The Aeroplan Star Challenge

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by SensFan, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroplan has a promotion on until May 28 where you can earn 16,500 points for doing different kinds of transactions (http://www1.aeroplan.com/aeroplanstarchallenge.do?icid=WEBUP2921).

And now, thanks to RFD, there is a way to get the full bonus for about $1. This one might be considered unsportsmanlike but Aeroplan reps are encouraging people to do $3 pump runs at Esso so who knows...

Signing up an online profile at Essoextra.com gets you 200 Esso Extra points.

Then transfer the points on points.com to Aeroplan.

Since you only need 120 Esso Extra points to perform 24 x 5 Esso Reward Points to 1 Aeroplan point conversions...this may be the closest to a "no purchase necessary" option to get 16500 Aeroplan points. You still have to make a least 1 transaction (which I assume to be just $1 for 1 Esso Reward point) to activate your new Esso Extra points card and get the 200 welcome points.

2. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although that may be deemed against the rules as detrimental to the program or their partners, a stop on the way home everyday at Sobeys, Rexall and Esso has me well on my way to the 16,500 bonus miles. And if some of your grocery purchases are Nestle Ice Creams, or Haagen-Dazs bars, you get the stars for redeeming those items as well.

As an aside, my wife noticed a 500 mile bonus for $50 in cosmetics purchases over the weekend at Rexall, that is a nice little bonus indeed, and put her over the 60K Aeroplan Miles mark. Very little of that is from flying... mostly Sobeys and Rexall.

TravelMusing likes this.
  3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    There a lots of people (at least on the other board) who are doing the $3 purchase @ Esso to get the 2 stars at least 5 times per day. I think those $3 transactions might raise suspicion. I'm doing multiple purchase @ Esso daily (hurray of a 3 car family), but each transaction is at least $15. I will reach the 70 stars + needed, but not a quickly as everyone. Slow and sure is the way to go.

TravelMusing likes this.
  4. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    The other thing I noticed is that Sobeys purchases get posted to Aeroplan as regular miles, and bonus miles for the in-store bonus items... I am curious as to whether each of those counts as separate two star transactions... awaiting the email from Aeroplan that is supposed to be sent out half-way to do a count-back and see where I am at! Wish there was a way to check the number of stars online.

TravelMusing likes this.
  5. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been tracking mine on a spreadsheet and then checking on the Aeroplan site daily. I am also planning on exceeding the 70+ stars, just to be safe. I'm at 50+ stars, and still 2 weeks to go!

TravelMusing likes this.
  6. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    daily spreadsheet update here too... It would just be nice to know if they are counting the two sobeys posts as separate stars, or a single transaction.

TravelMusing likes this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have 40 stars from my flights alone ... would have been 55 if they counted AP redemptions. ;)

But I guess I'll have to get off my butt and score another 30 stars yet.

TravelMusing likes this.
  8. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the T&C it would count as one transaction.

Bonus transactions, where members earn both base miles & bonus miles from the same activity, are not qualifying transactions.​

This promotion was not very well thought out. An Aeroplan rep said at the beginning of the promo that $3 Esso fillups would count so I can't really see them claiming that the Points.com transactions would be unsportsmanlike but who knows...

TravelMusing likes this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:

Yes, converting 6 AA or US miles to 1 AE mile through individual transactions (24x3=72 Stars) is certainly the cheapest way of hitting 70 Stars. Even if one bought the AA or US miles at 3¢ per, the total cost would be under $5 (24x6=144x3¢=$4.32)! Not bad for 16,524 AE miles...

Very poorly thought out, but if they are accepting the $3 Esso fill-ups, who's to say they won't have to honour the 6:1 points.com transfers.

TravelMusing likes this.
  10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Came to know about it today and I live in US. Any way I can still get the full bonus?

TravelMusing likes this.
  11. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I will have 70 stars by the end of next week....all it took was a few extra stops @ Sobey and Esso.

Gargoyle, TravelMusing and YULtide like this.
  12. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    points.com is a 3 star transfer partner. You could do a lot of transfers, on some other forums its all people have done in order to obtain 70 stars. However some of the smaller transactions (like Esso points) have had the minimum transfer amounts increased.

You can still find some small transfer limits on US based point programs that you likely belong too. (or about 24 transactions)

You can also use the Estore at aeroplan.com -- online purchased through that, like Ebay etc. count as 2 stars.

And many partner airlines if credited to Aeroplan would count as 5 stars.

Quite doable for someone in the US.

TravelMusing and YULtide like this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ts &Cs state "The Promotion is open to all Aeroplan Members residing in Canada."

Sorry, you're out of luck on this one.

TravelMusing likes this.
  14. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bad. Didn't read that far down into the small print.

15. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info...glad I didn't time on this

TravelMusing likes this.
  16. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got an e-mail from Aeroplan telling me that I've collected 70 stars. 16.5K miles with minimal effort

17. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the same email. And I only did 24 points.com transactions, 5 us miles to 1 aeroplan miles.

TravelMusing likes this.
  18. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heading out to Esso with my daughter for her last 4 stars... In the spirit of the promotion we have done this with Sobey's, Esso and Rexall transactions. As all the items we purchased were things we needed anyways, it wasn't such a big deal! Thought briefly about doing the points.com transactions, but I would rather Aeroplan run a promotion like this again in the future, and didn't want to try an beat the system.

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Need to do a couple of more stops at Esso yet. But 40 stars for flights and another 6 for two Hilton stays got me most of the way there already.

20. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised how few people seem to be making either 35 or 70 stars. According to the website, only 26,000 have made 30 stars and just over 5,000 have made 70 to date. With only two days left in the promotion, that doesn't seem like many to me. Wikipedia says Aeroplan has some 4.5 million members.

TravelMusing and tomh009 like this.
  21. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:

Maybe there aren't that many Aeroplan point junkies after all. :cool:

TravelMusing likes this.
  22. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    On redflagdeals they were promoting heavily converting Esso Points to Aeroplan in order to get your 70 stars. Enough that the minimum redemption for Esso to Aeroplan was moved to 3,500 points.

I did a few points.com transfers in order to make sure I passed 70 in case some of my eStore or others don't post.

I would be surprised that with the next promotion Aeroplan puts some form of limits to prevent people from getting all their stars from 1 partner.

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    35 stars for flights and 27 points for Hilton/Esso so far, for a total of 62. Another AC segment yet to post, plus a Hilton stay, top get to 70. And did two more purchases at Esso today, just in case ...

24. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got my 70 star email this morning! Thank goodness Aeroplan chose the same month that I did a crapton of flying ... a nice unexpected bonus!!

No Esso or Sobeys or point transfers for me, I did it the painful way:

SFO-LAX-JFK-SFO 3x5 = 15
    SFO-JFK-SFO x2 (2x5)x2 = 20
    SFO-YVR-YYZ-YUL-PUJ 4x5 = 20
    PUJ-CLT-SFO 2x5 = 10
    Random nestle chocolate bar + Random Haagen Dazs = 4?
    Primus phone service = 2
    Total: 71

Planned the SFO-JFK mileage runs months ago, so I would have had a painful bum anyway ... but the 16,500 bonus miles definitely gave me a more "worth it" feeling ;)

Gargoyle, TravelMusing and YULtide like this.
  25. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my e-mail today. 70 stars. Got halfway with 1 trip YEG-YUL-BRU-BJM / BJM-BRU-LHR-YEG plus an Aerogold card.

Now, when will they post the points?

TravelMusing, tomh009 and maradori like this.