The American Airlines Status Match / Elite Challenge Master Discussion

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Canarsie, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This discussion is designed for those who are looking for a status match from the frequent flier loyalty programs of which they are currently members to the American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program.

toddreg likes this.
  2. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This seems destined to be a short discussion. AA doesn't have a status match program as generally understood. It has "challenges", but those don't require you to have status anywhere else.

TrojanIce likes this.
  3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA has always had status match for large corporate accounts, but not for individuals. Recent reports are that this may be changing. It is certainly worth asking for a status match if you have significant status on another airline.

4. Do we have a thread started yet regarding the challenge process?

5. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not yet.

dayone likes this.
  6. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly a good reason why this thread is needed.

There is no question in my mind that in the future, some milepoint.com members will search for status match information in the American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program, and when they do, they will find this discussion. Those people would more likely be those who know little to nothing about the American Airlines AAdvantage frequent flier loyalty program...

...plus, when a challenge discussion is launched, a link to that discussion can be provided in this discussion.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked that "Elite Challenge" be added to the thread title.

8. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It appears your wish has been granted. [​IMG]

9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on experience, I believe we can say that with metaphysical certainty. [​IMG]

HNL likes this.
  10. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm good for about one good idea a week.

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  11. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the process of AA's EXP challenge, but i've lost the bloody number they gave me to call if i had questions, I was just wondering if I'd get eVIPs after successfully completing the challenge.

12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Anyone knows? When does AA award their eVIPs? When you qualify/requalify or in February/January?

13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For normal qualification you get them within a few days of qualifying/requalifying each year. The earlier you qualify/requalify the longer period of use you'll get from them. I requalified in May one year and those systemwides were good for 22 months.

I don't know anyone who has done an EXP challenge to know what rules come into play there about awarding of systemwides. We've only seen discussion about that topic for a few weeks. It's probably going to take someone that completes an EXP challenge to come along and tell us if they get systemwides upon completion or not.

14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the system sends them out right after you complete the challenge

15. TheIceTrojan
    Original Member

TheIceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this new? Never heard of the EXP challenge before - would you provide some background?

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is definitely new. There have been a few reports of EXP challenges. No reports of anybody completing one yet.

17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd also wonder how long status from an EXP challenge is good. While my renewal this year would carry me through February, 2013, will an EXP challenge do the same thing or will you need to fly 100K this year to carry you into 2013? Don't know the answer myself. That may very well determine if you get systemwides or not. One thread I saw somewhere else indicated an EXP challenge would only take you through February, 2012, but there's pretty sparse public information about those to know if that is accurate or not.

18. CO FF

CO FF Active Member

Status Points:
    AA has a standard email that they send to people doing GLD & PLT challenges. Could one of you on the EXP challenge please post the text of the "EXP challenge" email, so we can see how it's the same/different?

thx.

gemac likes this.
  19. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see no reason why EXP would be different from Gold or Plat - if you do it in the first half of 2011, it expires March first, 2012, and I would think the SWUs would also. If you do it in the second half of 2011, it expires March first, 2013, and your SWUs would also, as you probably wouldn't earn any more until late 2012.

20. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're about up to October 17, 1980. [​IMG]

savydog and oklAAhoma like this.
  21. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok, Just got a call from AA's status match office, and here's the info they've provided me over the phone (they said they can't send out emails) status match to EXP is free, I send in info for my 1K status, i'm not sure what else they take. The challenge is 25,000 POINTS, you can choose when to start the three month period, and the status only lasts till Feb next year, so you do have to re-qualify by the end of this year if you want the status to last till 2013. And here the best part: you get 8 eVIPs after completing the challenge, that just makes it so much more worth while!

If anyone wants to know how to apply for the status match, there's a giant thread on FT, but I simply called the normal AAdvantage service line, asked about the status match, the agent took down my email and I got an email a few minutes later asking me to attach the documents and provide a phone number, after a few days, an agent from a speciall status match department (apparently there only four people there) called me and told me about all the details, they also gave me a direct phone number, I don't think its a good idea to post it, but if anyone wants it, send me a PM.

alohastephen, gemac and tom911 like this.
  22. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does sound like you get the best of both worlds there. Did they mention (and you may not have thought of asking) when those systemwides expire? Generally, if you received them this year, they'd be good through February, 2013, but did they place any special restrictions on them with a challenge, such as an earlier expiration date?

23. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wouldn't really be fair to those who did the challenge in the second half of the year as they would have still to hit the EXP requirements at the end of the year in order for the status to last until Feb 2013. I think it would be more like th Gold/Plat challenge where anything after the 15th of June would be good for valid the following year.

24. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry, didn't ask, but i'd imagine they're not going to make a special expiration date.

25. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    How is that unfair, if the people who do the challenge in the second half gets an extra wouldn't it be unfair for the ones who did it in the beginning of the year. Besides, this EXP matching thing might not even last that long.