The Best Airlines for 5 Types of Fliers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/travel/the-best-airlines-for-5-types-of-fliers-1311890717895/

See linked article for best and worst airlines for:
    Getting a cheap flight
    Arriving on time
    Checking a bag
    Flying in comfort
    Redeeming rewards

Cramped seats, pricey fees, hours spent waiting on the tarmac -- there's plenty to gripe about air travel these days. But it could be that you're just flying with the wrong carrier.
    Consumers' ire for airlines has hit record highs in recent years. Airlines are tied with newspapers as the least-liked industry among the 47 tracked by the American Customer Satisfaction Index. The latest rating of 65 on a scale of one to 100 is 1.5 percentage points lower than last year and about 10 lower than when the ratings were first taken in 1994. Complaints have surged, too, from 0.97 for every 100,000 passengers in 2009 to 1.22 last year, according to the annual Airline Quality Report. And things are likely to get even worse as travel picks back up, experts say, because schedule cutbacks in leaner times have left little wiggle room for error. "Every time the system ramps up to serve increased customer demand, service quality deteriorates," says Dean Headley, associate professor of marketing at Wichita State University, which with Purdue University produces the AQR. "Then the complaints come pouring in."

hulagrrl210, JohnDeere19 and Horse like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, given the many complaints about Skymiles, I'm surprised US is ahead of them for the bottom spot on awards.

hulagrrl210, sobore and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love that...keep up that image and keep US selling miles at 50% off! The problem with all these is that they'll just pick random days on their own metal and US is pretty terrible in that regard (minus some great off-peak deals, esp in J). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'll take my LH F on the A380 courtesy of US over skypesos anyday!

sobore, rwoman and milchap like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite all the complaints about DL, I've had pretty good luck getting low mileage tix for domestic itineraries. With the fees ex-LHR, though, it's often not worth it...why pay $450 with a mileage ticket on an itinerary that will earn miles for $600-700...depending on time of year of course!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently DL does have some good redemption options, but I do value to miles far less than say US/CO/UA/AA. That taxes and fees charge is a big thumbs down to me as well.

rwoman likes this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the fees are insane...and the UK is not to blame for all of it. :rolleyes:

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    These articles are often based on statistics that don't take into account FF status or the tricks we learn on MP and FT. I don't put much faith in them.

For example, I find it unreasonable to rank airlines by fees as a percentage of revenue. It would make more sense to rank them depending on why they charge fees and the actual amount. One airline might have really high change fees but would allow free bag check, but I think most leisure travelers would be fine with that. Two airlines might charge the same fees, but one has consistently lower fares. And for elites that have bag fees waived, it's not really an issue.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a US account but recently I've had much better luck getting Star Saver awards with them than anything on United or Continental. I find it shocking that they could be worse than Delta.