The 5 most dreaded words in hotel bookings

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by slalom, Sep 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Rate changes over duration of stay"

I just looked at one booking for a Courtyard in Boston that started with a rate of US$209 but went to over US$600 for the final two nights of a 5 night stay!

It seems that Hilton and Starwood are quoting a flat, average rate.

In any event, on a recent 7 night Marriott stay I had 5 different rates - makes it hell for expense reporting through Concur!

2. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another example, from a different property. This one has another two dreaded words: "Prepayment Required"

Hotel Rates279.00 USD STARTING 20SEP FOR 1 NIGHT
    479.00 USD STARTING 21SEP FOR 1 NIGHT
    539.00 USD STARTING 22SEP FOR 2 NIGHTS

B1BomberVB, uggboy and flyforawg like this.
  3. scubacat3

scubacat3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hilton does that sometimes too. It just depends on the property, the rate, etc. On one hand, it can be annoying as you mentioned, but it also allows for discounted weekends in mostly business areas. For instance, when I visit Atlanta, it'll often be around $109/night during the week but just $59/night on the weekend. Without that option, it'd probably be $109 for every night.

B1BomberVB and uggboy like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starwood shows the same rate for all nights and apparently cannot put more than one rate on a single reservation. When the one night rates are different, spg.com tends to take the average or worse of the separate rates, so that you can sometimes save money by booking separate reservations, assume that there's no minimum stay requirement.

5. jcsjcs

jcsjcs Active Member

Status Points:
    IHG has a better solution (never though I'd say anything positive about IHG). They show the average nightly rate for your stay. You can then look at the breakdown if you want to know how much each night is. That way it's much easier to compare.

Dublin_rfk and B1BomberVB like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the five worst were "you room is not ready."

B1BomberVB likes this.
  7. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    .......how about "I apologize, we are oversold"....especially when trying to check in after midnight!

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Resort fee.

Also service fees, mandatory fee because the room has an in room safe, air conditioning fee, porterage/bellperson fee, package delivery fee, mandatory gratuities for housekeepers, etc.