The Airline Rules Every Traveler Needs to Know

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/09/important-airline-flight-ticket-rules-regulations

I come across a lot of blog posts from angry travelers who have had bad experiences dealing with airlines. There was one last week that grabbed me because it was a rare example where I couldn't find one thing that the airline, Spirit, did wrong. The post has since been removed, but effectively what happened was the the traveler arrived at the ticket counter 15 minutes before her flight, so she wasn't allowed to fly. Spirit put her on the next flight later that day, but it was too late for her. She went to another airline to fly down but never told Spirit. When it was time to come home, Spirit had canceled her reservation because she hadn't shown up for the first flight down.

To me, this makes perfect sense, and I'd say Spirit even went above and beyond by confirming her on a later flight. But I also know airline rules a lot better than your regular traveler and that is what the problem was here. What seems obvious to me isn't obvious to everyone. Stepping back, it seems to me that there are some good lessons here on how the airlines work and how you can avoid ending up in a similar predicament.

Read More: http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/09/important-airline-flight-ticket-rules-regulations

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    good info and I have to agree with you regarding Spirit.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with who? The person who actually wrote the story or the person who posted an excerpt here without putting it in quote tags so it was obvious that it was someone else's work?? ;)

LETTERBOY and Quasiconvexity like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    both

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    But one of them didn't actually state anything. :confused:

6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    one stated and one brought it to my attention, so I am content giving them both credit

7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Infrequent travelers would do well to read this article, but I'd be surprised if a great number of them actually did.

Paolo Scuri likes this.