The BA Forum: will it ever be the same?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by VIllage Idiot, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I've been around Flyertalk for a long time, and every forum has its own flavour. But the two British forums (BA, and to a lesser degree, bmi) had a group of regulars and a very distinct culture that made them particularly fun places to be. In fact, although my flying spans a lot of different airlines in both OW and *A, I find that BA & BD are where I spend a vast majority of my time.

It's not that I have many questions about the programmes -- I've been in both of them long enough to know the system pretty much inside-out. No, it's the blend of humour, teasing, long-running jokes, and cast of regular characters that make it the place it is. It simply won't be the same place without the threat of a hairbrush, or for those who've been around a little longer, FISH!

I wonder if we'll see some old (ahem) familiar faces over here. And I wonder if the moderators will let us keep this place with the same friendly banter and occasional off-topic post that made the BA forum on FT so much fun. I hope so, because it would be great to carve out our own little corner of MP.

Genius1 and Traveloguy like this.
  2. Just looked at the main message forum stats. BD has more posts than BA.

The world's turned upside down.

3. Prospero
    Original Member

Prospero Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I have been wondering the exact same thing. I'm sure in time this forum will develop a special character of it's own. As one who is deeply involved in the BA forum over on FlyerTalk, with over a gig of information and data relating to BA and the BAEC stored on my hard drive, I have purposefully held back posting here. This forum is a blank canvass and I while I wish it flourish, its not my wish to influence its shape and form - at least not at the moment.

To be honest, I've been swept away by the general buzz and good sentiment here - I'm enjoying the experience.

David, GoldCircle, Traveloguy and 8 others like this.
  4. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I came late to the FT BA party and have always felt a bit out of that. I too love the sentiment here, and and have high hopes for the future of MilePoint. As a newly minted BA Gold, the confluence of fresh opportunities is poignant.

lin821 and Traveloguy like this.
  5. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    The BA forum has SOLE ! :D

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    And there's no reason why it should FLOUNDER, so long as we don't have FLIERs who CARP on about trivia.

7. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that the dynamics at the moment are probably something to do with the way that FlyerTalk members are joining here: much word of mouth, and following of friends/acquaintances. So if the early joiners tend to be centred on certain airlines or alliances, then they'll bring more members here who are also centred on the same airlines/alliances.

So, for example, the UA/CO board currently has 34 threads already, but AA has only 17 and DL only 12. Similarly, LH/M&M has 35 threads, but BA has 7 and AF/KL has only 2. These are marked disparities.

That might be one reason why the BD board is more active than the BA board here. At the moment, anyway - the future is another story.

Traveloguy and Prospero like this.
  8. totti
    Original Member

totti Silver Member

Status Points:
    It comes at no surprise that the M&M forum has lots of thread and posts because there is one member heavily posting over there.

For now it is difficult to assume in which way this forum will develop. FT has a longstanding history and it is a great place for getting (travel)advice for very good reason. As pointed out by prospero only time will tell...

oliver2002, IMH, TuxTraveller and 3 others like this.
  9. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, come now, we should give all BA loyalists a good HERRING.

Traveloguy and oliver2002 like this.
  10. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hahahaha, very good. On a more serious note I echo Prospero's comments. Milepoint and the BAEC forum here should be allowed to evolve with time, most likely self moderating so that the community shapes the culture and mood in here.

FLIERS and CARPERS always find their way to new ponds to stirr. Not if, when...

Traveloguy, oliver2002, ag51 and 2 others like this.
  11. Shuttle-Bored
    Original Member

Shuttle-Bored Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the "will it ever be the same" question has been asked frequently on FT ever since I joined back in 2003 :D Times change, people change, members join, members leave, members strop off pronouncing that they'll never post again, said members return having forgotten said pronunciation. I don't think any forum will ever be the same as it was when viewed through the rose tinted glasses of the first flush of enthusiasm, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Very much second Prospero and Petrus' thoughts - I hope the MiPo BA board will develop its very own unique sense of identity in times to come.

Petrus, Traveloguy, The Saint and 7 others like this.
  12. Genius1
    Original Member

Genius1 Active Member

Status Points:
    Greeting fellow MilePointers (is that the correct phrase?!). Gosh it feels weird to be a newbie again :D

I hope the BA board here on MP becomes as great as the board on FT, but without the current friction FT is experiencing...

Petrus, Traveloguy, Echo J and 3 others like this.
  13. Raffles
    Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you look back at the BA board of, say, 2 years ago, you'll find a lot of regular posters have disappeared. There were simply too many newbies asking (again) too many inane questions for most of the highly experienced regulars to want to wade through to get to the interesting stuff. These people went, and a new group sprung up and the board now has its own life again. But don't think that the BA board as it is today on FT is the same as it was 2 or 5 years ago, because it isn't.

The issue with MP is that Randy is being explicit about his desire to attract as many newbies (ie people who have never posted in an airline forum at all) as possible, and if he succeeds that will ultimately impact what happens here. It is a shame that Business Traveller magazine now has its own forums, as that means they would never actively publicise this place and thus send over a bunch of knowledgeable newcomers.

David, Traveloguy, oliver2002 and 5 others like this.
  14. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with what you say.

David, Traveloguy and oliver2002 like this.
  15. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Disco Volante Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point Raffles. The BA board was a very useful place when posters with the level of knowledge of Swanhunter, ScottC, and for those with longer memories Merry were posting there. Swanhunter is still there, of course.

I have never really looked at the Business Traveller Forums. I shall go and have a look.

David, Traveloguy, The Saint and 2 others like this.
  16. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    ScottC is still aout but in the tech forum mainly, Merry has long gone along with DWB and his great ex-EU postings from many moons ago

17. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should have included you in the knowledgeable posters CT. But surely you mean dnw?

What was useful was the level of knowledge that comes from week in week out flying, which was a very useful resource for those of us who fly less frequently. I should also mention Raffles, whose brilliant analysis of some of the loyalty programmes must have created many millions of extra miles :)

18. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    will we have a new forum in 12/13 years time? :eek:

oliver2002 likes this.
  19. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is a scary looking smilie.

Echo J, alex0683de and philcape like this.
  20. Shuttle-Bored
    Original Member

Shuttle-Bored Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh dnw and Merry - that's definitely making me think in rose-tinted terms of the BA board!

Traveloguy likes this.
  21. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am definitely looking to continue learning, and contributing on the BA forum here. Already gained so much knowledge from my fellow frequently flyer's, and I believe this site will be a superb resource in short order.

22. really just the same info here as on FT

23. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not just about the info. Unless I am mistaken one of the main concepts with MP is to make it more interactive (e.g. 2010) and perhaps rewarding for those who dedicate themselves to help others.

24. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And why do the newbies keep asking about the same?

The traffic is so high that it is almost impossible to find old stuff, which leads to a lot of noice and the same questions over and over again. The answer is either in a thread long gone impossible to find (because of all the noice), or it is on page 4 after 67-posts about champagne and bacon-rolls in a thread on another subject. (In other words - to much off-topic discussions on FT in my view) Lets hope we don't inherit the same here, and we will see it all over again.

G_G, TuesdayMass and tommy777 like this.
  25. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, the BA fora--the one place it's a good thing to smell of fish.