The 69¢ cup of ranch dressing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rich, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it's ridiculous, but I'm annoyed. I ordered a salad tonight and there just wasn't anywhere near enough dressing (lite ranch). I asked the waitress for some more and within 60 seconds I had more....along with an updated receipt charging me 69¢ for the dressing.

Now, I make a good living and I don't really look at prices in restaurants when deciding on which entree to order or which beer to drink, etc. but this annoyed me. How hard would it be to say, "I'll need to charge you 69¢ for that."?

Is it completely wrong to sit then and contemplate cutting the tip by a dollar to compensate for this?

Anyway, I felt the Off Topic forum needed a ridiculous thread, so here it is.

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think any worldly traveler that thinks Ranch is a flavo(u)r that should be a dressing is "completely wrong." :D Of course, I don't know you, and don't know if you are worldly ;) I think "sitting and contemplating" is a waste of mental resources. I think replying to your post is even a larger waste of mental resources :D

3. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was their only low-fat choice. Ranch is something to dip chicken wings in, not put on a salad, I agree.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are confusing ranch with blue cheese. Silly you! Ranch should taste like dirt or livestock excrement. What else would a ranch taste like? Try and explain to non-native American speakers.

Rant over. BTW, I hope the waitress lost her $1.

5. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't like chunky dressings as dips. I hope I didn't blaspheme.

I did get some nice blue cheese at Costco to eat during the Super Bowl, though.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  6. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that the naming of "ranch dressing" has to do with the buttermilk content of the original formulation,

I also would have adjusted the tip downward - IMO wait staff needs to communicate anything that adds to what the customer expects to pay when the initial order was taken.

bbbb likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "Just Add Bleach"

In 1954, Steve and Gayle Henson opened Hidden Valley Ranch, a dude ranch near Santa Barbara, California. They served guests a dressing that Steve had developed in Alaska. The dressing was popular, and they began selling bottles that guests could take home, and later opened a factory to sell packets of ranch seasoning that had to be mixed with mayonnaise and buttermilk (packets that are still available to this day). In 1972 the brand was bought by Clorox for $8 million.[1]
    Clorox reformulated the dressing several times to try to make it more convenient. The first change was to include buttermilk flavoring in the seasoning so that at home one added milk rather than buttermilk.[1] In 1983, Clorox developed a more popular non-refrigerated bottled formulation. Currently, Clorox subsidiary Hidden Valley Ranch Manufacturing LLC produces ranch packets and bottled dressings at two large factories, in Reno, Nevada and Wheeling, Illinois.[2]

MissBurrill likes this.
  8. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    The worst part about your story is that she actually UPDATED your check! For 69 cents! Yes, update the check if you order another beer, but when you ask for some additional salad dressing for your salad? That's lame.

9. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's always the remote chance that the waitress was acting on her own, but I think the real blame goes with the restaurant's management and/or ownership (who seem to be going to extremes to increase revenue).

I'm wondering if the restaurant the OP ate at was one that primarily serves travelers and other transient customers. I can't imagine that a restaurant that depends on local, repeat patronage would try to pull off this kind of gouging.

Grace likes this.
  10. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ranch makes anything gross (like iceberg lettuce, dry chicken particles, or overly fried items) taste better.

Grace and Chamonix like this.
  11. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Real ranch dressing is awesome and keeps the buttermilk industry humming along. FWIW, the hippy grocery store by my house now packages salad dressing separately from salads and charges 75 cents for a tiny container.

12. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree... we get a lot of that down here in Texas including variations on it (jalepeno ranch or cilantro ranch are popular). It's easy to tell the difference because of consistency.

skofarrell and Chamonix like this.
  13. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 local places are notorious for this and both are parts of big chains -- Buffalo Wild Wings and Hooters.

I happened to be at Hooters, so I wasn't really surprised, but dismayed. I'm well aware that they do this nonsense when you order wings, but I ordered a salad and the dressing they provided wasn't anywhere near enough.

(BTW, I was mainly at Hooters because they serve food until midnight. I'm not one who goes to Hooters just to look at breasts and then tips servers because they wear tight outfits. I'm not saying that this isn't a side benefit, but had I been in the mood for sweet potato fries I would've been at TGI Friday's.)

cockpitvisit likes this.
  14. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything for revenue. Are these places learning from the airline industry?

cockpitvisit likes this.
  15. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet potato fries vs. boobs. Tough choice.

DLNYC and Chamonix like this.
  16. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can only eat one of them without going to jail.

cockpitvisit and Chamonix like this.
  17. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh yes, I can't stand that about Buffalo Wild Wings - they nickel and dime you for everything. Fun for trivia though.

18. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Techgirl, I've been on a strict diet since Jan 1, and now all I think of is whether or not I can find some of those when I'm in DFW next week. Doh. I do agree that ranch is best on crappy fried stuff too, which is also not on my diet!

19. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Your story is not credible. Any true hippy grocery store would make you bring your own container and fill it from the bulk dressing bin. [​IMG]

techgirl likes this.
  20. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much did they charge you for that 69 cent cup of ranch? That is what I wanna know!

21. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this a version of the Moron Test?

cockpitvisit likes this.
  22. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here it would be 69c+3c tax except from the supermarket,
    where tax I believe isn't charged on food not meant to be
    eaten on premises.

23. Rich
    Original Member

Rich Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my case it was about -29¢ after tax, cause I cut the tip by $1. It wouldn't be obvious I cut my tip because it was still 15% or so, but I was going to give a dollar more.

Give me the choice to pay or not pay by telling me it's going to be added to the bill. Seriously, a 2oz cup half-filled is enough for a salad?

cockpitvisit likes this.
  24. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I avoid places that nickel and dime you on things that should come with your meal. I would have no problem docking her tip on this.

I would also put the place on my list of restaurants not to return to.

25. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would you dock a tip if the charge was restaurant policy?

A discussion with the manager may be more appropriate - you may even get the charge removed.