The Athenaeum London Lets Guests Try Out a Super-Private Heathrow Concierge Service

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by uggboy, Sep 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Athenaeum London Lets Guests Try Out a Super-Private Heathrow Concierge Service:)

[​IMG]

London's Athenaeum just got a leg up on its posh hotel counterparts in the VIP service department. Thanks to an exclusive partnership with Heathrow by Invitation, monied, First and Business Class-flying guests have the chance to try out the airport concierge service—usually only available to groups of six—on an individual basis.

Amenities associated with Heathrow by Invitation include dedicated "secure" drop off and pickup from the airport (an appealing prospect for Heads of State and the like) via limousine; passport and baggage check taken care of upon arrival; the chance to kick back in a private lounge, go through private security check, and pretty much partake of any coddling bonus that involves the word "private." Joe Fatcat shouldn't be expected to mix and mingle with the little people, after all.

Normally, Heathrow by Invite runs for $2,445, but for individuals taking advantage of the Athenaeum offer will pay approximately $666 per head. Um, lucky them? For more on how to get the red carpet treatment if you're planning on a visit to Londontown in the near future, click here. The offer is only available for the first time a passenger tries the service, so for future trips, we hope your loaded posse runs at least six deep.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...ut_a_Super_Private_Heathrow_Concierge_Service

Kalboz and NYBanker like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taking a black cab would be north of $100...AA five star is $125, add in a truly private lounge for three hours, and I can see how this makes sense.

Heathrow is owned by a private equity firm. They invested their capital to set this up, and are hopefully making a profit-for the pension funds that are their investors.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is roughly the calculation I'm tempted to do: if you would otherwise hire a car service or limo, especially through the hotel concierge, to get to and from the airport and you would also benefit from all the other perks of this service, the promotional price might not be so out of line. However, it does seem expensive compared to similar services at SIN and MUC for instance, even without consideration of the puzzling six person minimum policy.

However, this hotel doesn't seem all that special or luxurious--and many people, including me, would not pay more to stay in such a "family friendly" place that seems to encourage guests to bring children--so it's surprising that they're the only place that offers such a service.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just posting hotel press releases can leave mistaken impressions. This service is normally available at a fixed rate for UP TO six people, which I assume is the capacity of the limo (not counting the driver), it's not a minimum number. Here's the regular website:

http://www.heathrowbyinvitation.com/

I guess the special thing here is that the Athanaeum has a per person rate for one time use and it is a considerable discount for a smaller number of people than 6. Note that the rates don't include VAT.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    As wretched as Heathrow is, I can't say many people paying $800 (666+20%) for the privilege of being driven to the plane. I guess a few may, but not many. It is interesting Heathrow has decidede to publicize this service- my guess is they may be evaluating what a Frankfurt style program would really take to implement.

RichardInSF and uggboy like this.