The absolutely worst US Dividend Miles valuation ever (Points.com->PayPal)

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Wandering Aramean, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I challenge anyone to find a worse value than the new one from Points.com and PayPal. Yes, you get cash in exchange for your points. But the ratio is simply awful.

Redeeming for a $100 PayPal credit costs more than 120,000 points. It was so high I thought it was a typo.
    Simply unconscionable:

[​IMG]

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...worst-points-redemption-option-ive-ever-seen/
    http://blog.points.com/2011/02/09/points-com-paypal-introduce-a-new-way-to-use-your-miles/
    https://www.thepaypalblog.com/2011/02/paypal-teams-with-points-com-to-turn-airline-miles-into-cash/

jswong likes this.
  2. I think I'd rather sell a kidney if I was that desperate for cash.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  3. ariyo15
    Original Member

ariyo15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A kidney!? Now that's a great deal! I'll give you 150k DM for your kidney, then black-market the kidney for a few grand, then flip that cash into either (a) an awesome MR or vacation or (b) a mileage-buying opportunity if US ever offers anything like they did last year, and voila! I just turned my original 150k DM into a full year (or more) of *A travel in F! HAHA

tahewett likes this.
  4. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    now if only I could buy 120K for 100 USD, I would not have to worry about travel cost anymore!!!

5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    At that purchase rate, I would become a US elite just to earn such valuable miles

6. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew it would be bad but didn't think it would be THAT bad! [​IMG]

Let's see now.................$100 or J class ticket to Europe or USA from BNE................[​IMG]

7. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    120K would get 2 off peak business class tickets USA-Europe on US metal. Depending on which TATL aircraft one is on, it can be a very nice ride.

8. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    now the question and i hope the answer is no: will anyone actually take advantage of this wonderful offer? of course I am sure anyone frequenting the FF online forums will not, but are Mom & Pop kettle dumb enough to get cash this way? I would be really curious to see the statistics of usage on those offers. If you're that desperate for cash sell your miles to friends or to me... [​IMG]

and finally to the smart ass young college graduate or intern that actually thought of this you deserve the nobel prize of stupidity!

9. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But if they actually get someone to bite on it, are they really that stupid?!

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    C"mon...the guy or gal developed a way to decrease corporate liability while making the consumer think they got a good deal. The airlines have whole departments dedicated to this sort of thing. While certainly not a job that I'm inclined to take, it is something that the airlines are constanly looking at and paying people good money to develop: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...1/the-worst-travel-industry-job-in-the-world/.

11. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    They won't need many takers to make this worth their while!

Jeff

12. Not really too surprised; points.com has some horrorific exchange rates, and a lot of programs only allow transfer-in, not out, or max/min on how much can go in.

Sitll, $100 for 120k miles. I sure which I could BUY 120k miles for $100 :)

DeacFlyer1 likes this.