The 747 that time forgot? And the A332?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by bakedpatato, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm looking at DL283, LAX-NRT in May(just for the heck of it kinda) and its operated by a 747 with overhead movies and sleeper seats in J.:eek: What gives? I thought all the 747s are PMNW metal that have WBC up front and AVOD in all classes?
    Also, how is the WBC equipped A332 vs KE's Prestige Plus? I'm taking NRT-LAX in August and to be honest I don't like bibimbab plus I want to squeeze in a NRT-HNL-LAX;)
    Finally, on the note of HNL-LAX, I see there's one 763 that has "AVOD"? How's that in comparison to HA or AS?

savydog likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 330s are new and spiffy with angled lie flats in BE and good AVOD, not the tiny screens like on the horrid 767s.

The 747s do not have AVOD in coach unless this is a recent enhancement. They do in BE and again it's a good system with a nice screen, although not nearly as nice as in BE on the 777-LR. Again, the BE seats are angled lie flats.

However, there was a NW 747 that was used as a reserve aircraft for a while that hadn't been updated so that it seemed like a time warp. It had a circular staircase with a tacky modern chandelier that might have been fashionable in about 1965. Overhead bins were tiny. I have a strange fondness for this airplane because it saved me a number of times when there were problems.....(stories later maybe)

Other vintage 747s from NW had the old IFC seats in part of WBC that was restricted to only elites. On the 747-200, the upper deck had just 12 FC seats (3 rows of 2-2) and it was my favorite aircraft for a long time. I always aimed for the right window seat in the bulkhead row. The old 747-400s with IFC in the nose had lie flat seats in the middle section of the last row, IIRC 5E and 5F; you could recline all the way to a wonderful soft and wide completely flat surface. These birds were used TPAC in the days when the Japanese translator FA changed into a kimono to serve tea and Japanese meals (and tidy the FC toilets).

3. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe UA still has some and on the SYD-LAX or SFO route occasionally, especially in Y.

savydog and bakedpatato like this.
  4. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    KE prestige plus is loads better than NW 332 WBC/ What I find suprising is how much better KE's Western food is over their Korean food. KE AVOD also has a wider variety of programming than available on DL A330's.

I've found some of the NW WBC seats to be hard in addition to DL's lax service and mediocre catering. I'd say LH has a better C seat than the NW WBC seat. I'd say definitely make it KE for NRT-LAX.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH doesn't fly TPAC from the US to Asia nonstop. If you mean UA, they do 2-4-2 seating in business class on some aircraft, which would be a deal breaker for me.

Similarly, AFAIK KE has some planes configured as 2-3-2 in business class, which I hate, even though I realize that SQ has this on the main deck of their 747s.

The slanted flat WBC seats were hard when NW first installed them, but later 747 aircraft to be reconfigured received better (i.e., softer) versions of the seat and even the early ones got much softer as they were used.

bakedpatato likes this.
  6. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet even the small screen of the 763 beats the pants off of Digiplayers...however,hmm....I really want to avoid HA's A332 service to LAS or LAX as they're poorly priced(both in cash and in miles) and they're also poorly timed for me....
    Grrr angled lie flat. :mad: Then again ever since my recliner seat HNL-ICN....
    Hmm so our sleeper seat 747 is probably this reserve a/c eh? STORIES?! Oooh stories!

This was also around the time when dinos roamed the earth correct?(wow kimono service? sounds quite elegant!) :D:D:p

I don't know what UA was thinking by making a 2-4-2 cabin for the lower deck of the 747....yes its staggered but when I fly J I expect to have at the most one seatmate and not to be stuffed into a sardine can. Then again the new United is promising many things...:p

And yes KE/AF have 2-3-2 in J :mad::mad::mad::mad: which I do not like either(not to mention the AF seat is very hard and the angle prevents sleep for me)...which is why I wouldn't mind trying out WBC NRT-HNL as NW was kind enough to make their J 2-2-2.

I've seen that guy before at SFO...nice to see a 747 in Battleship grey. Not nice for that 1k or GS that wanted a lie flat J seat.

(Perhaps you meant NH for ANA?)
    From the 8 or so pics i've seen of KE's korean food...it looks very very very underwhelming ie something that I would not pay for at a korean restaurant.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the angled lie flat WBC seats in BE on the PMNW planes, some people find them more comfortable to use as an extreme cradle seat. Power yourself into full lie flat an an angle and then ever so slightly adjust back into an almost 180 degree cradle, either by using the cradle recline button or (for control freaks) the individual buttons for different degrees of freedom until you find a position that suits you. Alternatively, pull out and extend the foot rest, use the seatbelt, and wear non-slide clothes to help keep yourself from gradually slipping down in the angled flat bed.

The special fully recline seats were in all to the 747-400s AFAIK until they were replaced by the angled lie-flat WBC seats, thus making all WBC/BE seats the same with no more former IFC seats for the distinguished elites who knew to reserve them.

The Japanese hostess service was fun to watch. Lots of bowing occurred and the tea was indeed served properly. I still find that most of the TPAC Asian FAs (PMNW) take the initiative frequently to tidy the BE lavatories every chance they get--i.e., whenever they notice that the lav is empty and no one is waiting. It reminds me of flying SQ.

DYKWIA and bakedpatato like this.
  8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think he was just comparing seats, not routes, by saying that even the LH C seat (which receives some criticism for lack of comfort) is better, in his opinion, than the old NW WBC seats.

The UA aircraft that have a 2-4-2 config in C are the 777s with the old recliner-style seats or the lower deck of the 747s. On the 747s, I'd highly recommend the upper deck in C, which is 2-2. Nice and quiet up there.

But re: 2-4-2 in C, does it really matter as long as you're not in the middle section? I wouldn't want to be stuck there, either, but if other seats are available, moot point, right?

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the plane is full, there's always a risk that you'll get stuck in a bad seat and my impression from the way upgrades work is that UA tends to fill their TPAC/TATL business class cabins. Moreover, I've heard stories of GSs and even 1Ks on UA booting others out of good seats. I don't know whether this is semi-official policy or individual GAs trying to be nice to those whom they perceive as high value customers, but I would consider it shenanigans either way.

gobluetwo and bakedpatato like this.
  10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I need a break...all those acronyms and I understood the entire post...

11. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    hehe I totally get ya :DI'm a programmer by trade so I am probably even more acronym heavy than the average MPer ;)
    Took me forever to figure out what PM(UA/CO/NW/DL) meant...by context I eventually realized it meant pre merger :p

Hmm nice to know!
    DL removed IFC in the early 00s right?
    Nice. And you're on the hook for a story MSPe ;)

savydog likes this.
  12. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which is why I've never heard of any TRs from the lower deck of the new UA Business Class involving the middle seat. People on FT or MP or even a.net are smart enough to avoid the middle seat.
    I think what we're getting at that its almost abhorrent that UA even has a 2-4-2 config for their J cabin...yes, you should be able to avoid the middle seats(leaving the kettles to suffer) but still ;)Even 2-3-2 is pushing it espcially if its not staggered a la KE/AF

savydog and gobluetwo like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite sure what you mean. UA has 20-something 747s and they are all upgraded with business/first class. And SYD-LAX/SFO are always operated with 747 aircraft.

On the newly configured 777 as well.

But I tell you what -- if my upgrade clears because they have a higher density of C seats, I am okay with the "dorm style" seating :)

Like I said above, all UA 747 have the new first and business class cabins with lie flat seats. Same for the 767s. The 777 fleet is in the midst of reconfiguration; just last week had my first trip on a newly configured one, but the majority is still old.

savydog likes this.
  14. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    See below.

Absolutely true, C>E+ or E-...That said,I would be mad if I paid for C and got stuck in the middle. :p
    Recently, UA brought one 747 out of VCV that was battleship grey and had recliners,it was mostly spotted in SFO....I think it's been withdrawn from service but I did see it during this summer.

savydog likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even with the old recliners they had a 2-3-2 configuration.

Yes, that was last year, but it's gone.

savydog likes this.
  16. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as UA, they were thinking a similar layout as BA in the 2-4-2 regards. They're hoping full flat seats sell better than angled lie flat seats and recliners.

N194 UA was brought out this summer for SFO-ORD, hence it was spotted at SFO alot.

I did mean LH in more of a general comparison between all carriers, not specifically St or TPAC, as many here and on FT complain about LH having a bad angled-lie flat; harder and too steep, and I was describing LH having a superior seat to NW. NH also has an angled lie flat, theirs is much better than NW as well.

bakedpatato likes this.
  17. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess it does...BA Club World isn't too bad either on that note although, again, no reports on the middle seat :p
    Yup!
    Hmm...nice to know. NH is also on my "want to fly list".

18. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I guess for the final stage of my question, DL 763 ETOPS vs AS 738 vs HA 767;Your opinion of the hard product?

19. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're talking about good old ships 6623 and 6624.Boeing 747-251B's that flew until Thanksgiving 2009.

After the last 742's were removed from scheduled service, NW decided to keep these two MSP-based primarily for military charters. But when they weren't out flying our troops around, NW would use these whales to back-fill for irregular ops. I saw 6623 in SEA in '09 running twice daily to MSP due to weather cancellations. A 742 was also used to PHL in '08/'09 to dig out from a monster storm.

Delta sold these (2) planes to Kalitta Air, which in turn recently sold one to this up-start Baltic Air. I believe the other 742 will be stripped for parts for Kalitta's freighter operations.

bakedpatato and DeltaExpert like this.