The Ansett Airlines Global Rewards Memorial Thread

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Asia/Australia' started by adl73x, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most people know where they were on September 11, 2001.

Some of us also remember the points, the status, the bookings, and the friends we lost after Ansett Airlines stopped flying on September 15, 2001.

It was barely a year after Ansett sponsored the Sydney 2000 Olympics as the Official Airline (and Qantas sponsored the TV coverage, resulting in Qantas jingles ringing throughout Ansett terminals around the country).

Some of the A320s, and indeed their crew and ground staff, are these days sporting JQ livery.

The rest have faded away to memories.

I have a number of AN teaspoons that were bought at auction years ago. I can do more with them than my Global Rewards points and my Golden Wing status. [​IMG]

What are your memories of AN?

Skypath and upgrd like this.
  2. upgrd

upgrd Active Member

Status Points:
    The AN bag tag that finally broke off my bag late last year. It certainly made identifying my bag easier! Ansett was a great airline, the configurable A320's made upgrading easier and the crews were always great.

3. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was certainly sad to see them go I loved the service on the ground as well as in the air.
    The thing that I remember the most was being stuck with a lot of points [​IMG], I just wish that I had had a chance to use them.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    1. That when they went into receivership, Star Alliance award tickets issued on their ticket stock were ultimately honored. Very important mileage precedent.

2. That one frequent flyer bought a lifetime lounge membership about a week before they went out of business. Successfully disputed the charge on their credit card, though.

3. Lovely lounge in SYD, back when I flew them my international lounge experiences were pretty limited. Connecting in BNE on the way to CNS... Flying their 767 back though. Decent enough food in business.

4. Missing Star intra-OZ flight network...

vbroucek and kiwi like this.
  5. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember lost points painfully accumulated and planned to be used for business class RTW. I was at that time regularly flying HBA-MEL-VIE rtn in whY on Ansett and then Lauda Air. Miss Lauda Air a lot too.

So, I also miss, as gleff does, *A's intra-OZ network. It is particularly painful for us, living in "regions" for example as me, in capital city of Tasmania, Hobart...

6. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember small things, like the plastic serviette and condiment packets that always smelled of poorly sealed pepper.

I remember medium sized things, like the collusion with QF to "enhance" both Global Rewards and Frequent Flyer to be based on miles rather than kilometres. [Quaint that AY still does this]

I remember large things, like being shunned at an SQ lounge in SIN October 2001 as my Diamond AN Global Rewards card was declared as worthless as the Golden Wing guest passes, 400k miles and award etickets.

But mostly I remember how much better QF were when they had competition.:rolleyes:

straitman likes this.
  7. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    by the end the aircraft looked very tired and run down.
    A mate of mine lost about 100k Ansett miles, which was a lot for him and his flying patterns.

8. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. [​IMG]

9. straitman
    Original Member

straitman Silver Member

Status Points:
    .... and some of us lost a whole lot more than that.

I have many friends who worked at Ansett, at various positions, and they were the ones that lost the most.

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    RIP. I flew you on my first trip to Oz.

Rambuster likes this.
  11. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too ! As part of a CRWStar1 ticket.

12. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I remember having booked 2 return J awards on UA SYD-JFK on September 13th.Unfortunately not ticketed by the 15th so we ended up flying QF.
    Mrslatrobes life Golden Wings tag finally disintegrated just a month ago.

13. Skypath

Skypath Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to try out AN before it's demise I live near MHV and it's famous boneyard and would recall seeing the sad sight of AN 767s parked alongside metal from other victims of the downturn.

I also ran into some nostalgia last October on my SFO-LAX flight getting back from the UA Fleet Week DO when I noticed that my seatmate had an AN bag tag still faithfully hanging off his carry-on. :(

adl73x likes this.
  14. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember the frequent flier magazine that happily arrived in the mail. It was a real magazine, and I'd have happily paid money for it at the shops. At the time I was also receiving the Amex Platinum mag, and I thought the Ansett one was easily more interesting and better put together!

Of course, some of us remember Ansett as the 'other' airline (when TAA was rubbish). I always liked Ansett, even if it got a little run down towards the end.

15. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points: