The annoying things tourists do in London

Discussion in 'Europe' started by rwoman, Mar 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Telegraph: The annoying things tourists do in London

One think I love is London in the dead of winter when there is a minimum of tourists... ;)

That said, I appreciate that tourism is a massive boost to the economy!

autolycus likes this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know, much of the list that you agree with applies equally to locals here in Atlanta...
    • Standing still on the left on escalators (there are signs stating, "Stand on right." Oh yeah... most definitely here
    • Stopping dead wherever they find themselves. Usually at train station entrances or in busy shopping centres. Especially when getting off escalators, it seems
    • Entering the tube without waiting for people to get off yup, MARTA, the elevator, etc.

viguera and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Due to panhandling experiences, I avoid MARTA like the plague when I come home... ;)

autolycus likes this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems like it's only bad at certain times of day and in certain areas. I haven't honestly had an issue in a while, but I'm almost entirely riding from Five Points north to North Springs. I think East, West, and South of Five Points are worse.

rwoman likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    ^ Yeah these are all gripes that locals have had with tourists since the beginning of time. :)

You can sum it up in 3 bullet points:

* lack of spatial awareness
    * lack of respect for local customs
    * lack of preparation when visiting places

If you do your research about an upcoming trip and you know where you're going and what the local customs are, chances are that nobody would care about what you do -- as long as you don't get in anybody's way.

:)

autolycus and rwoman like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was heading from the airport to North Springs...was not happy about missing my train because of the panhandler harassing me for money at the escalator while MARTA police just stood around.

autolycus likes this.
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eeek! That's definitely a problem. I certainly haven't had any issues like that. I've only run into the panhandlers who are walking the trains. It's usually easy enough to ignore them or to simply shake your head that you have no money for them, and they move on.