The Baksheesh Pays Off

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MLW20, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    After a long day of visiting some amazing sites around Luxor, my wife and I decided to make one last stop before calling it a day.
    We walked over to the Ramesseum, a memorial temple of Pharaoh Ramesses II.
    Unlike most of the other sites we had visited, there weren't many other visitors here. We may have passed a couple of others leaving as we entered the site, but that was about it.
    Soon after entering, a guard asked us if we would like to be shown around. We politely declined and hoped he would leave us alone and let us enjoy the site on our own.

In Egypt it is hard to go anywhere without encountering a local with his hand out. They all want their "baksheesh" or tip. For example- while visiting sites, guards will ask for baksheesh to allow you to take photos in areas where they are supposedly not allowed. Or if we asked for directions, that person would expect their cut as well. Kim and I love to explore and wander on our own when traveling, so you can see how this would become extremely annoying to us
    We started walking around the Rasesseum and took some photos. Of course the guard did not listen to us and began to follow us around. Kim and I kind of laughed it off and proceeded to walk around ignoring the guard until he asked us a questions which got our attention.

He asked us if we liked mummies!

Find out more and check out some pictures HERE

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing Trip! Thanks for posting Mike!!!!

MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I worked in Egypt for six months.....baksheesh is indeed a way of life.

OY-JFS and uggboy like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your introduction threads are getting quite leads and I'm enjoying the content after the jump. Thanks

5. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the main reasons why I haven't returned to Egypt!

6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed!
    I give you credit for staying so long! You must've been sick of the word within a few weeks. lol
    I am definitely glad that you are enjoying my posts! What does this mean though: "Your introduction threads are getting quite leads"
    I wouldn't rush to go back for this reason either. We had a much more positive experience traveling around Jordan on the same trip!

OY-JFS and aptraveler like this.
  7. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great narrative and cool pictures, thanks. I agree at times 'baksheesh' pays off, and in the end, it's a personal contribution to the local economy! :)

MLW20 likes this.
  8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question, I mean the summary here at MilePoint is leading, or attention grabbing, and the post has good follow through.

(I think I criticized a post last year that did not have much of a follow through once I reached your site, so it's important to call out that its a good mix between the mile point leader post and the story..)

MLW20 and OY-JFS like this.
  9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting a migraine from the tourist police yelling in Arabic at the too-pushy vendors was one of the reasons I haven't been back. I loathed Cairo, but Alexandria more than made up for it.

MLW20 and OY-JFS like this.
  10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If one does a good service for you then the baksheesh can pay off but this is rare! lol
    Ahh, gotcha, thanks for the positive feedback!

11. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice report.

MLW20 likes this.