "no nail clippers!," etc., are anything but advances. The OP stated, and I think most people on this forum probably agree, that these are actually nothing but BS regressions in commonsense/civil liberty, that do nothing other than reassure (and simultaneously terrify) the feeble-minded.

Critic and N965VJ like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I remember reading this. Could the article have been by Bruce Schneier? He's smart and sensible and is generally an acknowledged expert in security, including computer security.

N965VJ likes this.
  3. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct! ;)

Beyond fear: thinking sensibly about security in an uncertain world
    Bruce Schneier, 2003

Derek likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Derek and N965VJ like this.
  5. Derek
    Original Member

Derek Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP updated to give proper attribution, thanks for identifying the original source!

N965VJ likes this.